Posted By
Hecate
Oct 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
On 14 Oct 2003 01:28:13 GMT, (HMSDOC) wrote:

I would like to also do a bit of gamiong though the system is primarily for Photoshop. I was thinking of an ATI 9600 or 9800 card. I also considered the Matrox Parhelia. However, some of the drivers for 875 chipset motherboards have caused some difficulty for some based on some internet posts. I also understand that with 2D Matrox is perhaps a tad better but most folks seem to think they are fairly similar but for 3D the ATI wins hands down. Both support dual, or in the case of Parhelia..3, monitors though I hear that Matrox dual support is a bit more vigorous. But all I would want with duals is pretty basic.

Yes, exactly right. If you want to play games as well, then get one of the Radeons. The Matrox cards are superb at 2D but, well, rubbish at 3D 😉

You don’t find that a 21 and 17 incher is too much for a desk you are sitting close too? Do you find you have to look to one side to see the secondary monitor well?

I have a 19 and a 17, and yes, I have to look slightly to one side, but as my work area is on the 19 in front of me, and I therefore spend most time looking at that, it doesn’t matter. In any case, from an ergonomics point of view, having to look away at one screen and refocus on another is good for your eyes.

I was thinking of a LaCie 19 or 21 inch CRT as the primary.
They’re good monitors. Look at the Iiyama 19 and 22 as well – I use the 19 and it’s excellent, and had excellent reviews. HAven’t seen the 22 but it’s had excellent reviews as well. And you may find they’re cheaper. I buy Iiyama almost always. They have one advantage over people like LaCie – they are purely monitor manufacturers and they’ve been around a long time. That’s why they’;rwe always winning awards. To give you an example of why that matters, Iiyama use the same tube, built by Mitsubishi, that Mitsubishi use ion their monitors – yet Iiyama monitors almost always get better reviews than Mitsubishis.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

H
hmsdoc
Oct 15, 2003
Interestingly, LaCie also uses Mitsubishi tubes.

Howard

To give you an example of why that matters, Iiyama use the same tube, built by Mitsubishi, that Mitsubishi use ion their monitors – yet Iiyama monitors almost always get better reviews than Mitsubishis.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui

H
Hecate
Oct 15, 2003
On 15 Oct 2003 03:06:03 GMT, (HMSDOC) wrote:

Interestingly, LaCie also uses Mitsubishi tubes.

Howard
Ah, didn’t know that. Yes, that is interesting 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections