BP
Posted By
Brenda_Pace
May 17, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to do a primary and secondary sort. I thought if I put my flower pictures in collections by region and tagged them by color that I could choose the yellow flowers in a particular region. But I get an error that I CAN"T use tags to sort a collection. How can I do a primary and secondary sort? Must I go back and add another tag to each with the region?
Brenda

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CW
Colin Walls
May 17, 2005
If by "sort" you mean get images in a particular order, then collections are your only option. Tags are filters, but do not confer a sequence.

You can use as many tags as you like at one time, but you can only use one collection at a time and you cannot combine collections and tags.

I would suggest that you need a tag for region and a tag for colour. That way you can easily select all the red flowers in California, for example. Is that what you’re after?

To quickly convert from a collection, just create the new tag, assert the collection, select all the images [CTRL/A] and drag on the tag.
BP
Brenda_Pace
May 18, 2005
Thanks Colin. But, I don’t think I can use as many tags as I want at a time. For instance, if I want pink and purple flowers (two different tags)for a region, I get the entire list. Same the other way. If I want all pink flowers in two regions, I get the entire list. That’s why I was asking about a primary and secondary sort which is common to any database. I wonder if the more expensive Photoshop has a better database than Photoshop Elements.

Brenda
O
o3v3tz
May 18, 2005
Brenda,

I think what you want is
California and (pink or purple)

If you have a Tag for each region and a tag for each color, suggest you try this

Click on California (or the name of some region tag), which should give you the binoc symbol in its box and display all the photos with that tag. Then right click on a the tag name for a color other than purple or pink and choose Exclude Photo with … tag from Search Results. Continue doing this for every color except Pink or Purple.

Also be sure that you are only displaying Matching : Best

I think that this will give you the results that you want.

The Organizer does not have full Boolean search capability. The NOT capability was added in this version and does help for some situations. More extensive Search capability is a common request for the future. If you have specific requests in that area, you can post in them in the Photoshop Elements 3 Feature Requests folder on this forum.

Barb O
CW
Colin Walls
May 18, 2005
Also be sure that you are only displaying Matching : Best

I think that this is a key point.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections