BR
Posted By
Barry_Rowland
May 23, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can someone give me the rough steps to arrange 2 portrait images side by side and then resize/crop them so that I can use them for desktop wallpaper?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CW
Colin Walls
May 23, 2005
Which version of PSE? On Windows or Mac?
BR
Barry_Rowland
May 23, 2005
Windows 2.02 … tia
CW
Colin Walls
May 23, 2005
I will assume that they are both about the same size now. Here are the brief steps, ask if you want more detail:
Open both images.
Resize the canvas of one to be twice the size with the original image on one side. Go to the other image and do CTRL/A, CTRL/C [select all, copy]. Close that image.
On the enlarged image do CTRL/V [paste].
Select the move tool and you should be able to drag the 2nd image into place. Flatten the layers.
Select the crop tool and set the dimensions to match your screen [e.g. 1024px and 768px]. Draw the crop you want [which can be the whole image if the aspect ratio is right]. Now do Save As, choosing JPEG of reasonable quality.

You’re done.

There are 10 other ways to do this …
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 23, 2005
Barry

There are a bazillion ways to do this. Here is one.

1) Set Grid preferences to 50% …. Edit > Preferences > Grid …. Grid lines = 100 Percent, Subdivision =2
2) Select a blank image the size of your screen, this will be your wallpaper.
3) Make sure both Grid and Snap to Grid is selected under the View menu.
4) Use the Rectangle Marques tool and select Half of your Wallpaper canvas.
5) Go to your first portrait and copy it.
6) Return to your Screen canvas then use "Paste Into Selection" it is under the Edit menu.
7) Select the Move Tool and resize your image to the way you want it to fit.
8) Go back to 4) and repeat the process with the other panel and other
portrait.
9) Save you image and set it as your wallpaper

Grant
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 23, 2005
Wow Grant …

Thats a new one for me 🙂 🙂

Thanks for the tip

Wendy
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 23, 2005
Wendy

You are welcome.

While it looks like there are lots of steps it is very fast, easy and accurate.

Grant
BR
Barry_Rowland
May 23, 2005
thanks Grant – that worked well & taught me lots!! BUT now I see my length to width ratios are different 0.75:1 on the original picture versus 0.6′:1 on the screen. Can you educate me further as to how to make a selection from the origianl image in the 0.6′:1 ratio??

Maybe its as simple as displaying the size in pixels of my selection as I’m making it!! … I’ve worked out the size the selection needs to be but don’t know how to display the size of my selection on screen and then adjust it to be just right ;-(

TIA
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 23, 2005
Barry

Again there are several ways. Because both are different ratios you will have to loose something or at least make a compromise. If you want to keep the same ratio you will have to pad the rest of the image with a "boarder". Alternatively you can maintain the original ratio but crop or let Elements crop your image for you. In the method I put forth earlier try this. When you resize with the Move Tool hold down the <Shift> key and pull on of a corner handle. This will maintain the original aspect ratio. Make it larger than the masked area, position it to your liking and you will have a new image in the new aspect ratio all be it cropped but it not at all distorted due to the different ratios.

Grant
BR
Barry_Rowland
May 24, 2005
Colin … apologies I did not see your reply … THANKS!

Colin Walls – 9:32am May 23, 05 PST (#3 of 8) Select the crop tool and set the dimensions to match your screen [e.g. 1024px and 768px].

How do I get the diemnsions of my crop selection? … ie I want to make it exactly 1024 x 768 or at least in that aspect ratio!

TIA
Barry
BR
Barry_Rowland
May 24, 2005
Thanks again Grant

Grant Dixon – 1:02pm May 23, 05 PST (#8 of 9)

How do I see the dimensions of my crop selection??

When I click n drag to define the cropping frame I don’t know what size it is ;-( Is there a way of displaying the size in pixels? … that way I can select a portion of the image in the right aspect ratio.

TIA
Barry
CW
Colin Walls
May 24, 2005
The Crop tool has options, amongst which you can set the dimesions of the crop. Not quite sure how to access these options in PSE 2.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 24, 2005
Its just the same in PSE2 as in PSE3 …

Wendy
BR
Barry_Rowland
May 24, 2005
ahah .. a colleague just showed me what I was looking for which combined with Grant & Colin’s advice has me a happy camper 🙂

the extra bits were related to how to make the exact selection.

I’m either …

– use the fixed aspect ratio or fixed size style options for the select tool (drop down on a toolbar)

OR

– display the Window | Info and set it to display pixels so that when I darg a selection I know how big it is as I’m doing it

Thanks ALL 🙂
Barry

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections