Image overlay … is this possible in PE3?

D
Posted By
DLMST
May 7, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, can the following be done in PE3? And if so, how please. These steps are for the Nikon D2X but something similar can be done in full blown Photoshop from what I understand. I read of technique in BT Journal, February 2005, Vol 10.1.

Steps to combine two images in camera for enhanced range:
1. Capture one image for detail in the highlights and another for detail in the shadows
2. Image 1, select image overlay
3. Image 2, select image overlay
4. Adjust the gain for Image 1
5. Adjust the gain for Image 2
6. Save your results.
7. You now have a combined image as well as your two original images

Thanks for any help.
Cheers.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JJ
Jim_J
May 7, 2005
If you are referring to a sort of layering, absolutely yes.

Cheers
D
DLMST
May 7, 2005
Really? Great! Do you know how I might replicate this technique? How do I make each image an overlay?

Thanks oodles.
Cheers.
JJ
Jim_J
May 7, 2005
Can you describe what sort of end-product you are trying to create, because you are already talking about layers in another thread. This leads me to wonder if I may be missing that real goal of your project.

Cheers
PA
Patti Anderson
May 7, 2005
Are you wanting to blend two photos taken at different exposures? This is a technique called digital blending, or blended exposures.

Is this what you are wanting to do?:

< http://luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/digital-blending.sht ml>

The tutorial for the layer mask method at the link above is written for full Photoshop, but we can do it a workaround in PSE by borrowing a mask associated with an adjustment layer.

Let me know if this is what you had in mind and I can write up some steps for you.

Patti
D
DLMST
May 7, 2005
Hi. Nope, actually two different things. Sorry for the confusion. 🙂

This one concerns a technique I read about that’s done "in camera". What you are trying to achieve is a photograph with greater range … greater variation between 100% black through 100% white. You shoot two exactly framed images of the same scene keeping f-stop, focal point, etc. all the same. You shoot one image exposing to preserve detail in the highlights, then shoot another image exposing to preserve detail in the shadows. Next you merge these two images so that you have the highlights of the one and the shadows of the other pix resulting in a balanced image with no "blown out" areas. When done "in camera" you get a pretty good result by adjusting the "gain" of each "image overlay".

Hope that makes sense. 🙂
D
DLMST
May 7, 2005
Oops, my reply was to Jim. Patti, I hadn’t seen your response.

To Patti, yes, that sounds about right. I’ll look at the link you mentioned to make sure. Hang on …
JJ
Jim_J
May 7, 2005
So… is your goal to take the separate images in the camera and then do the blending you’ve describe in PSE?

Do you have a reference for the article online? Sounds interesting, but to give you a definitive answer, I would want to make sure that I am understanding you completely.

Cheers
D
DLMST
May 7, 2005
Hi, I’m back. Yep! What’s described in the above link, Patti, ( http://luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/digital-blending.sht ml
) is what I’m trying to do. Great find! 🙂
D
DLMST
May 7, 2005
Hi Jim, yes to your question. The article that I was referring to wasn’t in an online article but in print. Maybe they have an online presence. I’ll look ….

Nope, they do have a site but this volume isn’t online. They have a sample issue online instead. Bummer.
PA
Patti Anderson
May 7, 2005
Here’s the steps. Be sure to work on duplicate copies of your images, so as not to mess with your originals.

Note: I am giving the Windows shortcuts, if you’re on a Mac, substitute Command for CTRL.

Blending exposures, Elements style:

1. Open the two dark and light images on which you want to blend the exposures.

2. Make the darker image the active one. Select all (CTRL+A) and copy (CTRL+V). Make the lighter image active and Paste (CTRL+V) the darker image.

3. The dark layer should be active after pasting. Add a Levels adjustment layer, but do not make any changes, just click OK. We are just going to "borrow" the layer mask associated with it. Drag this Levels layer beneath the dark layer. Make the dark layer active again and then group it with the Levels layer (Layers menu>Group with Previous or CTRL+G).

4. Make the light layer active. Select All and copy.

5. CTRL+Click on the white layer mask on the Levels layer. When you do this the image will go all white revealing the mask. Now paste the light image you copied into this mask. The image will look grayscale, but that’s okay. CTRL+click again on the mask to get out of the layer mask mode.

6. Apply Filter menu>Blur>Gaussian Blur, radius at 40%.

You can of couse fiddle with the Gaussian blur amount to suit your particular image. You might wven want to try one of the blending modes.

Let us know how it goes. If you want to post examples for us to see you can do that here if you like: <http://www.pixentral.com>

Patti
D
DLMST
May 7, 2005
Hi there and THANK YOU so much!!! Your steps are terrific; I can’t wait to give it a go! 🙂

Cheers,
Have a dandy weekend!
DLMST
D
DLMST
May 8, 2005
Hi Patti, oops, I ran into a snag. Can you help?

When I get to step 5 and CTRL+Click the image did not go to all white. Also, when I paste the light image, it did not look like grayscale, instead I got another layer that looked the same as the light layer but with a different name.

Oh, in step 2 "copy (CTRL +V)" should be "copy (CTRL +C)" yes? Or did you mean "paste" instead of copy. I assumed you meant copy and I did go ahead and do that. 🙂

Cheers.
DLMST
PA
Patti Anderson
May 8, 2005
You need to CTRL+click on the Layer mask, not the image. On the Layers palette, look at the Levels adjustment layer we added. The layer mask is the white rectangle you see there on that layer — that’s what you CTRL+click on.

Yes, in step 2 the shortcut for copy is CTRL+C.

On my way out the door for a Mother’s Day dinner…Oh ye!

Patti
D
DLMST
May 8, 2005
Happy Mother’s Day to ya!

Thought that’s what I had done but …. I’ll try it again. With a fresh brain. Ha, ha!

Cheers!
D
DLMST
May 17, 2005
Hi there, I’ve been trying this technique but am still getting befuddled.

On step 5, when I CTRL Click on the white rectangle I don’t get the "image will go all white revealing the mask." Nothing seems to happen. Then, after I take the next step and paste the light image into this mask, I don’t get a grayscale looking image either. The image looks like a normal image. I’m doing something wrong and I can’t figure out what it is. I’ve tried unlocking the Levels layer but that doesn’t change my results. Any ideas?
R
RobertHJones
May 17, 2005
On step 5, when I CTRL Click on the white rectangle I don’t get the "image
will go all white revealing the mask."

That should be ALT click.
D
DLMST
May 17, 2005
Hi, thanks!
PA
Patti Anderson
May 17, 2005
Would someone please Alt+click on my brain mask? %D

I can’t believe I did that! Sooooo sorry for that typo, DLMST.

Patti
D
DLMST
May 17, 2005
No problemoe Patti. Don’t fret it. I’m delighted to have the technique to work with. Thanks! 🙂

Cheers,
DLMST

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections