N
Posted By
narya
May 11, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
As you might have guessed, I’m back here in the "Main" PSE forum (I was getting bored with the low traffic in the Organizer section), so there’s no need to point me here anymore.

I have dropped the PSA and PSA SE forums, though, as I don’t have these programs installed anymore and my memory is starting playing tricks on me.

Alexander.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CW
Colin_Walls
May 11, 2005
I am consiering a similar strategy for PSA and PSA SE, but I’ll hang out there a bit longer. There are indications that a new SE is in the works …
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 11, 2005
NDA (if it applies to you)… 🙂

Ray
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 11, 2005
Alexander, what are you using if you’re using PSA anymore? What made you change your mind? The answers could benefit other users (and Adobe as well).

Ray
O
o3v3tz
May 11, 2005
Alexander and Colin,

Thanks for the update, Alexander.

I am still doing a limited number of PSA questions, if I have an answer readily available. However, I am not doing PSA SE because I never had SE.

Barb O
JJ
Jim_J
May 11, 2005
Alexander,

Do you use a browser or an OLR. Using OE, I find it quite easy to look through all of them… time permitting of course. It seems more of a pain with the browser, but that could just be personal habits.

I only suggest this because I was having the same thoughts in the German forum until the OLR approach.

Cheers
CW
Colin_Walls
May 11, 2005
Ray

NDA (if it applies to you).

I was referring to the thread that appeared [not from me] that was inviting someone to join the beta programme.
JJ
Jim_J
May 11, 2005
As time permits, I’ll try to get in there more. The organic chemistry is a bit heavier than I expected though so… we’ll have to see.

Cheers
CW
Colin_Walls
May 11, 2005
Alexander

Please don’t start using a newsreader.

<rant>
I get so frustrated by people who do and who fail to follow a whole thread and just reiterate things covered 15 posts earlier …
</rant>
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 11, 2005
The organic chemistry is a bit heavier than I expected though so… we’ll have to see.

I think that’s about the time I decided medecine wasn’t for me.. 🙂 (this and the 17 algebra classes required prior to getting there…)

Ray
JJ
Jim_J
May 11, 2005
LOL… well, you COULD simply set it to pull in the thread. I’ve started doing that when I forget… 🙂

Cheers
JJ
Jim_J
May 11, 2005
Oh… Colin,

I moved that "other" spam post. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 11, 2005
Same here… I set Entourage to filter only unread messages, but keep messages locally for a few weeks. So when I fear what I have to say has already been said.. time to review the thread and set my display to "read and unread messages"

Ray
BG
Byron Gale
May 11, 2005
wrote
…using a newsreader.
I get so frustrated by people who do and who fail to follow a whole thread
and just reiterate things covered 15 posts earlier …

Colin,

Do reiterations by web-based users frustrate you less? Do you perceive that this behavior is exclusive to newsreader users?

I don’t see a connection between the "foul" and the format.

Byron
CW
Colin_Walls
May 11, 2005
Do you perceive that this behavior is exclusive to newsreader users?

Let’s just say that I have seen a correlation between this behaviour and certain folk who I know use newsreaders on both this other Adobe forums. I’m not going to point the finger, but it’s just such a waste of time. I see there’s been a new posting, only to find that someone is very authoritively advising something from a day or 2 back.

I am very protective of my time, but choose to give some of it here freely. I regard that time being wasted by someone else’s laziness/ignorance as almost a kind of theft.
BG
Byron Gale
May 11, 2005
wrote
I have seen a correlation between this behaviour and certain folk who I
know use newsreaders…
I am very protective of my time…time being wasted by someone else’s
laziness/ignorance as almost a kind of theft.

Colin,

I, for one, am appreciative of the time you devote to helping here, and I also abhor the wasting of such a valuable resource.

I believe the key factors, as you point out, are laziness or ignorance — and that the same behavior would be evident from the offending individuals, regardless of the posting vehicle… my point being that the trouble lies not with the tool.

I suspect that this web vs. newsreader debate could parallel the emotion of a Mac/Win argument …I hope I’m not pushing it toward that.

Byron
CW
Colin_Walls
May 11, 2005
my point being that the trouble lies not with the tool

You are probably right. I guess my view is coloured by my perception that the Adobe forum Web interface is so easy and flexible [compared with many] and I have always found newsreaders arcane and confusing [but that’s probably just me – I only have 30 years experience with computers, so I’m still earning].
BG
Byron Gale
May 11, 2005
wrote
…my perception that the Adobe forum Web interface is so easy and
flexible [compared with many]

I heartily concur.

…and I have always found newsreaders arcane and confusing…

Here, our opinions diverge… 😉

On a sincere note, do you feel that my use of a newsreader has had a detrimental influence on our exchange, in any way?

I only have 30 years experience with computers

You’ve got me beat — by a year. In 1976 I started by learning BASIC programming on a DEC PDP11 at the local community college. I still recall the joyous day our terminals were cranked up to the dizzying speed of 300 baud!!

Byron
N
narya
May 11, 2005
Ts, ts, ts – that’s what I’d call thread hijacking 😉

Alexander, what are you using if you’re [not] using PSA anymore?

Well, Ray, PSE 3 of course 🙂 Or did you mean something else?

Do you use a browser or an OLR

Jim, I could never become friends with newsreaders and OE is simply out of the question! No, I’m using my favourite browser and have (now again) "subscribed" the whole PSE folder. (Of course I wish they would make the "read subscriptions" link a bit more prominent, as about twice a day I end up posting empty posts.

Alexander.

Canon Ixus 430 (aka S410) | x86 with XP Pro | PSE v3.0.1 with 3k images | 12" Powerbook soon 🙂
CW
Colin_Walls
May 11, 2005
Byron

On a sincere note, do you feel that my use of a newsreader has had a detrimental influence on our exchange, in any way?

Yes, actually it has in 2 ways:

1) At the top of your posting it says: " wrote". Where did that silly email address come from?

2) When I cut and paste you comment to make the quote below, it has hard newlines, which I have to edit out.

In 1976 I started by learning BASIC programming on a DEC PDP11 at the local community college. I still recall the joyous day our terminals were cranked up to the dizzying speed of 300 baud!!

Luxury! Real computers had a line of lights and switches on the front …

Alexander:

that’s what I’d call thread hijacking

I agree. I’m sorry [but not very]. 🙂
N
narya
May 11, 2005
wrote". Where did that silly email address
come from?

That’s what Adobe adds to every post from the Web frontend. You can customize that via the "preference" link.

Luxury! Real computers had a line of lights and switches on the front

And I had to use punch cards — back when I was a baby 😉
CW
Colin Walls
May 11, 2005
I had to use punch cards

That’s the easy way to program. 🙂

That’s what Adobe adds to every post from the Web frontend.

I don’t see that. Wonder what I customized … Ah, I see: it says "Your email address in NNTP messages". I have no idea what NNTP is. And I can’t really see how to change it. Anyway …
N
narya
May 11, 2005
And I can’t really see how to change it.

I have the option to provide a custom "fixed string" to use instead …
CW
Colin Walls
May 11, 2005
I have the option to provide a custom "fixed string" to use instead

So do I, but the only button at the bottom is "cancel" …
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 11, 2005
Luxury! Real computers had a line of lights and switches on the front …

Now you guys are really making me feel old. I started with Tab Machines; you know, the kind where you wired the "program" on a board.

Real luxury was that first Honeywell 120 with 4k of 6 bit characters, a card reader/punch and 3 tape drives and, oh yes, no OS just a boot card on the front of the object deck and you wrote your own device I/O.

Bob
DS
Dick_Smith
May 12, 2005
Colin,

I get frustrated as well as you do with folks who don’t look at what has transpired in the past on the forums. I don’t, however, feel that it is only people who use newsreaders. I personally like my newreader. I have it set to show all messages in threads and that comes in very handy for reading only the new messages. I do not persoanlly like all the scrolling and page down you have to do with the Forums thru a browser. That being said, I do consult the forms often, especially when I want to search for a specific thing or specific problem.

Dick
TR
Tricia_Roush
May 12, 2005
I agree. I much prefer the threaded newsreader look. I also think it is that sometimes several people "post" at the same time. If your computer’s date/time is set wrong, it can look like it was days ago. (I don’t know how many times I’ve recieved e-mail from my ISP dated Dec 31, 2004, yet it arrived in the last week.)

But, to each his own. It’s like vi vs. emacs, win vs. mac, NNTP (newsreader) vs. web browser. When I was in college (I’m a young ‘un compared with you all (but, I have programmed a PDP11 :-))) all we had were newsreaders, so that’s how I prefer to read my forums.

-Trish
N
narya
May 12, 2005
So do I, but the only button at the bottom is "cancel" …

Ah, I see what you mean – after switching to "preferences" click on the "Email Address Settings" link. A "SET PREFERENCES" button will magically appear. 🙂

started with Tab Machines; you know, the kind where you wired the "program" on a board.

OK, OK, OK, I give up – you win, Robert!
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 12, 2005
OK, OK, OK, I give up – you win, Robert!

I’ll be honest. It was 1965 and because I worked for a very conservative Insurance Company. By ’66 I was out of there and working for Honeywell’s computer division as a systems rep.

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections