TA
Posted By
Tony Aulds
Sep 5, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to mosaic 2 pictures. I usually select the area that don’t match and free transform them to match. However, all of the transformations effect more than one side. To get the images to match I need to Be able to pull the Top up with out the other sides moveing or geting longer or any thing else.

Is there a way to to this.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 5, 2003
Sorry man, I have no idea what you are trying to do. Can you give more detail or perhaps post a picture of what you’re trying to accomplish then tell us the link?

I don’t know what is going wrong in "matching" – hard to visualize.
PH
Photo Help
Sep 5, 2003
Tony Aulds,

It sounds like you want to extend the height of the background. Blue sky perhaps? you can increase your canvas size and select just a small portion of the top and transform the selection, but you don’t want to stretch a small area too much or it can make the image look very unnatural. You may need to come back in with the clone tool to clean things up.

Sorry if that isn’t what you wanted. and example would help a great deal.
TA
Tony Aulds
Sep 8, 2003
Sorry for the confusion.

Let me try again.

I’ve got 2 photos. The one on the left has 3 roads. The one on the right overlaps the one on the left and all the roads line up vertically. However the center of the right image needs to be farther left. The top matches perfect. The bottom matches perfect. I want to be able to pull the left side of the right image in without moving the top left or right corners. I also don’t want the right side to change.

I hope this is a better description.
Is there a way to do this.

Thank You
PH
Photo Help
Sep 8, 2003
Edit -> Tansform -> Skew
TA
Tony Aulds
Sep 9, 2003
Skew does not work because it moves 3 sides. I only want to alter one.
PH
Photo Help
Sep 9, 2003
Tony,

Is Edit -> Transform -> Distort more of what you are looking for?
TA
Tony Aulds
Sep 9, 2003
Distort doesn’t work either because it will still move more than one side. I want to be able to lock 3 sides and alter the fourth. Kind of like having 3 strait sides and a curved side.
LB
larry brubeck
Sep 9, 2003
Dont think theres a way Tony. If you moce the top the sides have to stretch to fit the top.
DM
Don McCahill
Sep 9, 2003
I think maybe you can solve your problem with another tool. How about using the clone tool to move the bits of the one layer to where you want them to be. More work, but probably more accurate.
PH
Photo Help
Sep 9, 2003
I concur with Don. It sounds like Tony wants to use a bezier curve to distort one edge of the image. This may be possible with pluggins but not with standard tools.

You may be able to use a distort filter on a selected area but it would be very difficult to control.
S
Stroker
Sep 10, 2003
Looks like I’m late to the party.

Sounds like a job for Displace. Build a D-Map like so:
sidedistort01.jpg < http://w3.chrlmi.cablespeed.com/~halmich/ozone/sidedistort01 .jpg>

And it will do this with Horizontal only:
sidedistort02.jpg < http://w3.chrlmi.cablespeed.com/~halmich/ozone/sidedistort02 .jpg>

Tweak the Curves Ad-Layer to taste and play with the Horizontal percentage. Hopefully you can see how the Curves Ad-Layer affects the distortion.

I can show you how to build it with even more tweakness if you really want me to.

Any questions?
W
whozit
Sep 10, 2003
Ctrl+T for free transform, hold down the Ctrl key while you drag any corner to skew that particular side/edge. Much more control than Transform>Skew.
PH
Photo Help
Sep 10, 2003
Stroker,

As I said before distort filters are difficult to control even with your adjustment layer. The way you have your map configured it would displace the portions of the picture that are already aligned.

I hope it works for Tony, but I still believe, like Don, that warping the edge of the image is not the best solution for this type of work.

Tony,

If you do decide to use a displacement map focus and placement are key. The gradated area should not cover the entire canvas A 50% gray should be used wherever you don’t want distortion to occur.

If you can post the images you are having trouble with I am sure we can give you a more detailed solution.
S
Stroker
Sep 10, 2003
Well, I did make one mistake. Tony wants the left, not the right side, to be distorted. In my D-Map, all you have to do is invert the Layer Mask to move it to the other side. No big deal.

Photo Help, using Displace with precision for this kind of thing certainly is possible, and easier than most think. In my above example, the Gradient is tweakable with the Curves Ad-Layer. You can even add the same kind of tweakness to the Layer Mask. And it can be done with near pixel perfect precision.

This is what Layer palette for just such a D-Map looks like: sidedistort03.gif < http://w3.chrlmi.cablespeed.com/~halmich/ozone/sidedistort03 .gif>

With that D-Map, you can target *any* part of photo/graphic, and move it horizontaly, or swerve it, while leaving the corners and/or the sides intact (but you don’t have to), as your heart desires. Combine that with a little knowledge of Math < http://w3.chrlmi.cablespeed.com/~halmich/tech-slop/math2/ind ex.shtml>, and you can be as close to perfect as you care to be (some mathematical mistakes in that discussion, see the note at the bottom).

That’s my rant.
Time to digress.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections