SD
Posted By
S_Deitsch
May 21, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently downloaded the PE3 trial to see whether I should move up from PSA2 which I’ve been using for a couple of years. Unfortunately, I’ve concluded that I just don’t have the time to work through the required learning curve. For now I’d just like to go back to PSA2. However, since converting the catalog over to PE3, I’ve imported lots of new photos and tagged nearly 6000. How can I get back to using PSA2 without losing all of this work?

Thanks so much for any help.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CW
Colin Walls
May 21, 2005
If it’s just tagging, then it is not too hard. Just use File/Write Tag Info to Files. Then go to PSA 2 and import the images – all th etags will be imported too.

I am bemused by your comment about the learning curve. Organizer is, if anything, easier to use than PSA 2. Editor gives you lots of capabilities and does take a while to become an expert with, but starting out isn’t too hard.
SD
S_Deitsch
May 22, 2005
Thanks Colin,
I currently only have PE3 on my computer. I read on this forum that there are some issues about the order in which the two programs are installed/uninstalled. Do I just reinstall PSA2 and PE2 from the installation CD or do I need to uninstall PE3 first? Also, sorry to be dense, but where do I do point PSA2 for the import? Do I import a catalog file, the actual photos in windows explorer, or something else. Thanks for your help!
Sarah
CW
Colin Walls
May 22, 2005
Do I just reinstall PSA2 and PE2 from the installation CD or do I need to uninstall PE3 first?

Going that way, it doesn’t matter, but I’d uninstall PSE 3 first.

where do I do point PSA2 for the import?

To where the photos are stored. But make sure you’ve written out the tag info in PSE 3 before you trash it.
SD
S_Deitsch
May 22, 2005
Can I import from the most recent PE3 full backup? I don’t want to imort straight from the folders in Windows Explorer b/c they include extraneous photos that I don’t want in Photoshop but that have not been deleted from the hard disk for various reasons. I’d just like to import the exact group of images, tags, etc, that make up the current PE3 catalog.
Also, how do I write out the tag info in PSE3?
I’ll wait on uninstalling PE3 or installing PSA2 ’til I make sure I have done what I need to regarding the tags. Thanks for taking the time to spell it out for me.
Regards,
Sarah
CW
Colin Walls
May 22, 2005
Can I import from the most recent PE3 full backup?

No. I think that is very unlikely to work.

I don’t want to imort straight from the folders in Windows Explorer b/c they include extraneous photos that I don’t want in Photoshop but that have not been deleted from the hard disk for various reasons. I’d just like to import the exact group of images, tags, etc, that make up the current PE3 catalog.

Hmm. Tough. You could export [File/Export] all the [new] images to a new folder, then import from there. Then clean up the other folders at your leisure. This would export the tag information automatically.

how do I write out the tag info in PSE3?

File/Write Tag Info….
SD
S_Deitsch
May 22, 2005
OK. I went back and wrote the tag info in PE3. A dialog box came up that said it can only write tags for JPEG, TIFF and PSD, and all others will be skipped. I clicked ok and it did something for a few minutes and then finished. However, most of my images end in .JPG not any of the 3 mentioned above (there are also a fair number of .MOV movie clips but mostly jpg). So, did writing the tags accomplish anything or do I need to save all these images as some other file type first? Also, when I went to file/export it asked what format I wanted to export as. I don’t know which one to choose. Thanks!
CW
Colin Walls
May 22, 2005
JPEG files are normally type .JPG
You can check by looking at the metadata properties [in Organizer] – you’ll see IPTC keywords for all the tags.
I’m afraid that the movie files can’t carry tags. You’ll have to retag those. When you export, choose "Use original format".
SD
S_Deitsch
May 22, 2005
OK, I did a select all and then exported all to a new folder on the hard drive. Should I now uninstall PE3 or leave it on the computer until PSA2 is successfully installed and the photos imported?
CW
Colin Walls
May 23, 2005
I would leave it there in case there’s something to go back and do.
SD
S_Deitsch
May 25, 2005
OK, I think they all imported and the tags are there too. Thanks so much for your help. Left PE3 on the computer and am looking forward to working with it as time permits.
CW
Colin Walls
May 25, 2005
Good to hear you’re sorted.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections