LI
Posted By
LaSalle_Institute
May 9, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there any way to set the default settings for Photoshop Elements 3?

We are using Elements over a large multiuser environment and need to be able to have the default catalogue storage location for all new Elements users to be one place.

Thanks,
Eric
Lasalleinstitute.org

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JJ
Jim_J
May 9, 2005
Eric,

This is a consumer product that was not really designed to do that. I would be very cautious if you intend to use a single catalogue. If you have some network gurus, you might consider setting the file to read-only for secondary users. Because lord only knows what you will end up with if one user decides to remove a file or add files and another decides that the opposite should be done.

Cheers
LI
LaSalle_Institute
May 9, 2005
It actually isnt one catalogue – each user will have their own catalogue.

Each user has their own personal "drive" mounted at start up, we’ll call it the S:\ drive.

then they launch this application over Citrix (our multi user application server).

What I am trying to do is set the default catalogue location to S:\ instead of C:\documents and settings\All Users…

So that they each have their own catalogue. The reason I said "Same Location" is because It will be one location in the preferences for all the users, S:\

Thanks for your comment and suggestion.

Eric
JJ
Jim_J
May 9, 2005
Oh… in that case:

Start PSE, choose Organizer. This will launch the default. Click File, Catalogue, Save As, S:location…

And the next time the user opens up the application is will look for that catalogue. It does NOT prevent the user from keeping a separate catalogue on their computer however… Just an FYI.

Cheers
O
o3v3tz
May 9, 2005
Eric,

Adding to Jim’s comment –
There have been several threads on the topic of controlling the location of the Catalog and its related files in the ELEMENTS 3 ORGANIZER subforum.

One relevant comment from these threads – Alexander posted that

if you use "File > Catalog > Save As" to save the catalog to your external drive, the thumbnail cache should be copied along …

Your environment appears to be a network drive instead of an external hard drive, but I think the results will be the same for you and I think that is what you would want. The file name for the thumbnail cache is tn.4.cache if you want to verify where it is located.

Are you also aware that the Preferences files for Elements are stored under the userid of the logged on user ?

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/328573.html>

includes info on the location of the Preferences files under XP in step 4. There is probably a similar techdoc for W 2000.

I don’t know any way to move these Preferences files. If you find a way, please post back to this thread. I am very interested.

Barb O
LI
LaSalle_Institute
May 10, 2005
Thanks for your replies.

The problem with doing that is that this is in an educational setting and I would have to do this for every student, every time they log in (their user profiles are removed from the server nightly, only their personal files are saved).

Therefor, I was looking for an easy way to set the default settings (I have not found a way). For the time being we are just not allowing them to use the organizer application.

Thank you for you responses. I will try what you suggested anyway and keep working on a way to copy the settings from one user automatically into another users profile every time they log on.

Thanks,
Eric

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections