DB
Posted By
Dan Brot
May 27, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to create an album w/ creation wizard. In step 2 when "adding photos" from a collection that when reviewed in Organizer all files are fine, I get error messages that "files are missing-do you want to reconnect?" The when I go back to "All Photos" the files that previewed fine before have "?" where the files were. I then reconnect to retrieve the original files and all appears ok UNTIL I try to create an album again then it starts all over!! Anyone have a suggestion to the problem??
Dan

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CW
Colin Walls
May 27, 2005
Have you moved some of the image files somewhere? Reconnection is only necessary if an image is not located where the database [catalog] thinks it is.

If that’s not giving you any cluse, try a catalog recover [File/catalog/Recover]
DB
Dan Brot
May 27, 2005
If I use "update thumbnail or follow the "reconnect" prompts both do the same thing. I have tried to comapre all other files in PSE3.0 and all appear to be exactly the same. I can see all pixs in "Collections" and in Organizer, all have associated file names and can be located in a "search". Now I have also discovered that when I restart PSE that the collections file I have been working on has many "?" in the thumbnail. Next..I randomly took unassociated file pixs created a album page and when I saved it it appeared for 2 seconds or less in the Organizer the disappeared completely..a search in WinXP found nothing. I have also discovered that in Scott Kelby’s How To Manula for PSE 3.0 his How To create an album doesn’t work with the contact click method whatever that is..I treid to call Adobe and was rudely hung up on after being on hold for approx 30 minutes..Thanks for your help..Is there a way to check the file association in PSE3.0 that would give this recoonect error??
CW
Colin Walls
May 28, 2005
I have to ask you again:

Have you moved some of the image files somewhere?

I mean outside of Organizer.

Did you try my suggestion to recover the catalog?
CW
Colin Walls
May 28, 2005
Is there a way to check the file association in PSE3.0 that would give this recoonect error?

You can see the pathname in the Properties pane in Organizer. This shows you where it thinks the image file is located.
DB
Dan Brot
May 28, 2005
Excuse my not answering one of your initial questions Colin….The only file movement was within PSE I guess…I edited a few pictures but what is puzzling is that pixs thet were not moved in the collection are "missing files". I am not aware of any files moved outside of PSE. I also have not tried "Recover" I will try that today also. Thanks for your input! dan
DB
Dan Brot
May 28, 2005
Colin, I now have another major problem..the creative album will not save. When I hit the save button WITHOUT exiting the creation wizard you see the newly created album displayed in the "all photos" of the Organizer…THE SECOND I EXIT THE CRAETION WIZARD THE ALBUM DISAPPEARS FOREVER AND CANNOT BE LOCATED ANYWHERE IN WINXP. NO RECOVER, RESTOR , SEARCH LOCATES IT OR ANYOTHER ALBUM I CREATED…
DB
Dan Brot
May 30, 2005
Colin..I use the "recover" command and that opened up another "can of worms." I was required to use my b/up cd and the files were recovered but put in some strange places. There is someting wrong with PSE3.0 and this Collection. The only thing done is that after initial downloading the files were put into a collection and some were edited other than that nothing. I am at a lost and can get NO support from anyone even Adobe. I understand from different forums that PSE3.0 has some "issues" and that trying to get Adobe to address them is very hard. They don’t feel the few minor problems warrant a "patch" or their time.
CW
Colin Walls
May 30, 2005
Dan

Are you confusing "Recover" with "Restore"?
O
o3v3tz
May 30, 2005
Dan,

I think that you now have several different questions. I might be able to explain why you originally saw the Creation "disappear" from the Photo Browser.

However, I think that this is separate from the current questions about Recover and Restore.

When I hit the save button WITHOUT exiting the creation wizard you see the newly created album displayed in the "all photos" of the Organizer…The second I EXIT the Creation Wizard the Album disappears forever and cannot be located anywhere in WINXP.

The key factor here may be that you said you EXIT the Creation Wizard. You did not say specifically how you exit the Creation Wizard and that is potentially the problem.

I can reproduce what you described by doing the SAVE of the Creation in Step 4 (at which time the Creation is visible in the all photos of the Organizer). Now if in Step 5, I then use the "X" in the upper right corner of the Creation window to EXIT, the Creation thumbnail does disappear from the Organizer.

However, if in Step 5, I click on the DONE button, I receive a notification window titled "Creation Complete" with text "Your creation has been saved and is selected at the top of the Photo Browser. The Photo Browser is the area …".

-Did you click on the Done button and did you see the "Creation Complete" window I described?

-When you go to the View menu and select Media Types, does it show the box for Creation checked (so that Creations are displayed in the Photo Browser)?

the Album disappears and cannot be located anywhere in WINXP

The definition of which photos are in the Album and their associated captions is stored in the Elements catalog; it is NOT a Windows file and therefore you can not find it with Windows Explorer.

One of the optional choices in step 5 is to "Create a PDF", if you click that choice the PDF file of the pages is saved as a normal PDF file that can be located with Windows Explorer.

Barb O
DB
Dan Brot
May 30, 2005
Colin and Barb:
Colin..you asked me if I tried to recover the files v. reconnect..I tried both. Everything is "meshing" together at this point. Files that were not disconnected before now are disconnected upon trying to solve the problems. They weren’t moved,copied,changed…outside of PSE.

Barb..You are correct and I BELIEVE(?) I exited incorrectly..since then I did select "DONE"(which I think I selected initially but cannot be sure at this point)and so far so good. Now on the files..When the "missing file/reconnect box" is shown is shows me the path..it is in MyDocs/My Pic/Image_xxxx.jpeg..if I do a search on that exact file..Windows sez cannot locate YET the file can be found and the path is the same just PSE has put it somewhere else..the reconnect seems to always work. Yes I agree if it can be found I am doing something wrong..but how did the file get where it is if I didn’t even select it???
O
o3v3tz
May 30, 2005
When the "missing file/reconnect box" is shown is shows me the path..it is in MyDocs/My Pic/Image_xxxx.jpeg..if I do a search on that exact file..Windows sez cannot locate YET the file can be found and the path is the same just PSE has put it somewhere else..the reconnect seems to always work.

Sorry but I don’t understand the "When the "Windows sez cannot locate YET the file can be found and the path is the same just PSE has put it somewhere else"

When you use Windows Explorer to look at My Documents and you find the My Pictures folder, can you then see the Image_xxxx file in the list of files on the right hand side of the window?

AFTER the Reconnect completes, within PSE Photo Browser select the thumbnail then tell us – what path does it now show in Properties?

Barb O
DB
Dan Brot
May 31, 2005
The exact same path that it displayed when the "missing file" /"reconnect 2 -sided "find" box appears with the "missing file" on the left and the empty but reconnect select box on the right. And I forgot to mention that when you return to the Organizer some addtl boxes now have "?" where the "missing files" are now(replace the image file.

Part 1 of your question…when the 2 sided "missing file/reconnect" box appears the left side displays the missing file and its path..then you choose possible collections listed on the right and select "reconnect" when it does reconnect..I check the "Properties" and see that the file association is exactly what was displayed in the "missing file" left portion of the "reconnect box". Just for a test I went to Search/Find..entered the files path and it came back "could not locate" yet right clicking on the file showed the path and it was virtually the same.????
I have been on 3 other PSE 3.0 forums and it appears this is a common problem that started when PSE 3.0 was launched and yet has not been resolved. I tried to call Adobe and after 30minutes on "ignore" and the "canned" "we have never heard of this b4" They hung up on me….
O
o3v3tz
May 31, 2005
have been on 3 other PSE 3.0 forums and it appears this is a common problem that started when PSE 3.0 was launched and yet has not been resolved.

Nothing that you have posted leads me to believe that the problem you are experiencing is the same Reconnect problem that most others have experienced. The reason is that other people can find their photo files with Windows Explorer, but Elements will not Reconnect them.

So I suggest that you use Windows Explorer and look at your entire list of Photo Files in the Folder that Elements Properties is displaying for a photo. Do not use the Windows Explorer search, but instead look at the entire list of photo files. Then post your results.

Barb O
DB
Dan Brot
May 31, 2005
Thanks Barb I will try that. I have been able to "reconnect" all photos that were labeled "missing file" but my question is still unanswered..why is PSE doing this when there was no movement outside of PSE with that 1 collection? It continues to happen each and every time I exit and open PSE 3.0 and that 1 collection.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections