Associating .jpg files with CS3 in Windows XP Home, Folder Options, File Types tab

P
Posted By
photodgr
Aug 28, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Question:
I am having trouble associating JPG & JPEG file extensions in Windows. I have PSD, TIF and NEF associated with CS3 but when I remove and double-click on the JPG file, it doesn’t appear in the list of programs and when I browse and select CS3 it doesn’t add CS3 to the list. I have been able to associate JPG with Photo Elements instead of the default Fireworks FX.

When I right-click on a file and select open with, Photoshop CS3 isn’t an option. When I browse and select the CS3.exe file it doesn’t add it to the list of programs.

In the spring I tried CS3 Beta and then removed it after it timed out. I downloaded the CS3 upgrade and installed it from the harddrive.

Any suggestions?

I am currently using XP Home with 512K of Ram on a Dell system.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

S
SteveCohen
Aug 28, 2007
P
photodgr
Aug 30, 2007
Thanks for lead. Barry’s comments below worked fine. Problem solved!

"Barry Rumack
RESOLUTION: I spoke with Adobe Technical support, reinstalled and did many things without success. They decided it was a Microsoft problem. I spent time with Microsoft 800 642 7676 and they solved the problem but discovered that it was an Adobe problem. Open Tools, Folder options, File types and find jpg (there are three) and look below to see if it says Change and Restore or Change and Advanced. If it says Change and Restore then set the file association (temporarily) to Windows Fax Viewer which is one of the recommended choices. That will then result in having it state Change and Advanced. Click on Advanced. Select Edit. Now you see the full path of the application and you need to browse to Program Files, Adobe, Adobe CS3 and photoshop.exe and select it. Now lower down it says Application. Make certain it says Photoshop. Now that jpg will be associated with Photoshop CS3. Do the same for the other two and any other extensions that are not working properly. Now when you right click and open with you will see Photoshop CS3 and can check the box (if you want) to always open with it and then when you double click on a picture with jpg it will open in Photoshop. Unless you do this the browse in Open With does not fix the problem. Microsoft indicated that the help menu does not provide this other path. The corruption in the first place is related to installation of Adobe Photoshop CS3 and is NOT a Microsoft problem."

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections