Posted By
Lou_M
May 7, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK, this is really weird.

I took a photograph, and manipulated it in PSE 3. (This is for the Photo Challenge, by the way.) I added a few layers, and on the top layer masked out part of the image (it’s a Levels adjustment layer). Everything looks fine in PSE 3–including the File Browser–but if I click on the image in the Finder, only the masked part of the image shows up in the preview.

Even if I flatten the layers and save with a different file name(!), somehow the Finder only sees the masked part of the image (which, if I understand correctly, doesn’t exist any more because the image was flattened!).

This seems like a system-wide thing in Tiger, because the Preview application only sees the masked part of the image, and iChallenge only sees the masked part, too.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RR
Raymond Robillard
May 8, 2005
It’s if as PSE didn’t refresh the thumbnail. Try to turn the thumbnail off, then save the picture, and turn it back on, and save it again. This will force the thumbnail to be refreshed.

Ray
LM
Lou_M
May 8, 2005
Well, it’s not just the thumbnail, Ray. I can open a full-resolution image in Preview and it still only shows what’s selected by the top-most mask.

I’ve tried it on images I’ve created months ago and have the same problem. 🙁

However, there’s no obvious logic as to which PSD files it affects. Some, but not others. Weird. If I figure out anything consistent I’ll let y’all know.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 8, 2005
Preview has always done that, Lou. There are certain filters, like the blurs, that it just doesn’t like at all. Sorry to hear this isn’t fixed in Tiger.
LM
Lou_M
May 8, 2005
Ouch. Thanks for the tip, Barbara. I didn’t know that.

I don’t usually use Preview to look at my PSD images, but the reason this came up was because iChallenge couldn’t read the file properly either. So it looks like this may be a continuing problem for iChallenge.

The weird thing is, this ‘feature’ also gets transferred to flattened images–at least the first time they’re saved.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections