MH
Posted By
mandi_humphrey
May 7, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can someone please, help me. While trying to open my photo browser in APE3 I get a box that says "out of memory"…I followed the instructions on how to increase the size the computer allows APE to use and still no luck. I can open the editor workspace but it will not let me open the photo browser. I have images on here for clients and I’m terrified of losing them…what do I do?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 7, 2005
Mandi,

What is your set up … OS, Memory etc

…. and has Elements been working OK up to now or is this a new install?

Wendy
BH
Beth_Haney
May 7, 2005
The images are stored on your hard drive, not in the Browser, so I can’t think of any way you could lose files.

Try deleting the Preference folder for Elements. With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and make a quick grab for the Control, Alt, and Shift keys. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete Settings. Say Yes. You’ll reset everything back to default, including the Browser.

How big are some of your folders? And did the Browser get one of the big ones left open? Elements has to generate thumbnails, and it might be choking, although that more often causes a crash. Before you try opening the Browser again, take a look at some of the folders on your hard drive and see if they should be broken up into smaller segments.

Try deleting Prefs first, and if that doesn’t work, repost.
MH
mandi_humphrey
May 7, 2005
okay…not sure if I’m answering this right…first of all…yes, it was working fine up until this point. I was editing a number of photos and neglected to save each one…they just kept piling up…then it froze and I had to turn my machine off.
This is my system info…Dell Dimension 8400 series
Pentium 4cpu 3.00ghz
2.99 GHz 512 mb of ram
145 GB 16.5 GB used 128 GB free
Not sure if I answered right…
Mandi
BH
Beth_Haney
May 7, 2005
Well, if you were editing without saving, then I take back part of what I said about losing files. The image files should still be on your hard drive, but the changes you’d made might be gone.
MH
mandi_humphrey
May 7, 2005
I tried what you said about cont/alt/shift…can’t get it to work
MH
mandi_humphrey
May 7, 2005
that’s okay about losing the editing…i can do it all again…just want to get my photo browser open
BH
Beth_Haney
May 7, 2005
If you can’t get it to work, what’s the symptom? Maybe you’re just not fast enough. Put your fingers down on the keys before you hit the start up icon. You can also rummage for the Preference folder manually, although I don’t remember the full path in Windows. It’s in the Elements application folder in Program Files on C drive, unless that’s not where you put it when you did the install.
MH
mandi_humphrey
May 7, 2005
Now it won’t even let open adobe…telling me error code c0000005!!!! Mandi
MH
mandi_humphrey
May 7, 2005
I put my fingers on the keys…hit the start icon and press the cont/alt/shift…nothing happens…nothing
BH
Beth_Haney
May 7, 2005
Did you have any antivirus software running when you installed Elements?

I just spent at least 20 minutes reviewing various hits after I put this error code into a Google search. It doesn’t seem to be specific to any piece of software – Firefox, Eudora, Adobe Album, to name three I remember off the top of my head were affected. Other threads were on this error coming up on networks. There isn’t a clear cut answer, but it does seem to be a system issue rather than something related solely to Elements. In one case, someone thought he might have tracked the problem to Norton, but he made some adjustments and hadn’t reported back on whether he had a success or another failure. Another thread was encouraging a check of RAM.

Even though the problem is surfacing in Elements’ Browser, you might want to do some additional investigation on a Windows forum. I can’t recommend a good one, because I use a Mac 98% of the time.
R
RobertHJones
May 7, 2005
Mandi,

Now it won’t even let open adobe…telling me error code c0000005!!!!

That error means an access violation has occured. The program tried to access memory that wasn’t allocated to it.

That usually happens because the programmer assumed that things would always be valid and didn’t do adequate error checking. Examples: not checking length of strings, assuming the values read from the preferences file are valid, attempting to use a device (dvd burner for example) without checking to see that it was initialized, etc. Adobe seems to have a number of these, especially in the organizer.

My guess is the editor preferences file got corrupted somehow. Try deleting it manually. I don’t remember just where it’s located but I’m sure someone will supply that information. I’d look it up but I have to go out right now and don’t have enough time. I’ll check when I get back and look it up if nobody has done so before then.

You can start the organizer directly by going to folder C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0 and executing the program PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe. If you hold down the ctrl key while starting it, it will delete the organizer preferences. If you can get it started, do a catalog recover.

Good luck.

Bob
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 7, 2005
Mandi,

To delete preferences go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Adobe\ Photoshop Elements\ (replace [User Name] with your user name)

and rename the Folder 3.0 to 3.0.old then try to run Elements.

Bob
CW
Colin_Walls
May 7, 2005
Bob J said:

If you hold down the ctrl key while starting it, it will delete the organizer preferences

This is incorrect. This initiates a catalog recover.

Bob C’s advice is sound.

Everything previous was about Editor and I don’t think it’s relevant to your problem.
R
RobertHJones
May 7, 2005
Bob,

Thanks for providing the instructions for deleting the preferences.

Colin,

Thanks for the correction. I had to go somewhere and was late getting out of the house and really rushed.

Mandi appears to have two problems. One starting the photo browser and the other the c0000005 starting the editor.

The editor problem might possibly be due to a corrupted preferences file which is why she should recreate it. The other could also be a preferences file corruption problem but it could also be a problem with the catalog — the crash on insufficient memory could have caused either or both to have occured. Which is why I recommended the catalog recovery step too.

Hopefully, doing both will take care of the problems.

Bob
MH
mandi_humphrey
May 7, 2005
Thank you to each and every one of you for your help. You have no idea how much it is appreciated. I went in and rewrote the name of the file…this got me back to where I was. I had over 1300 images in my browser…after doing all of that I burned each client’s file to a CD and will use those instead of clogging up my browser with every single image.
Again, thank you so very very much to all of you who responded. I am amazed at the willingness that each of you showed in helping me.
Thank you,
Mandi
R
RK
May 7, 2005
I had a somewhat similar problem, which kept getting worse and dto the point where I could not uninstall and reinstall the program. Go the Adobe Forum and read about the help I got. You may have to register (free). These memory problems are not uncommon apparently

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50@@.3bba1d52/2!logi n=true
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 8, 2005
Mandi,

That’s the kind of forum this is. I never cease to be amazed.

Bob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections