where can i find DVD tutorials for photo shop commercial use.

AM
Posted By
andre_michael
May 24, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
where can i find DVD tutorials for photo shop commercial use.

1)I want to get into Madison avenue advertising & print design, without spending 10,000 for a art school.

2)I want to be able to design my own ads for products: jewelry,cosumer goods etc…

3)write my own beautiful copy ,design movie posters & book covers etc….

Ive been searching high & low & all i can find is the same old damn CD tutorial stuff you know,"understanding the basics or how to distort a damn picture."

They dont teach you the fun stuff, you got to go to art school a pay a fortune for that.

There are 1 or 2 books that barely get into this topic but i learn better with the DVD tutorials.

please don’t recommend indesign or anything like that cause im in love with photo shop

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CW
Colin Walls
May 24, 2005
Frankly, you’d learn more hard information from books, working along with them. A 2 hour DVD is likely to have about as much real information as a 50 page book.

Having said that, go look at Amazon. Deke McClelland did a bunch of DVDs fo Total Training. They are supposed to be good.

BTW, if you’re serious about becoming a pro, by all means "cut your teeth" on PSE, but you will need to get full PS, along with Illustrator and InDesign, in due course.

You said:

please don’t recommend indesign or anything like that cause im in love with photo shop

They are not competitive. PS is wonderful, but not a page layout program. ID is not an image processing program. If you want to be a pro, part of the skill you need is to recognize and use [and master] the right tools for the job.

2 more hints if you’re going to do copy writing too: Get "Eats Shoots and Leaves" and find the spellcheck button. However, I have met very few people who are great graphics designers and good copy writers. These skills use different sides of the brain. So an individual tends to be one or the other.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 24, 2005
Andre,

I do agree with Colin on the subject of Books v DVD’s … DVD’s will not contain the same quantity of information as books. Also DVD’s will tend to be geared to the "hobby" market.

…. there are some books around that cover commercial work. Have you looked at Photoshop Classic Effects by Scott Kelby? That covers quite a few of the techniques you mention … and Photoshop CS down and Dirty Tricks has even more.

Another thought is that it may be worth your while joining NAPP … as their site is mainly commercial work:

<http://www.photoshopuser.com/>

Wendy
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 24, 2005
The commercial disc duplicators, like discmakers.com and oasiscd.com, have templates and instructions for commercial artists on their websites. As Colin implied, the majority of these will be for Illustrator rather than PS.

If you want to get into commercial graphics production, you must also master the thorny subject of Color Management. I’d strongly suggest a good book on that, too, because you need to understand all about topics like emulsions, inks, dot gain, screens, color separations and other issues inseparable from prepress CMYK work.
TM
Tom Murray 1
May 24, 2005
Lots of color management info here;
<http://www.gballard.net/psd.html>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections