MD
Posted By
malcolm_denton
May 30, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just in case it gets lost in the other topic, I can confirm what Tom Murray posted in ‘Problems logging onto this forum’ .
At <http://www.forum4designers.com/forum40.html> I entered my name in the search box,and all my previous posts were listed ???

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MD
malcolm_denton
May 30, 2005
I should add that all messages up to 19th May are listed.
MD
malcolm_denton
May 30, 2005
Is this site a potential security problem ?

It is powered by vbulletin which has two advisories listed against it on <http://secunia.com/product/3212/#advisories>
BH
Beth_Haney
May 30, 2005
I know I ain’t going back; I took a quick peek and then got the heck out of Dodge!

I did see a posting from either earlier today or late yesterday over there. It was the one about the serial number for the downloaded version of PSE 3.0, where Ray responded it would be e-mailed out.
PA
Patti Anderson
May 30, 2005
I don’t like this at all. What can we do to get them shut down?

Patti
I
imacgirl
May 30, 2005
I did a search to find out who owns the domain and came up with this <http://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/whois/results.jhtml ;jsessionid=52YF54QBDOVCACWMEAQCFEQ?whoistoken=0&_reques tid=212619 >. Maybe Adobe can contact them and tell them to put a stop to the hijacking of their forum!
BH
Beth_Haney
May 30, 2005
My guess is that the threads are being loaded from a newsreader. If I’m right, I doubt there’s much Adobe can do. We can hope I’m wrong, because I don’t like the looks of it either. I don’t use a newsreader, but I know my posts still show. The reason I’m thinking it’s coming from a newsreader is because I noticed a couple of e-mail addresses as "". I think that’s the default address for anyone who doesn’t supply a valid one.

Go Daddy is, I think, a web hosting outfit that just sells space. ???
TM
Tom Murray 1
May 30, 2005
My fear is, that when this thread shows up on the other forum, a black hole will form and all our computers will be sucked into it.
CW
Colin Walls
May 30, 2005
What happens if you post/respond on that forum?
MD
malcolm_denton
May 30, 2005
Colin……

If they’re copying all the messages from this forum,you won’t have to !!
JC
Jane Carter
May 30, 2005
That is really strange, they’ve copied everything from this forum! Is that legal?
Maybe I will get a ruler and whack their knuckles, thats what we got in school when we copied other people’s stuff.
Jane
G
GrampaHugs
May 30, 2005
I don’t know why this bothers any one. Just brows to
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/adobe.photoshop.elements

& you can read any message posted to this group since May 2002. Click the "About this group" link at the top of the page to see how many messages people have posted.

The group hasn’t been "hijacked". The site
<http://www.forum4designers.com/forum40.html> is just a web based way to access a Public newsgroup.

Alex,
BH
Beth_Haney
May 30, 2005
"…is just a web based way to access a Public newsgroup."

Just as I suspected!!! The world continues to make no sense!

Why log on to a forum to see posts placed in a newsgroup from a forum? Duh. 🙂 I give up.
CW
Colin Walls
May 30, 2005
Why log on to a forum to see posts placed in a newsgroup from a forum?

This forum is just a newgroup with Web access provided by our good friends at Adobe. These other ones are just other providers of Web interfaces to the same newsgroup.

If I understand it right … [Alex?]
G
GrampaHugs
May 30, 2005
Colin Walls wrote:

This forum is just a newgroup with Web access provided by our good friends at Adobe. These other ones are just other
providers of Web interfaces to the same newsgroup.

If I understand it right … [Alex?]

Well this is actually a web based forum hosted by Adobe on their web server. They mirror the messages to their news server which shares that information with other news servers.

That way people (like me) that get an Adobe product with another product can just do a search for elements on their ISP’s news server or google to find a web based mirror of the group & ask questions.

I read the group on my ISP’s news server for a long time before I found out there was a adobe news server & a web based way to access the group.

I know that messages posted to a non-adobe news server don’t get posted here. I don’t know if messages posted to the non-adobe web forums make it here.

Alex,
PA
Patti Anderson
May 30, 2005
What really bugs me about this site is that words in your posts are hyperlinked — words you did NOT hyperlink yourself. If you mouse over the links you can see a What’s this link on the popup. Apparently this is called IntelliTXT:

What is IntelliTXT? It is a third-party technology created and distributed through Vibrant Media Incorporated, developed to locate keywords & phrases found within text and link them to relevant commercial information. IntelliTXT is identified with a double-underline and all corresponding text ads are clearly marked with “Advertisement” or “Sponsored Link”.

Something just ain’t right about this…

I brought the subject up on the PS Windows forum, but many folks just don’t care and wonder why I even mentioned it. Sigh.

Patti
TM
Tom Murray 1
May 31, 2005
Excuse me for straying but;
Who ever said watch out for the PS forum was right.

There are some very jaded, unhappy people answering questions there.
BH
Beth_Haney
May 31, 2005
Everybody is allowed one lapse, Tom. We won’t hold it against you.

It really is a shame. I haven’t "visited" there for quite a while. I was thinking of dipping my toe in the water again, but maybe I’ll just take your word for it that things haven’t changed. What do they call the poor guy that gets sent out ahead to test for danger?! Thanks! 🙂
MM
Michael_Moody
May 31, 2005
Hi Beth. Why log on to a forum to see posts placed in a newsgroup from a forum? Because the ng posts don’t get to the forum site. I tried for over a year to communicate with the wonderful forum folks from the ng before I found you couldn’t.

I use the ng to read all the posts with just two clicks, without the double logging-in the forum requires. If I want to post a question/comment or reply I use the forum site. (Like now)

I kind of like the current arrangement.
JJ
Jim_J
May 31, 2005
Sorry for the delay folks…I’m looking into it.

Cheers
G
GrampaHugs
May 31, 2005
Hi Michael,

To access the web forum all you need to do is make sure cookies are enabled & sign in with your username & password set when you registered PSE.
Then save the link when you get to the user to user web forum page. You should then be able to just click that link to come straight to the web forum.

To use a news reader to access the forum, Open a New Account in your news reader & set adobeforums.com as the ‘News server (NNTP)’ using the same username & password as above. Depending on your news reader you may not be asked for a username & password until you go to post, make sure that Save this info is checked so you don’t need to enter it again. You then can read all the messages & post messages that do get posted to the web forum.

Alex,
MM
Michael_Moody
May 31, 2005
Thanks, Alex. I should have picked up that trick myself, but so rarely get on the "real" forum that it never occurred to me. That’s why this group is so helpful.
JJ
Jim_J
Jun 1, 2005
Hi Folks…

Just an FYI, Adobe is looking into it.

I’ll be posting a little comment shortly.

Cheers

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections