ML
Posted By
Mel_Lewis
May 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When trying to burn files to a CD I was unable to do so and received the message that the file was"locked" and that the files were "read only." Can someone tell me how to unlock files so that I may copy them to a CD?

Mel Lewis

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JJ
Jim_J
May 22, 2005
Mel,

This usually only happens with files that are shared by differing applications. Are you trying to edit at the same time by any chance?

Are you running other applications? They may some how be conflicting with PSE.

Cheers
MF
Michael_Foden
May 22, 2005
Mel

This maybe my quirky set up, but I’ve always found that TIFF files are ‘read only’ & & I cannot get to put them on CD whichever way I try. I just use JPEG. Once you’re ready to put on CD, you are presumably thru with editing & so there is no need to keep TIFF’s.

Mike.
CW
Colin Walls
May 22, 2005
Mel, Mike

If you inspect the properties of an offending file with Windows Explorer, does it show read only?

A read only file can be copied, so there’s no reason why you can’t burn them to a CD. Something odd is going on here …
MF
Michael_Foden
May 22, 2005
Colin,

I can’t remember if I inspected properties of the TIFF files that I couldn’t copy – it was last year, all I recall was that the offending files were a massive 22MB each. When I changed to JPEG, all was OK.
I don’t use TIFF anymore.

Mike.
ML
Mel_Lewis
May 22, 2005
The suggestion about the Tiff format was correct. When I saved the file in JPEG, I was able to copy it. Thanks to all
Mel
R
Roy
May 22, 2005
wrote in message
Colin,

I can’t remember if I inspected properties of the TIFF files that I couldn’t copy – it was last year, all I recall was that the offending files were a massive 22MB each. When I changed to JPEG, all was OK. I don’t use TIFF anymore.

Mike.

Hi.

Rather amusing "massive 22 Mb each".

Even a 6Mp Camera will produce 8 bit 18Mb Files, or 16 bit 36Mb files. Any moderately good Film Scanner will produce 8 bit files of 30 Mb. A 5400 Ppi Scanner will produce 8 bit Files of around 120 Mb. Work in files like that at 16 bits, open a few layers and they will be over 500 Mb before you notice. That is beginning to get big.

As for your Tiff Files being "Read Only" it will be a Windows thing.

Is Windows Fax / Picture Viewer trying to open them. Go to File Options for Tiff and change the "Open With" to P. Elements. That might help. There is also a way of doing this in Elements, but I can’t remember how.

Roy G
CW
Colin Walls
May 22, 2005
Sorry, I just don’t believe this. How can the type of data within a file have any effect upon whether is is read-only or not. Could you try just copying one of the TIFF files, without changing its format or anything. Then see how that behaves.
BH
Beth_Haney
May 22, 2005
Wow. Colin and I don’t always agree on things, but I’m with him 100% on this. There is absolutely NO reason why a TIFF file will not copy just because it’s a TIFF. There was/is some other reason why there’s a problem. Archiving only JPEGs to CDs often defeats the purpose of both using TIFF format in the first place and archiving special files.

Please do as Colin asks and see if this is a system wide problem. If it is, you might want to check into that aspect of it. I’m primarily a Mac user, but I have successfully archived large files in both PSD and TIFF formats to CD on both the Mac operating system and Windows.
CW
Colin Walls
May 22, 2005
We have our moments Beth … 🙂
BH
Beth_Haney
May 22, 2005
Do you suppose the world is coming to an end?! 🙂
ML
Mel_Lewis
May 22, 2005
I think that I am going to chalk this up to the mysterious Gods of computerdom because when I went to another folder and tried to copy a Tiff file, I was able to do so. We all know that the world works in wonderous ways and this is just another example, as though we needed yet another mystery.

Thanks,
Mel

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections