Best "Sensible" Video Card for CS3 on a PC?

DM
Posted By
David McKeen
Aug 19, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I’m rounding up specifications for a new PC based on Intel LGA 777 /975x. It’ll have a Core 2 Quad Q6600, Hitachi Deskstar 1TB data hard drive, separate WD740ADFD (10K RPM, 74GB) drives for OS and apps, and Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4. I need recommendations for a video card for Photoshop use that would not hold me back but would not be an overkill, since I won’t be doing video editing or gaming. Suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,

– Dave

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 19, 2007
Anything with 128MB RAM or above, with dual outputs for two monitors.
DM
David McKeen
Aug 19, 2007
Hey- thanks for that. Any good experiences with a card that fits the requirement? I mean some people have better experience with ATI/nVidia and different card makers. And some cards within one manufacturer’s lineup become more popular than others. I’d just like to skip reinventing the wheel. :o)

Thanks – Dave
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 19, 2007
My card is an ATI FireGL V3100 with 128MB DDR unified graphics memory.

It’s a couple of years old now but runs Photoshop CS3, and a bunch of other graphics applications, often simultaneously, without a hitch.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Aug 19, 2007
David,

I’ve had no problems with my XFX 7600GT (nVidia) 256MB GDDR3 PCIe x16 graphics card < http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150 182>, with either PSCS2 or PSCS3, XP or Vista. The NewEgg link provided has it priced at US $120. The fan was a little loud, but only because I was getting a bit anal about trying to see how much I could quieten my system. Regardless installng a passive Aerotech cooler on it did quieten it while still providing adequate cooling. I’ve seen fanless versions of the 7600GT available in the past, but not today…they may be getting phased out in favor of newer card designs. All that said, the stock card wasn’t so loud as to be objectionable; I was merely aiming to see what I could do.

Regards,

Daryl
DM
David McKeen
Aug 20, 2007
Hi Daryl,

Thanks! I’ve already printed out the XFX rebate form for that card. :o)

Hmm…, how did you go about finding a passive cooler for that card? I’m always learning something new. Exciting.

Say, were you active in the CompuServe forums- way back when??

– Dave
DM
David McKeen
Aug 20, 2007
John,

Thanks for that additional info.

– Dave
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 20, 2007
the 7600 is a good card.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Aug 20, 2007
David,

How did I find a passive cooler for the 7600GT? By waiting, and waiting….until finally NewEgg had the AeroCool Accelero S2 < http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186 017> available for $22. I’d read reports of that cooler being compatible and also effective, so I just kept an eye open for it until it showed up, then I snagged one….without quite paying attention to just how wide it was. I had a conventional 12cm fan installed on the side panel of my PC that I had to remove, because the cooler extended too far; I’m now debating installing a slim 8cm x 15mm fan on the side panel to regain a bit of the lost cooling the earlier fan provided. The overall result should, with a proper fan, still be quieter than was the original fan on the graphics card. Photos of the cooler relative to the card, as well as assembled, may be seen on this linked page <http://ambress.com/pc/cooling_mod.htm> of my website, if you scroll to the bottom of the page.

Regards,

Daryl
DM
David McKeen
Aug 20, 2007
Hey Gang, how about the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT that was reviewed in CPU mag September 2007, page 24? It looks like a massive overkill, but for the price, overkill is OK. It’s in NewEgg for $144.99.

– Dave

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections