Posted By
Philip_Baxter
May 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi from the UK

Just installed and registered Elements 3.0 on my XP system. Thought it best to upgrade to 3.0.1. Downloaded the update off the Adobe website opened the zip file then launched setup.exe. Everything went fine until the prompt said "unable to update photoshopelementsorganiser the file on your system does not match the Photoshop Elements 3.0 file expected and it cannot be updated".

Help what have I done wrong? Surely this should work if I have an English version of the software?

Thanks ….

ps. There was no previous version of the software on my system which has all the latest windows XP security updates

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
RobertHJones
May 4, 2005
Philip,

Check to see if the 3.0.1 update was already included in the software you installed.

Load the Organizer (not the editor) and check the help "about photoshop elements" menu item. On the middle left, the version number will appear as either "version 3.0" if you have the original version or "version 3.0.1" if the update is included.

It’s not uncommon for recent versions of software products to be sold with some updates already included. This is called "slipstreaming". I don’t know whether Adobe does this or not. But, since you only recently acquired and installed the product, it’s worth checking.

The other common cause of this type of problem is using a hex editor to go into the software executable and modify the program. I assume you haven’t done that.

Bob
PB
Philip_Baxter
May 5, 2005
Bob

Thanx your reply good idea! Loaded Organizer and checked the version number shows up sadly as version 3.0. No can assure you I haven’t used a a hex editor to go into the software executable and modify the program.

Any more ideas anyone?
M
mcclean69
May 5, 2005
Don’t recall if Photoshop Elements 3.0 requires registration/activation or not (like all the new Microsoft stuff does.). If it does and you haven’t done this yet there may be a file/bit that needs to be set before updates will be allowed.

If you did this it looks like and uninstall and reinstall of PE 3.0 and try again.
PB
Philip_Baxter
May 7, 2005
Hi again

I registered Elements 3.0 just after insatllation. Have also now uninstalled then reinstalled and still the same problem. Downloaded a ‘fresh’ version of the upgrade just in case but still cannot get it to update.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections