K
Posted By
Karl
May 19, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have two computers on my home network with roughly equal capabilities of speed, memory, and disk space. One computer has WinXP and the other has Linix. I have both GIMP and Photoshop Elements 2. I expect I will eventually learn both programs, but which would be best to start out on. My need is to correct and print pictures from my digital camera.

Karl

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JT
Jim Townsend
May 19, 2005
Karl wrote:

I have two computers on my home network with roughly equal capabilities of speed, memory, and disk space. One computer has WinXP and the other has Linix. I have both GIMP and Photoshop Elements 2. I expect I will eventually learn both programs, but which would be best to start out on. My need is to correct and print pictures from my digital camera.

They’re both capable programs.. Best bet is to try them both and decide which one you like. It doesn’t hurt to be fluent in both.

I didn’t like GIMP that much initially, but when i switched to running Linux full time, a few years back, I started using it rather than rebooting to run Windows and Photoshop. Now that I’m used to it, I prefer the GIMP to Elements.

I use GIMP mostly for editing photos from my digital camera.
LE
Leonard Evens
May 20, 2005
Karl wrote:

I would start off with the Gimp. Also, read the book "Grokking the Gimp" by Corey Bunks. You can find an online version through a link on the gimp website. It is the best introduction to photoediting that I’ve found. Once you understand how to do the important basic operations with the Gimp, you shouldn’t have any trouble learning to use Photoshop Elements, should you want to do that.

Photoshop Elements is relatively weak compared to the Gimp. The last time I checked, it didn’t even have a curves tool. That tool is the one I use for practically every photoediting task.

Karl
RM
Robert McKee
Jun 7, 2005
Karl wrote:

Karl

Kark,
If you want to print pictures, I suggest using Digikam and the Kipi plugins. It has a very nice print wizard that allows you to size pictures on a sheet of paper.

Robert

Mandriva 2005 x86-4
Kernel 2.6.11-6
Athlon 3700+
2gig Ram
SATA 250Gig HD

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections