Icons at bottom of layes palette remain grayed?

DE
Posted By
David Ellis
Oct 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I open a TIFF in PS7, the icons at the bottom of the layers palette are not available. I’ve tried saving the file as a .psd and reopening it, but this does not help.

In the Missing Profile dialog box that appears when opening the file, I’ve tried each of the three options to no avail. PS7 working space is Adobe RGB (1998). The TIFF is converted from Canon RAW. Running on winXP (sp1).

What am I doing wrong?

–David

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

F
franktlcc
Oct 15, 2003
What am I doing wrong?

–David

you have to have added a layer for the two icons to the left to activate.

frank
DE
David Ellis
Oct 15, 2003
Oooops!
The TIFF is 16-bit and I forgot PS7 doesn’t speak Layers in 16-bit. Must wait for CS. Excuse the post.
–David
N
nomail
Oct 15, 2003
David Ellis wrote:

When I open a TIFF in PS7, the icons at the bottom of the layers palette are not available. I’ve tried saving the file as a .psd and reopening it, but this does not help.

In the Missing Profile dialog box that appears when opening the file, I’ve tried each of the three options to no avail. PS7 working space is Adobe RGB (1998). The TIFF is converted from Canon RAW. Running on winXP (sp1).

What am I doing wrong?

A RAW file is more than 8 bits per color, so it is opened in Photoshop as a 16 bits per color file. Photoshop 7 doesn’t support layers in files with more than 8 bits per color, so that’s why these buttons are greyed out. Photoshop CS does support this, but in the meantime you will have to go back to 8 bits per color if you want to use layers.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
K
Keefy
Oct 15, 2003
Try double clicking the layer.

Keefy

"David Ellis" wrote in message

What am I doing wrong?

–David

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections