N
Posted By
nioor
Aug 27, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been using Photoshop for about a year now, and it’s worked fine on this system:

P4 2.6GHZ
512 MB DDR RAM
Geforce MX4000
40GB Maxtor IDE
60GB Seagate IDE

But recently I upgraded my computer, swapped the 2 hard drives for 1 160GB western digital, swapped the MX4000 for a 6800XT and added a 512MB DDR400 ramstick, and now Photoshop is having memory problems.

Every time I start Photoshop it starts to drain all the available physical memory (usually 700-800mb) down to 4MB and takes up about 2GB of paging files space, until everything slows down to a slideshow, and I’m forced to ctrl-alt-del and end-process it. Once it’s ended all the memory/paging instantaneously comes back.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I’ve tried reinstalling to a different partition, allocating as little memory as possible from the preference dialogue and setting the priority of the process to higher. Nothing works 🙁

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
PECourtejoie
Aug 27, 2007
Since you changed different hardware, check:
That the new ram slot is properly seated. Also, it might be faulty, or not compatible with the other. Try with 512, then swap it with the other. Does your motherboard use RAM in Dual channel mode, read the user guide.

Check that you are using the latest videocard drivers.

Check Photoshop’s preference settings for the scratch disk.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections