RM
Posted By
Russ_MacDonald
Jun 1, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I first installed PSE3, the NEF editor worked as it is described in the help files, and in the Scott Kelby book.

Now, however, when I open an NEF, it comes up with a different, much smaller, window that says ‘RAW Adjustments’ in the blue window stripe at the top, and the only adjustments available are the white balance preselects and EV. All the other adjustments are missing; ie, contrast, saturation, etc. Also, when I save the image, it forms a PSD file that I cannot use layers with. The layers options are mostly grayed out.

It’s like it is calling up a different older? editor now, for some reason.

Did I just set something wrong? Or have I somehow corrupted PSE3? Do I need to reload it?

Thanks,

Russ

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RM
Russ_MacDonald
Jun 1, 2005
I also realize that I loaded Nikon Capture since the last time that I worked with NEF’s using PSE3.

Has anyone noticed any interference between PSE3 and Nikon Capture? Does anyone successfully use both?
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 1, 2005
It’s a known issue over in the ACR forum- an install of Nikon capture will also install its own RAW processing plug in which takes over from Adobe Camera RAW- you need to go digging into your Elements plugins folders and get rid of the Nikon one.
RM
Russ_MacDonald
Jun 1, 2005
After more research, I have found that when I installed Nikon Capture 4.2, it put a plug-in named ‘Nikon NEF Plugin.8Bi’ in my plug-ins directory under ‘/editor only/file formats’.

I found that if I simply remove this plug-in, PSE3 works properly again.

The question is: Why would installing Nikon Capture put a plug-in into PSE3 that overrides the PSE3 RAW Editor? Does Adobe know about this?
RM
Russ_MacDonald
Jun 1, 2005
Susan,

Thanks for your reply. I guess I posted my last comment before I saw yours. So, I eventually came to the same conclusion.

It sure seems wrong, though, for Nikon Capture to go into Adobe PSE3 and make changes – without even asking if you want it to!
DM
Duncan McBride
Jun 2, 2005
I think this started out as a feature and has become a bug. Photoshop Elements 2 did not support Camera RAW. However, Nikon Capture (and the freeware Nikon View) installed a plugin so that NEF files would open for limited editing and then open in PSE2. That was very convenient.

Unfortunately, now that PSE3 supports RAW, the Nikon installation either overwrites or takes precedence over ACR (I can’t remember which).

It’s a known problem, and the best solution would be for Nikon to modify its installation program to detect the PSE version, but I don’t expect it will. Unfortunately the problem usually occurs for a relatively new user who has just installed the program and doesn’t know what to make of its behavior.

Duncan

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections