RG
Posted By
Ron_Goodenow
May 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Suddenly, my 3.0 clone stamp has stopped working. Reboot makes no difference. This is on a machine which required a complicated reinstall (for which this forum helped) about a month ago. I’ve also noticed that the program is hogging incredible amounts of memory, which may be affecting some of its functions.

Note, I have disabled organizer.

I have it running successfully on a second machine (where I have never had any problems)..

Win XP home, 512ram, lots of disc space. Athlon processor.

Thanks for any help. I would like to try some things before attempting another uninstall – reinstall.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
May 8, 2005
The next thing you should try is deleting the Preference folder. It’s been prone to corruption since version one and is usually the first thing we recommend trying when something that used to work properly quits.

With Elements closed, click on the Editor start up icon and make a quick grab for the Control, Alt, and Shift keys. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete Settings. Say Yes. A new folder will build as Elements continues to load. If you don’t get that screen, it’s most likely because you weren’t quick enough. When I do this, I usually have to have my fingers on those three keys before I hit "start." If you just can’t get it out, repost and we’ll post the complete path for deleting it manually.

This might get your Clone tool working properly, but I can’t think of any reason why it should improve overall performance. One thing at a time?! 🙂

Does a restart on a Win machine automatically clear caches?

If you’re working on lots of big files, you might want to consider adding more RAM. 512 is more than enough for most "standard" computer tasks, but Elements is a big hog. I run 1GB on my dual and 1.5GB on the other.
RG
Ron G
May 8, 2005
Did as you suggest and no luck. Tried very large and relatively small files. Also defragged registry. No luck.

I have no idea if a restart clears caches. I run a utility that supposedly kills unneeded files, but am not sure about caches.

Oddly, the program runs perfectly on a laptop with only 256 ram and slower processor, as well as on another computer with 512ram and an Intel processor. It may not like the Athlon, though Elements 1 and 2 got along with it.

Thanks. More ideas welcome!

wrote:
The next thing you should try is deleting the Preference folder. It’s been prone to corruption since version one and is usually the first thing we recommend trying when something that used to work properly quits.

With Elements closed, click on the Editor start up icon and make a quick grab for the Control, Alt, and Shift keys. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete Settings. Say Yes. A new folder will build as Elements continues to load. If you don’t get that screen, it’s most likely because you weren’t quick enough. When I do this, I usually have to have my fingers on those three keys before I hit "start." If you just can’t get it out, repost and we’ll post the complete path for deleting it manually.

This might get your Clone tool working properly, but I can’t think of any reason why it should improve overall performance. One thing at a time?! 🙂

If you’re working on lots of big files, you might want to consider adding more RAM. 512 is more than enough for most "standard" computer tasks, but Elements is a big hog. I run 1GB on my dual and 1.5GB on the other.
RG
Ron G
May 8, 2005
Just started working perfectly out of the blue. Certainly I did not change any settings that I am aware of…but it happily worked on a huge ..tif file. Thanks, and stay tuned…

wrote:

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections