eddie
May 18, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
Using PS 8.
When using Photoshop I and led to believe that it is useful in many ways to copy the background to a new layer so not effect the original image. As this makes the file twice the size am I correct on deleting the original background layer.
If not – why not and if so then apart from reducing the file size – why. Pretty new to all this so any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Eddie

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Roy
May 18, 2005
"eddie" wrote in message
Hi,
Using PS 8.
When using Photoshop I and led to believe that it is useful in many ways to copy the background to a new layer so not effect the original image. As this makes the file twice the size am I correct on deleting the original background layer.
If not – why not and if so then apart from reducing the file size – why. Pretty new to all this so any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Eddie
Hi there.

If you are about to start manipulating an image, it is much safer to make a Copy of that image and do the work on the copy. If you really screw things up, you can always go back to the original and make another copy to work on.

If you screw up your original image, that could be the end of it.

Making a duplicate background layer, and working on that is not quite so good, because it doubles the size, and that might slow your machine up, and you could still do something that would damage the original.

However, a number of manipulations can be tried out on an Adjustment Layer, and it is very easy to switch between the layers to see the effect, and to adjust the opacity of the second layer to reduce the effect. These Adjustment Layers do not add much to the size of the image.

Perhaps that is what you were thinking of?

Roy G
E
eddie
May 19, 2005
Hi Roy,
I had apologised because I meant to put this into Photoshop widows group,but thanks for taking the time to reply,I guess that answers my questions but once I copy the background layer is there any reason why when I have done any corrections to the copied layer and I am satisfied that I shouldn’t delete the original background layer.
Eddie

http://www.cloudninebridal.co.uk
"Roy" wrote in message
"eddie" wrote in message
Hi,
Using PS 8.

Eddie
Hi there.

If you are about to start manipulating an image, it is much safer to make a Copy of that image and do the work on the copy. If you really screw things up, you can always go back to the original and make another copy to work on.

If you screw up your original image, that could be the end of it.
Making a duplicate background layer, and working on that is not quite so good, because it doubles the size, and that might slow your machine up, and you could still do something that would damage the original.
However, a number of manipulations can be tried out on an Adjustment Layer, and it is very easy to switch between the layers to see the effect, and to adjust the opacity of the second layer to reduce the effect. These Adjustment Layers do not add much to the size of the image.
Perhaps that is what you were thinking of?

Roy G
R
Roy
May 19, 2005
"eddie" wrote in message
Hi Roy,
I had apologised because I meant to put this into Photoshop widows group,but thanks for taking the time to reply,I guess that answers my questions but once I copy the background layer is there any reason why when I have done any corrections to the copied layer and I am satisfied that I shouldn’t delete the original background layer.
Eddie
Hi Eddie.

I am not advocating making a copy background layer.

I am suggesting that you should make a separate copy of the file and work on that.

If you work on a copy background layer you could screw it up, and you could also screw up the original layer. You then do not have the original to go back to, and start again.

If you work on a completely separate copy, you can not do any damage to the original file whatsoever. So you always have the assurance that you can go back and start again.

I do not even keep the working versions in the same folders as the originals. I have an "In Progress" folder, and the completed pictures then get moved into "Finished" folders.

I copy the originals onto Cds before starting any manipulation, and archive them, because it is possible to re-use them to create another diffferent picture, or a different version.

If you have an image with a number of layers, the easiset way is just to "Flatten"

Roy G
E
eddie
May 19, 2005
Hi Roy,
Thanks for the reply,I do keep all originals in their own folder and like yourself put other stuff in the "WIP" file and back up to DVDs,usually now with the psd – jpeg and anything else relating to one image together, learnt the hard way as a lot of people do.
I always start with a copy layer and go from there.
Eddie

"Roy" wrote in message
"eddie" wrote in message
Hi Roy,
Eddie
Hi Eddie.

I am not advocating making a copy background layer.

I am suggesting that you should make a separate copy of the file and work on that.

If you work on a copy background layer you could screw it up, and you could also screw up the original layer. You then do not have the original to go back to, and start again.

If you work on a completely separate copy, you can not do any damage to the original file whatsoever. So you always have the assurance that you can go back and start again.

I do not even keep the working versions in the same folders as the originals. I have an "In Progress" folder, and the completed pictures then get moved into "Finished" folders.

I copy the originals onto Cds before starting any manipulation, and archive them, because it is possible to re-use them to create another diffferent picture, or a different version.

If you have an image with a number of layers, the easiset way is just to "Flatten"

Roy G

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections