D
Posted By
DPeck77095
May 1, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can’t seem to time the ctrl alt shift to get to the reset preference. It works on my laptop but not on my desktop. Is there any other way to reset, ie: delete some files?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 1, 2005
Are you using windows or Mac?

Wendy
CW
Colin_Walls
May 1, 2005
Wendy:

Are you using windows or Mac? I think the topic title gives this away. 🙂

DPeck77095:

It is very worrying that the reset key sequence doesn’t work. I would say that it is important to find out why it doesn’t. Probably something else tapping the keystrokes.

Anyway, you can use the following procedure:
Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<your login>\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements [replacing <your login> appropriately] and rename the folder "3.0" to "3.old".
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 1, 2005
Colin …

Its a bit early in the morning for me 🙂 … I didn’t read the title 🙂

Wendy
CW
Colin_Walls
May 1, 2005
Wendy

I do sympathise. So many posters don’t tell us platform and version, which is frustrating.
BH
Beth_Haney
May 1, 2005
On my Mac, I can depress those keys just before using the other hand to click the start up icon. The first time I did it, I didn’t expect it to work, but it does. If you suspect it’s just a timing problem, experiment; having them down just a fraction of a second before starting might work for you, too.
D
DPeck77095
May 1, 2005
I renamed the folder, but when I started elements, the old layout appeared
CW
Colin_Walls
May 1, 2005
the old layout appeared

What do you mean?
Do you mean that the 3.0 folder reappeared? If so, that’s fine. PSE has rebuilt all the pref files in there.
D
DPeck77095
May 2, 2005
No, the screen still had the old layout. I want to knowhow do I completeley reset to all of the default settings. Does Adobe have a support line?
BH
Beth_Haney
May 2, 2005
If you successfully deleted the Preference folder by changing the file name, then you should have gotten a screen that looked like it did the first time you opened Elements. If that didn’t happen, then I don’t think you got it out deleted. Did you try my method? If not, try it. You’ll get a clear message asking if you want to delete Settings, and the answer is Yes.

There is an Adobe support line, but they will ask you for a credit card number, because there is no free support for anything besides problems with the initial install. Besides, we’re better than they are for most things. 🙂 Oh, and we don’t charge a thing. This is a case where, if you follow our instructions, you really do get more than you pay for.
S
Smiff
May 2, 2005
Immediately as you start Elements, hold down "shift, control and alt" which will bring up a screen asking if you want to reset your preferences.

wrote in message
No, the screen still had the old layout. I want to knowhow do I completeley reset to all of the default settings. Does Adobe have a support line?
D
DPeck77095
May 2, 2005
Thanks for the help. However I have windows XP, not a MAC. I renamed the 3.0 directory. It reset the prefs for the organizer and the editor. It did not reset the start screen to the welcome screen. I know how to manually do that, but shouldn’t renaming the directory take care of that?
CW
Colin_Walls
May 2, 2005
This is very confusing. Try deleteing the folder or moving it away somewhere. PSE 3 keeps all its prefs stuff in there.
D
DPeck77095
May 2, 2005
I will try it when I get home from work. What still bothers me is that the alt-ctrl-shift doesn’t work. I uninstalled and reinstalled elements.. The control keys still won’t do anything
NB
Norina_Bourget
May 2, 2005
Maybe You need to delete the prefs. See if this will help. http://www.northlite.net/elements3.htm#prefs

Rina

wrote in message
Thanks for the help. However I have windows XP, not a MAC. I renamed the
3.0 directory. It reset the prefs for the organizer and the editor. It did
not reset the start screen to the welcome screen. I know how to manually do that, but shouldn’t renaming the directory take care of that?
BH
Beth_Haney
May 2, 2005
Just to set the record straight, in the situation I was describing it doesn’t matter a whit whether you’re using a Windows machine or a Mac. 🙂 Works the same on both platforms.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections