PS
Posted By
pablito_siemering
May 1, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
you can set a number for dots per inch- that’s how priners think- in photosop elements. So my question is: my printer says it can do 4000 dpi if i want it to. i’m trying to print 7 megapixel photos. how many dpi would be suitable for a 3000 pixel image?

thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CW
Colin_Walls
May 1, 2005
Right. First, forget all about DPI. Your printer has various quality settings, you probably want it set to "best". You can only mess with this from the printer settings dialog, not really from PSE at all.

The more interesting parameter is the resolution of your image – PPI. This sets the number of pixel used for each linera inch in your print. So, if your image is 3000px, at 300PPI you would get 10 inches. So long as you have a PPI setting in the range of about 200-600, you’ll probably be fine.
C
Corey
May 2, 2005
DPI will only determine the size of the printed image. It will do nothing about quality. So you can use basic math to determine the resolution (PPI-pixels-per-inch actually) as a function of size.

An image that is 3000 pixels wide, when printed at a resolution of 300 ppi will be 10 inches wide (3000 divided by 300). The same image if printed at 3000 ppi will be one inch wide. So if you know how large you want the printed picture to be, you can determine the correct resolution by dividing the actual pixels by the desired size. If you want the image to be 8 inches wide, divide 3000 by 8. The correct resolution for printing would be 375 ppi. You can change the resolution to this value in Photoshop by going to Image >Image Size, deselecting the "Resample Image" checkbox and entering the new resolution in the resolution field. Deselecting "Resample image" will maintain accurate image quality as no information is lost oar added. Only the pixel size has changed.

Peadge 🙂

wrote in message
you can set a number for dots per inch- that’s how priners think- in
photosop elements. So my question is: my printer says it can do 4000 dpi if i want it to. i’m trying to print 7 megapixel photos. how many dpi would be suitable for a 3000 pixel image?
thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections