Posted By
Kevin_Stecyk
May 9, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I am trying to replicate a pixel pattern tutorial given at the link below.

<http://www.purephotoshop.com/article/118>

The problem that I am having is that I am unable to select certain pixels or blocks and have them colored.

Here are my steps below.

Steps:

1) Open Elements 3.0 Start from Scratch
2) Create New Document: Name, Demo; Height: 10p; Width: 10px; Resolution: 5 px/inch
3) Zoom In as much as possible. Repeated, Control =
4) Edit>Preferences;Guides Grids and Slices and set ‘Gridline every: 2 pixels’ and Subdivisions to 1.
5) View Grid
6) Using the Pencil tool which is set to Size: 1px, Mode: Normal, I hover over the 2px by 2px squares and try to fill in each of the four 1px by 1px blocks. I can’t.

Let’s divide the 2 X 2 into four quadrants, with the upper right quadrant as Q1, and then going clockwise to the upper left as Q4. I can only "color" Q4. I can hover over Q1-Q3, but I am unable to color those quadrants. When I try to color the other quadrants, I usually color Q4 in the block below.

Is anyone else having the same problem? Is there an easy solution? Am I doing something wrong?

I look forward to your suggestions.

Regards,
Kevin

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 10, 2005
Kevin,

Edit Preferences;Guides Grids and Slices

This is the Photoshop Elements forum. Elements does not have Slices so I assume you need the full Photoshop forum. Go to:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/main.html>

Look for "Adobe Photoshop® & Adobe ImageReady®" and click the link to your Platform.

Bob
PA
Patti Anderson
May 10, 2005
Robert, perhaps the user has Elements. You do not need Photoshop or slices to do this tutorial. The gridlines can be set in the same way in Elements, just different terminology. Edit menu>Preferences>Grid. Or use the shortcut…double-click on the ruler and go to the next screen to set the grid.

Kevin, I tried the tutorial and I cannot repeat your problem. Is your foreground color the same as your image color in those areas you cannot color? And you are using the pencil tool, correct?

Patti
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 10, 2005
Kevin …

Try this …

The grideline subdivision should be set to "subdivision 2" … it then shows the four quadrants.

Now when you are working this close painting one pixel can be tricky …hover your pencil more over where the four subdivision gridlines meet then click down. That should fill the lower right hand quadrant … if it doesn’t just do Edit>Undo and try again.

To do the others you need to move a little away from the quadrant itself and then you will be able to do it … try moving a little in different directions and you will soon get the hang of it.

Let me know how you go on 🙂

Wendy
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 10, 2005
Patti,

Since Kevin described his workflow using Photoshop terminology instead of Elements I just assumed that was what he was using. 🙂

Bob
KS
Kevin_Stecyk
May 10, 2005
Hi Patti,

Thank you so much for replying!

My image color is white, gridlines are blue, and color being added is red. I am able to easily color the 4th quadrant, but not the others.

My pencil is set to 1 px, Normal Mode, and Opacity 100%.

Just as I was writing this message to you, I tried Wendy’s solution. It worked. I had the subdivisions incorrect and that apparently stopped me from coloring the various quadrants.

I thank you very much Patti for working through this with me.

Best regards,
Kevin
KS
Kevin_Stecyk
May 10, 2005
Hi Wendy,

Thank you so very much. You correctly diagnosed my problem. Once I changed the subdivisions, everything cleared up immediately.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Kevin
KS
Kevin_Stecyk
May 10, 2005
Hi Robert,

Sorry about the curveball with the terminology. I just copy and pasted from the tutorial for that particular command.

Wendy helped me with my problem, so I am taken care of.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Kevin
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 10, 2005
Kevin …

Glad it worked OK.

I did one of these tutorials the other day and had the same problem trying to get the pixels in the right box … once done they do make pretty good patterns 🙂

Wendy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections