OE
Posted By
Olly_Evans
May 11, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just been using PSE3 backup facility. I wanted to do a full backup inc the catalog. It was going to span 3 dvd discs. On entering the 2nd disk the backup wizard flicked almost immediately to ‘Do you want to verify?’ which I did and it passed. It then said that ‘Disc 2 is done’ and prompted for the 3rd disk.

I was suspicious at this stage and checked the disk on another pc – it turned out to not be readable.

So, PSE3 has quite happily failed to backup 1/3 of my files and presumably has marked them as backed up so that they won’t be included in an incremental backup either.

Has anyone got similar experiences or is this a one off?

I was hoping to use PSE3 to run the backups rather than have to buy another tool.

thanks,

Olly

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CW
Colin_Walls
May 11, 2005
I have never heard of a fault quite like this. Have you written DVDs on this machine and read them on the other before. This medium can be temperamental.

Personally, I’d make 2 suggestions:

1) Forget using PSE’s backup and just backup your images/catalog along with other important stuff on your computer. You don’t need to buy any software, the backup utility with Windows is good enough. [I actually use an XCOPY script – also a free option.]

2) Buy an external hard drive. They are dirt cheap, easy to use and tend to be reliable [and may even come with free backup software]. Because they are so easy, backing up becomes a non-issue – just press that button from time to time. You can still burn "archive" DVDs from time to time if you want and keep them at another location to protect yourself from fire/theft.
OE
Olly_Evans
May 11, 2005
Thanks Colin, I thought that might be the answer. FOr the record the DVD burning is reliable normally.

I already use a network drive to backup my files but I want a DVD copy for remote storage.

The problem with MS Backup is that it won’t use DVD devices (or span multiple disks, I can remember which).
NJ
Neil_Jorgensen
May 11, 2005
Take a look at the thread titled
"Adobe requesting feedback on "Seconds" burn to disc (only)" – this is not an unusual problem.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections