B
Posted By
bob733
May 17, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Today, I took a Word document (that had graphics and text) down to the printers to have some brouchures made. The Proof came out duller than I thought it should have. They told me that I probably had 72dpi and it would print better if I had 300dpi. They said to save the graphics as a 300 dpi Tiff or EPs file for their printers (and not to give them Jpg, PNG, or Gif).

The document I want has text and graphics. They said for the straight Text, it was ok to use word. For the graphics, use PSE and if there is any text on the graphic (there is), it was ok to use a text layer but to flatten it and save as a 300 dpi TIFF or eps. I can then import that Tiff or Eps graphic into the word document.

So, what is the best way to do get the 300 dpi picutes using PSE. Assume I have a picture (jpeg) of a sunburst. Can I open that picture (assuming it looks ok on the screen) in PSE, add a Text layer and save it as a PSD (first for future use) and then a 300 dpi TIFF or EPS (that will be imported into the Word document)?

And if so, how do I specifiy the 300dpi the printer needs for the images.

Thanks in advance as always.

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CW
Colin Walls
May 17, 2005
First off, my pedantic bit: it’s PPI, not DPI. DPI is a meaningless parameter mentioned by inkjet printer manufacturers.

Now to look at your problem:

Open the image, and do Image/Resize/Image size and report back here with the 5 values that are displayed.
BH
Beth_Haney
May 17, 2005
Uh oh. This is a deep and kind of complicated subject. The trick will be the source of your original sunburst. If it’s already the correct dimension and only 72ppi, you may create a whole new problem when you try to kick it up to 300ppi.

Start by posting the specs about the image (in its original form) you want to use so people know what you’ve got to work with. That’s easier than an entire treatise on resolution, upsampling, etc.
CW
Colin Walls
May 17, 2005
Beth: I think we’re on the same track … 🙂
BH
Beth_Haney
May 17, 2005
Yeh, but you’re going to have to take it from here, Colin, ’cause I gotta go out for a while. Good luck; the two of you will do fine. Probably better if I’m not around. 🙂
B
bob733
May 17, 2005
Have to go get kids at bus stop but here are qucik stats:

jpg file
size 68,244
demisions 772x638x24(rgb)
hight 638
memory size 1,381,908
print size 4.81 x 4.25
resolution 150 x 150 dpi
resolution (dpi) 150 x 150 dpi
width 722
x resolution 150
y resolution 150

I want this starburst to print on the upper right hand of the brouchure page.

Hope this helps and thanks for the help
CW
Colin Walls
May 17, 2005
2 more questions:

Which version of PSE do you have?

How big do you actually want to print the image? 4.81×4.25?
B
bob733
May 17, 2005
PSE 3.0 and as to the size, not quite sure but as it will be in the upper portion of the brouchure page, I will assume 4 inches by 4 inches plus would be a good starting point.
CW
Colin Walls
May 17, 2005
OK. Go to that Resize dialog, check Resample Image, select Bicubic Smoother and set Resolution to 300 PPI.

This is pushing the image quite a long way, as you have just doubled its size. Depending on the particular picture, it could be quite reasonable. You now have something to put your text on. Let us know how you get on.
R
RSD99
May 17, 2005
The first thing to realize is that you are using the WRONG software for this task. Micro$loth Wurd is known to do terrible things to virtually any image or graphic used in one of it’s "documents." Instead:

(1) You should use a word processing program (Micro$loth Wurd, and etcetera) … for word processing.

(2) You should use an image editing program (Adobe PhotoShop, PhotoShop Elements, and etcetera) … to prepare your images.

(3) You should use a page layout program (Adobe InDesign, Quirk Express, Corel Ventura, Serif PagePlus, or even … perish the thought … Micro$loth Pub$lasher, and etcetera) … to assemble your final document.

wrote in message
Today, I took a Word document (that had graphics and text) down to the
printers to have some brouchures made. The Proof came out duller than I thought it should have. They told me that I probably had 72dpi and it would print better if I had 300dpi. They said to save the graphics as a 300 dpi Tiff or EPs file for their printers (and not to give them Jpg, PNG, or Gif).
The document I want has text and graphics. They said for the straight
Text, it was ok to use word. For the graphics, use PSE and if there is any text on the graphic (there is), it was ok to use a text layer but to flatten it and save as a 300 dpi TIFF or eps. I can then import that Tiff or Eps graphic into the word document.
So, what is the best way to do get the 300 dpi picutes using PSE. Assume
I have a picture (jpeg) of a sunburst. Can I open that picture (assuming it looks ok on the screen) in PSE, add a Text layer and save it as a PSD (first for future use) and then a 300 dpi TIFF or EPS (that will be imported into the Word document)?
And if so, how do I specifiy the 300dpi the printer needs for the images.
Thanks in advance as always.

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections