G
Posted By
GuyM
Aug 28, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have created some artwork in CS2 and sent it off to my colleague to review. He is using Photoshop 7 and when he opens the PSDs I sent, the layers appear to be flattened into one background… is this a known issue?
Is there a way of saving in CS2 so that my friends with PH7 can open it up successfully? Thanks
Sorry if this is answered elsewhere..

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
johntolliday
Aug 28, 2007
From Adobe’s website..

Set Maximize PSD And PSB File Compatibility to Ask

Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility increases the size of your file by attaching a flattened copy of your image when you save your image. In past versions of Photoshop, you didn’t need to keep this option on. In Photoshop CS2, however, a small amount of extra data is included in the file when you choose this option that ensures that PSD and PBS files saved in Photoshop CS2 will open in previous versions. Additionally, when this option is on, and you open a Photoshop CS2 image in a previous version with a feature in it that cannot be supported by the older version, Photoshop will display a warning.

If you are saving files in Photoshop CS2 for use in older versions, then save them with this option on (that is, set to Ask or Always).

To change the Maximize File Compatibility option:

1. Choose Photoshop > Preferences > File Handling.

2. Change Maximize PSD And PSB File Compatibility to one of the following:

— Ask: Prompts you to maximize file compatibility when you save.

— Always: Saves with maximized file compatibility without asking.

— Never: Does not save or prompt you to save with maximized file compatiblity.
G
GuyM
Aug 28, 2007
thanks – will try it
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 28, 2007
If you colleague is only reviewing it, save it as a PDF.

Bob
G
GuyM
Aug 28, 2007
Thanks Robert
But he needs to review all the layers etc. to make sure the effects etc are balanced correctly and other stuff
And also so that he can make amendments and send them back
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 28, 2007
In my opinion, a collaborative workflow such as the one you’re describing requires that both parties be using the same version of the software.

Anything else is a crapshoot.

Bob
G
GuyM
Aug 28, 2007
Yes BOB I might agree normally…but this is NOT a professional setup…we are designing an album cover and sending off to the printers…I am not prepared at this point to downgrade my setup to that of the printers or to demand that they upgrade theirs in order to prepare my artwork…what I needed was suggestions for working the problem

However if I win the lotto I will look into it, I promise :0)
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 28, 2007
There is no 100% assurance that you’ll both be looking at the same thing if you’re both using different versions.

You need to save with maximize compatibility and make sure you don’t use any features in CS2 that didn’t exist in 7.0. I’m going to repeat my earlier advice…send him a PDF and collect his comments. Make the changes yourself. It’s the safest way.

Of course, you’re free to handle this any way you’d like but PS doesn’t have a save as for a specific version.

Bob
G
GuyM
Aug 28, 2007
Hi Bob
Appreciate the tips and I will send a PDF across for them to use as reference.

The main problem is that the Printers need to examine the text layers, as their print technique(as I have found previously), relies on these being rasterised and processed independently as prep for the actual print process.

If they can open the files and see all the layers, then they can print process them and us send back PDF test reference sheets so as to demonstrate how they will look when printed. We can then make comments / adjustments our end / re-send to them (and repeat process until all parties have agreed)

I have indeed kept the effects to a bare minimum to stay away from NEW CS features where possible.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections