PH
Posted By
Peter_Hachmeister
May 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to take a jpg file and have it converted/transformed into a 4×6 or 5×7 keeping the aspect ratio. I also don’t want to worry about pixel per inch conversions. Is there a way to do this? It seems simple/straightforward, but I can’t find a way to do this (I am new to Elements.)

Also, is there a manual other than the Getting Started guide.

Thanks,

Peter

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BG
Byron Gale
May 5, 2005
wrote
I want to take a jpg file and have it converted/transformed into a 4×6 or
5×7 keeping the aspect ratio. I also don’t want to worry about pixel per inch conversions.

Peter,

You may not be able to keep the aspect ratio of your image while printing either of those sizes – the possible exception being that your digicam provides a 3:2 mode, which WILL print at 6×4 while keeping the same aspect ratio. The likelihood is that your image is in 4:3 ratio, which will have to be cropped to produce either of the dimensions you specify, without distortion.

When you say that you don’t want to worry about pixel per inch conversions…. well, I don’t know how you will control the quality of your images without paying some degree of attention to that relationship.

Byron
JM
Joseph Meehan
May 5, 2005
wrote:
I want to take a jpg file and have it converted/transformed into a 4×6 or 5×7 keeping the aspect ratio. I also don’t want to worry about pixel per inch conversions. Is there a way to do this? It seems simple/straightforward, but I can’t find a way to do this (I am new to Elements.)

Also, is there a manual other than the Getting Started guide.
Thanks,

Peter

Are you aware that those two sizes don’t have the same aspect ratio?

Choose the crop tool and click on mode, then fixed aspect ration then fixed, then type in your ratio.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
BH
Beth_Haney
May 5, 2005
Post the dimensions, in pixels, of the image files that come from your camera. Once that’s known, somebody can probably develop and post a down and dirty way of cropping to exact size while retaining decent image quality.

There are a number of excellent books on PSE 3.0, but there is no printed manual nor one on PDF on the CD. The Help files are excellent, but they don’t make for convenient bedtime reading.
PH
Peter_Hachmeister
May 5, 2005
Thanks for the feedback.

I was assumming that some cropping would take place – 4×6 and 5×7 are different ratios.

I just wanted to be able to enlarge or shrink the image accordingly. For printing I am using a 300 dpi setting and my digital camera can take pictures with plenty of detail for 300dpi. Most of my images are 1200×1600 or larger – that’s good for at least a 4×6 I think.

Thanks,

Peter
C
Corey
May 5, 2005
Go to Image > Canvas Size and change the size to the desired size. Press CTRL+T. Then hold the SHFT key and transform the selection by dragging a corner. Depending on your resolution, you may either have to make the image larger or smaller. Depending on your chosen canvas size, you will likely have some of the photo that will end up being cropped.

Peadge 🙂

wrote in message
Thanks for the feedback.

I was assumming that some cropping would take place – 4×6 and 5×7 are
different ratios.
I just wanted to be able to enlarge or shrink the image accordingly. For
printing I am using a 300 dpi setting and my digital camera can take pictures with plenty of detail for 300dpi. Most of my images are 1200×1600 or larger – that’s good for at least a 4×6 I think.
Thanks,

Peter
PW
Philip_Webb
May 8, 2005
Peter –

I just received my copy of

Organizing Your Photos with Adobe Photoshop Elements 3

from Adobe Press books www.adobepress.com/ and it is a great book especially for anyone just starting to use the program.

Phil

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections