Photoshop grayscale is not gray on CS3 for me.

C
Posted By
chaoticmonk
Aug 17, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

I’ve had this problem for a long time. My gray scale isnt actually gray… its more black to yellowish to white instead of black to gray to white.

I managed to fix this problem in Photoshop CS by changing the RGB field under the Working Space section in color settings from sRGB IEC61966-2.1 to Monitor RGB.

I have recently installed CS3 and the problem came back and no matter which RGB color setting I use it won’t get fixed.

<http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/710/testdx9.jpg> Here is an image showing what I mean. The top bar is what it looks like while I’m working on it in CS3 and the bottom bar shows what it comes out as after I save (or when working in CS).

Although it shows up that way on CS3, when I save it comes out fine.

Any ideas?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
chrisjbirchall
Aug 17, 2007
You need to update your monitor calibration.

Adobe Gamma stopped shipping with CS3. If you didn’t uninstall CS2 (or CS) you should still have Adobe Gamma in Control Panel and Adobe Gamma Loader in your Start menu. If not, reinstall CS – it will live quite happily alongside your new CS3.
B
Buko
Aug 17, 2007
What chrisjbirchall said Your monitor profile is bad remake it.

and you should never, never, never use your monitor profile for your working space.
C
chaoticmonk
Aug 18, 2007
What should I be using instead of my monitor profile then?

I’m guessing the Adobe 1998 RGB file but when I choose that I get the same issue with the grayscale thing.

I redid my monitor profile and now any previously saved image I open comes out with the grayscale fine but any new document I create still has the issue =/
B
Bernie
Aug 18, 2007
What should I be using instead of my monitor profile then?

You want a device independant profile as your working space.

AdobeRGB is a good one.

I redid my monitor profile and now any previously saved image I open comes out with the grayscale fine but any new document I create still has the issue =/

you did trash the old one right?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections