May 12, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Topic
elements 3

Judith 2468 – 12:45pm May 12, 2005 Pacific

Been using Elements 3 for 6 weeks and all ok. This morning I was able to access all my photos in organiser ok but when I try to move to editor application I get ‘Unable to continue because of hardware or system error’. Then ‘Unable to connect to editor application’. I have just gone onto broadband and changed my anti-virus software at same time, nothing else has changed. I have also found that ‘Picture It’ will not load so the problem is related to photos as everything else works ok. I do not know what to do. Help would be appreciated. Thanks Judith

———————————————————— ——————– Reply To This Discussion | Back to Topic List | Bookmark | Change Subscription To start a NEW discussion click on the Back to Topic List link and select Add Topic. If you are in an archive forum please go up to the main topic list (archives are read only).

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 12, 2005
Judith,

A forum search for "connect + editor" (without the quotes) turned up several threads. The suggestions included a reset of preferences and a clean reinstall of Elements. Only one that I could find reported back that the reset worked.

Take a look here for a good way to reset:

Colin Walls, "Denied access to editor application" #1, 15 Apr 2005 3:10 pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

Your situation appears to be different since Picture It died, also, but at least this may get PE going again.

Sometimes the installation of new software (the virus scanner, for example) can cause problems for previous installations. If the reset does not work I would try this:

Uninstall with Control Panel/Add or remove Programs.

Since uninstalling leaves a lot behind that could be corrupted do this:

Delete C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements; C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\PhotoshopElementsHelp; C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements. (Replace USER NAME with your user name.)

Then go here for clean install instructions:

<http://www.delorme.com/support/installxp.asp>

(Obviously all references to Delorme software should be replaced with PE.)

Click where it says " Click here for a printer friendly page." and print the instructions.

Ignore the To Uninstall section.

Follow all of the instructions under To Install and, most important, steps 1 through 5 of After the Installation. Do not connect to the Internet at any time until you have completed the last steps since you will have no anti-virus or firewall protection.

Note: The instructions don’t mention that after the Restart in Step 6 of To Install you will get a Window titled System Configuration Utility. Just click OK. The System Configuration Utility window will open. Click OK again and continue. This will go away after you complete "After the Installation".

I know this is a lot of work but I follow clean install procedures religiously and have very few PC problems.

You might want to also uninstall and reinstall Picture It in the same sequence to save going through all the steps twice. I don’t know what Picture It might leave behind on an uninstall, though.

Come back and let us know either way. If this doesn’t work maybe someone else can come up with another solution.

Bob
J2
Judith_2468
May 13, 2005
I believe I have removed all Elements including pse update. However cannot reinstall – am getting ‘Setup has detected a more functional product installed. Setup will now terminate’. With that the finish screen comes up and setup stops. Judith
CW
Colin Walls
May 14, 2005
I believe I have removed all Elements including pse update

How did you do this?
Are you on Windows or Mac? I assume Win, as you mentioned Picture It. You shoul donly uninstall programs using the Control Panel. Did you do that?
J2
Judith_2468
May 18, 2005
Photoshop Elements 3 was uninstalled. However, someone with more knowledge than me then went into the registry and deleted something there. PSE then recognised no installation therefore I could re-install it. Picture It was then uninstalled and re-installed and all is working fine. So, don’t really know what started the problem in the first place. Thanks for your comments. Judith

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections