F
Posted By
fergusf
Jun 1, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all, I just purchased adobe photoshop elements v3.0; it seems to be a powerful tool but my question is this: can elements v3.0 search my computer for duplicate images? I have saved the same images in different folders over the years in case I might delete some originals! now I have lots of the same photos taking up space on my pc, can elements v3.0 help me?

thanks in advance,

FergusF

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CW
Colin Walls
Jun 1, 2005
It can help you, but not do the whole job.

Assuming your pictures are from a digital camera, they will normally be displayed in order of taken date. So, identical pictures will be adjacent to one another and hence easy to spot.

If that doesn’t do it for you, there is another possibility. Come back if you need it.
MD
malcolm_denton
Jun 1, 2005
Fergus……

Check out iPhoto Diet <http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~fuhrer/personal/freestuff/>
MD
malcolm_denton
Jun 1, 2005
Fergus….

Apologies, this is for Mac only.
F
fergusf
Jun 8, 2005
Thanks Colin,

this does not work well for me, so if you have an other option, I would appreciate it…

FergusF
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 8, 2005
Here is another way to find similar/identical images: Select an image and click Find/By Color Similarity with Selected Photo(s).

This command has an odd name, as it looks images that are generally similar and orders the display of images accordingly.

If the results are disappointing, try a catalog recover, with the reindex option checked. This may take a few minutes, but can improve matters.

Are your identical files going to have identical filenames?
MD
malcolm_denton
Jun 8, 2005
Fergus……

Version Tracker for Windows lists several ‘duplicate image finders’ on

< http://www.versiontracker.com/php/search.php?mode=basic& action=search&str=find+duplicate+images&plt%5B%5D=wi ndows&x=16&y=4>

V.T. is a useful source of software information for Mac & Windows.
F
fergusf
Jun 9, 2005
Hi Malcolm, there are some very useful sites on version tracker, I will check them out. I think a program like psev3.0 should be able to find duplicate images.

thanks again,

Fergus
J
johnrubio
Jun 9, 2005
Fergus

Here is my suggestion

Download a free trial of ACDSEE 7.0 – It has an extremely powerful duplicate image file finder based on images (not just based on date or file name I think) – Lucky for Adobe, other than that the program is buggy and was released before it was ready – However, I had no problem searching several thousand images and deleting their copies.

I hope someone at Adobe discreetly checks out this feature of the ACDSEE software – Elements organizer really needs it.

John
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 9, 2005
John

How does this feature score over Organizer’s command for finding similar images? [See my post #5.]
JJ
Jim_J
Jun 9, 2005
John,

Rather than hoping… put it in the feature request area, then it will definitely be seen. 😉

Cheers

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections