How to crop one layer without cropping all previous copies?

TB
Posted By
Tom_Bruno
Apr 29, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all —

I’m trying to crop an image in one layer, so that I can place the cropped part on or behind another layer and juxtapose the images. I duplicated my original layer first, then did the crop on the duplicate layer. BUT: As soon as I hit Enter to finish the crop, all the previous layers (several in this case) that are based on the image get an identical crop. I’ve tried locking the original, and locking the copy, but no help. All the duplicated layers change in unison with the crop. I’ve hacked around a fair bit, but nothing I’ve tried seems to work.

Anyone know how to do this?

Tom B.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CW
Colin_Walls
Apr 29, 2005
Forget the term crop. All you need to do is:
Select the layer to work on.
Select the area you want to keep with a rectangular marquee tool. Invert the selection – SHIFT/CTRL/I.
Delete – DEL.
Clear the selection – CTRL/D.

You’re done.
JM
Joseph Meehan
Apr 29, 2005
wrote:
Hello all —

I’m trying to crop an image in one layer, so that I can place the cropped part on or behind another layer and juxtapose the images. I duplicated my original layer first, then did the crop on the duplicate layer. BUT: As soon as I hit Enter to finish the crop, all the previous layers (several in this case) that are based on the image get an identical crop. I’ve tried locking the original, and locking the copy, but no help. All the duplicated layers change in unison with the crop. I’ve hacked around a fair bit, but nothing I’ve tried seems to work.

Anyone know how to do this?

Tom B.

I assume there is a better way, but I can copy the image in the selection frame rather than crop it and then paste it in the layer you want, You could then delete the layer you copied it from.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
R
RobertHJones
Apr 29, 2005
Tom,

Just to add to what Colin said, "crop" is specifically intended to alter the dimensions of the entire photo and consequently affects all layers. The way you describe it working is exactly what it is supposed to do.

What you want to do is extract the part of the image that you want to relocate and create a layer containing just that portion. Colin gave you one way to do that. Another way would be to make a selection of the portion you want using any of the selection tools (marquee, lasso, selection brush, etc.) and then, from the layer menu, do a new -> layer via copy.

Bob
TB
Tom_Bruno
Apr 29, 2005
Thanks, guys. That’s just the information I needed. I didn’t know the details of crop function, and now I get it. And the marquee tool does exactly what I was trying to do. Your replies are much appreciated.

Tom B.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections