Format necessary before export/burn to CD??

PW
Posted By
Philip_Webb
Apr 29, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am preparing to archive images (fom 35 mm slides) on CD dash R disks. I have scanned the slides and have decided to use CD-R instead of CD-RW disks so that they cannot be inadvertantly overwritten. However I can not find information anywhere as to whether or not it is necessary to format the disks before putting the images on them. My DVD/CD ROM drive is an NEC NR-7900 A which is original on my Dell Dimension 4400 computer with Windows XP SP 2. I have Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0. Version 7.5 is available for $69.95.

I have purchased 30 TDK CD-R 700 MB disks rated "up to 52X compatible" but have not opened the box pending confirmation of type and plan.

Phil W

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CW
Colin_Walls
Apr 29, 2005
I have had a CD-R disc that needed formatting. I just burn ’em.
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 29, 2005
Phil,

You don’t mention use of PE3’s Organizer as the vehicle for writing your CD-R’s so I’m assuming you will be using Roxio. I have the same Roxio version as you (also on a Dell) and using the "make a data CD"/"data CD project" buttons you do not need to format the blank CD. If you want to write only a partial CD and come back later and add more pics be sure that "finalize session" is selected rather than "finalize cd" in the Record dialog.

For this project I don’t see any need to spend the money for 7.5.

Bob
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 29, 2005
Colin,

You beat me. Guess I’m too wordy.

Bob
O
o3v3tz
Apr 29, 2005
Bob,

Curiosity question

I also have Roxio 5 on my Dell. But why use Roxio rather than the XP CD burning support ?

I would not use the PSE 3 Organizer in case I wanted to add additional files to the CD later. The Organizer CD burning does not support multi-session CD burning.

Barb Olson
PW
Philip_Webb
Apr 29, 2005
Colin – Thanks. I sort of suspected formatting woudn’t be necessary. I’ll try burning a few images to verify. (I see some other replys which I’m going to have to consider. I was going to use PSE 3 but one of the messages states that PSE 3 doesn’t support multi-session burning so my plan is still not clear).
Phil
PW
Philip_Webb
Apr 30, 2005
Barb – Thanks for your input also. I was planning on using PSE 3 and I still may give it a try. I will have to have all the images I plan to put on the disk ready and do it in one session. I’m not familiar with XP’s CD burning support. Could you give me a little guidance on how to use that?

Phil
PW
Philip_Webb
Apr 30, 2005
Bob – My message wasn’t clear on using PSE 3. I was planning on using it for burning but based on your info regarding Roxio and Barb Olsens on possibly using XP I may change plans. In any event it sounds like I won’t have to format disks before burning. I did format a CD-RW disk last night and it took an hour and a half and then I wasn’t able to burn just one image on it.

Phil
R
Roy
Apr 30, 2005
wrote in message
I am preparing to archive images (fom 35 mm slides) on CD dash R disks. I have scanned the slides and have decided to use CD-R instead of CD-RW disks so that they cannot be inadvertantly overwritten. However I can not find information anywhere as to whether or not it is necessary to format the disks before putting the images on them. My DVD/CD ROM drive is an NEC NR-7900 A which is original on my Dell Dimension 4400 computer with Windows XP SP 2. I have Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0. Version 7.5 is available for $69.95.

I have purchased 30 TDK CD-R 700 MB disks rated "up to 52X compatible" but have not opened the box pending confirmation of type and plan.
Phil W

High there.

A couple of points to think about.

Blank Cd R are cheap nowadays, so there is no point in fussing about how to burn onto them. You can afford to treat the cheapest ones as Disposable. Just try out your various options, and see which one suits you best.

If however you want to use them as an Archive, it is better to buy the Gold ones which cost a bit more, but are still not expensive. Make copies onto 2 different Makes of Cd at different times, so that if there is a fault anywhere, you should still have 1 good copy.

To use the Windows burner, Right click on the File or Folder, select "Send To" and click on Cd Drive.

Cd W are still fairly expensive, and as you have already found out are very slow to erase (Format), so there is little point in using them.

Remember Photo Files are just Data, like any other File.

Roy G
R
Roy
Apr 30, 2005
"Roy" wrote in message
wrote in message

Phil W

High there.

A couple of points to think about.

Blank Cd R are cheap nowadays, so there is no point in fussing about how to burn onto them. You can afford to treat the cheapest ones as Disposable. Just try out your various options, and see which one suits you best.

If however you want to use them as an Archive, it is better to buy the Gold ones which cost a bit more, but are still not expensive. Make copies onto 2 different Makes of Cd at different times, so that if there is a fault anywhere, you should still have 1 good copy.

To use the Windows burner, Right click on the File or Folder, select "Send To" and click on Cd Drive.

Cd W are still fairly expensive, and as you have already found out are very slow to erase (Format), so there is little point in using them.
Remember Photo Files are just Data, like any other File.
Roy G
I have just spotted your comment that Cd R can not be overwritten.

This is True, but some burning programs can appear to overwrite Files. The original file will still be on the disc, but the disc headers will have been changed so that the original does not appear to be there.

In other words, you still need to take care, to avoid overwriting. I have no doubt that there will be a way of recovering the original, but why take chances.

Roy G
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 30, 2005
My apologies. Went out to dinner last night and never got back here.

Barb,

But why use Roxio rather than the XP CD burning support ?

Pure lack of experience. This is the first PC I’ve had with a burner (and for that matter XP) so I wasn’t even aware of XP’s built in ability. Took the most obvious path since it was sitting on my Desktop. Since then (2 years next month) I’ve learned a bit more and use both. I kind of like the split window of Roxio.

Phil,

I did format a CD-RW disk last night and it took an hour and a half and then I wasn’t able to burn just one image on it.

How did you format? How are you trying to write to the CD? I’m by no means an expert but we should be able to get the answer here.

Bob
PW
Philip_Webb
Apr 30, 2005
Bob,

I formatted the CD-RW on Roxio. Still not clear when formatting is necessary but obviously not to burn images onto a CD. I sucessfully burned 47 images from one trip onto another (unformatted) CD-RW this morning and will discard the "formatted" CD-RW.

I burned the 47 images from a collection on PSE 3 using the PSE burn command. Unfortuneately I inadvertantly interrupted the first attempt at burning by hitting enter instead of backspace when I noticed the title of the disk was not appropriate. All I wanted to do was put a useful title on it. Hung me up for a while but after shutting down and restarting I finished the burn on a new disk just to be safe. Now I am unable to run a photo review on that collection for some reason. Will run on another collection. Get an error message when I try it – "Runtime Error!" "abnormal program termination". Any ideas?

Phil
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 30, 2005
Phil,

I have not used any of Organizer’s burn features since I’ve seen so many problems here on the forum (and I do all my backup to an external hard drive). When I do burn a CD of the camera originals it’s either through Roxio or Windows.

Maybe someone else has some ideas?

Bob
O
o3v3tz
Apr 30, 2005
Phil,

First a few questions to try to understand what you were doing when it hung up and what the current status is:

1-When you were doing the burn from PSE, did you choose COPY or MOVE?

2-When you select one of these photos and look at Properties > General, what does it show as the folder name for the photo location? (You might need to resize the Properties window larger in order to see tne full folder path name.)

3-How recent a backup of your Elements catalog do you have?

4-Have you checked the CD contents by viewing them with Windows Picture viewer? (It should be able to display jpg’s and most tif’s but it will not be able to display psd files.)

Now I am unable to run a photo review on that collection for some reason. Will run on another collection. Get an error message when I try it – "Runtime Error!" "abnormal program termination". Any ideas?

Doing a File > Catalog > Recover
might resolve the Runtime Error problem. However, if you were using MOVE on the Burn and the process of deleting the photos from the hard drive was in midstream, additional actions may be necessary to to fix your access to those photos.

Barb
PW
Philip_Webb
May 1, 2005
Barb – I copied the files (didn’t move them). The disk that I burned is complete and runs as a slide show from the disk in my CD-ROM drive. Must be that Windows Picture and Fax viewer kicks in.

The images are all in the \Collections PhotoShop folder.

I have never backed up my catalog but I see from going thru the Burn command message windows that it will be quite simple (AT least I hope it will be). Will do that today or tomorrow.

Since I now have a disk complete with the images that I was attempting to archive, and I also have the unenhanced version of the scanned slides on a jump drive (and the slides themselves if I ever need them), I plan to forget about the runtime error. I have tried photo Review on two other collections and it runs without a hitch. I plan to simply delete that collection from the organizer.

Phil
O
o3v3tz
May 1, 2005
Phil

OK – thanks for the update.

Barb
PW
Philip_Webb
May 3, 2005
Bob and Barb

We are going away for a few days so this is merely an update. I have successfully burned to a CD-R using PSE and am quite satisfied with that. I had to rename all the images using a consecutive number system to avoid the burn process putting the images in a different order than I had them in in the PSE collection. A program I downloaded called DVD Photo Slideshow "rearranged" my images placing 11, 12, 13 etc. before 2. I’m concerned that Roxio may do the same I am now going to try the same in Roxio but so far haven’t been able to get to Roxio with the images selected. I go to File/Burn and PSE’s burn dialog boxes come up since I used that last I suppose. I’ve tried going to All Programs/Roxio which brings up the program but at that point I can’t get back to the images selected in PSE. Will keep trying when we return Friday.

Phil
O
o3v3tz
May 3, 2005
Phil,

Some notes for when you return….

A common technique when taking images to a program other than Elements is

To make a Collection in Elements sequencing the photos however you wish them to be. Then do a File > Export using its base naming features which will assign file names that follow Windows file name sequence. The Export command also has other options like format conversion or resizing, which might or might not be appropriate in this case. The Export command does write an additional copy of the photo to a different folder and it is not then tracked in the Organizer. Takes a little more disk space but now the files used by the other program are independent.

I think that it has been posted here that it is possible to drag and drop thumbnails from the Elements Photo Browser to another application window. However I have never done this.

Barb O
PW
Philip_Webb
May 8, 2005
Barb –

After 3 or 4 wheel spinning exercises I did finally succeed in burning a set of images to a CD using Roxio Easy CD Creator. Exported the images from PSE to a folder as suggested. It was not simple and the order of the images was rearranged completely on the CD as compared to the order in the folder. I have concluded that Roxio offers no advantage over using PSE directly and would require much more effort in order to learn how to overcome the order problem.

In conjunction with this effort I was able to burn using PSE itself quite successfully. Much help from the Adobe Press book which I acquired this week Organize Your Photos with Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 available from www.peachpit.com or www.adobepress.com.

The method which worked was, after scanning and getting the photos into the organizer, enhance the photos one at a time and then make a collection with just the enhanced images in it. Next place the images in the order you wish them to be in on the CD. Then select all the images in the collection and do a File/Rename selecting an appropriate base name for the images. PSE assigns this base name to all the images each with its own number from 1 to however many there are in the collection. Then do a File/Burn. It worked just fine and the images are in the order I want on the CD-R. Made a CD to use and a backup CD. Also have the original scanned slide images on a jump drive if I want them. Plan to delete all from the organizer as each group is completed.

We are leaving Friday to return to Michigan from Arizona and will be out of contact for 10 days to two weeks. Will pick up where I left off then and be scanning and burning off and on all summer.

Phil
O
o3v3tz
May 9, 2005
Phil,

It was not simple and the order of the images was rearranged completely on the CD as compared to the order in the folder.

Well this may be a case of where we agree to disagree.

Your statement that it is not simple is subjective, so I will disagree but not argue.

Your claim that Export with Base Renaming from a Collection does not work, is one that I will dispute.

A common technique when taking images to a program other than Elements is

To make a Collection in Elements sequencing the photos however you wish them to be. Then do a File > Export using its base naming features which will assign file names that follow Windows file name sequence

It has worked for me on multiple ocassions when taking photos from PSE to another Windows application by Exporting then burning the folder (resulting from the Export) to a CD.

Perhaps you did not Export from the Collection or you did not use the Base Naming – but if both these are done, it does work to create file names in Windows sort sequence to preserve the order of the Collection.

Barb O
CW
Colin_Walls
May 9, 2005
I confirm that the base renaming works fine. I have done it dozens of times.

How are you looking at the CD? There is no "order" fo files in a folder/CD in Windows. They are ordered by Windows Explorer according to the criteria that yo specify: filename, file type, date …
PW
Philip_Webb
May 10, 2005
Barb (And Colin)-

I exported to a folder so that I could get Roxio to burn to a CD. The numbers were consecutive from using File/Rename in PSE but the burn from Roxio (Adaptec) rearranged the images. The numbers in the folder were, from the rename process, Base Name.jpg.01, Base name.jpg.02, Base name.jpg-03 etc. Naming and burning directly from PSE worked just fine but Roxio used some logical (probably) computerese method of arrangeing the images. I plan using PSE from now on. Roxio (Adaptec) was b not
easy to use. Exported from PSE to a folder in Windows, switched to Roxio, browsed to the folder and then burned. And the images were out of order.

Phil

BTW I can’t say enough about the Adobe book "Organize your Photos with Adobe PhotoShop Elements 3". I wish I had been able to use it last fall when I upgraded to PSE 3.
CW
Colin_Walls
May 10, 2005
Phil

As I said before, there is no order for files on a CD. The files exported should have names like "basename-1.jpg". Are you saying that Roxio renamed them? I doubt it.
LM
Lou_M
May 10, 2005
The numbers in the folder were, from the rename process, Base Name.jpg.01, Base name.jpg.02, Base name.jpg-03 etc.

If you’re burning multiple sessions, and you’ve already burned files with those names once, and you "import" the old sessions, then Roxio will probably go ahead and rename the new files so they don’t clash with the old file names.

It does seem odd that it adds the name after the file extension, though.
PW
Philip_Webb
May 11, 2005
Colin and Lou – First of all, I am very new at burning CDs. I have burned maybe 7 or 8 in my life.

Colin: No Roxio didn’t rename any files but I thought the program had placed them on the disk in a different order than they were in in the folder I burned them from. I still think that happened at least once. The files (images) were numbered consecutively 1 to 74 and they came out on the disk with 11, 12 13 etc. ahead of 2.

however I just repeated the whole process with 44 images numbered 1 through 44 and Easy CD Creator came out with them in the same order on the disk. I know computers don’t do things one way one time and another way the next so I am confused to say the least but am making progress. It is important to me to have the images in the correct order on the CD because these are all coming from 35 mm trip slides from several trips to Europe.

The problem, if there is one, is academic at this point because I have concluded that PSE is much easier to use than Easy CD Creator. PSE, once I make a new collection and rename all the images with a base name which makes sense to me is all set to burn the CD. I found the dialog boxes easier to understand than Easy CD and it saves me several steps in the process.

Lou: I’m pretty sure I didn’t do any "multiple" sessions but if you are familiar with Easy CD Creator, was I correct to select File/New CD Project/New Data CD? It worked but I had to take the default choice of "Track-at-Once" instead of "Disk-at-Once" not knowing what the difference is. PSE didn’t throw any confusion factors like that in the process.

Phil
CW
Colin_Walls
May 11, 2005
The files (images) were numbered consecutively 1 to 74 and they came out on the disk with 11, 12 13 etc. ahead of 2.

That is because Windows Explorer orders filenames alphabetically so aaa1 comes before aaa11 which comes before aaa2 and so on. This is why "smarter" software [like PSE] tends to add the leading zero sor you get aaa01, aaa02, aaa11 in the "correct" order. Clearly nobody explained this to Roxio.
PW
Philip_Webb
May 13, 2005
Colin – Glad to have your input on what causes the arrangement of files. Windows explorer is the culprit. I’ll do some experimenting with smaller groups of files when I get the chance. PSE did a great job of ordering my large group of images once I had the suggestion (Barb O I think) to rename the collection. Burned them right in the order I wanted.

We are closing down our computer for about two weeks as soon as this message goes out. Moving back to MIchigan for the summer and will be scanning 35 mm slides and saving to CDs as soon as we get resettled.

Phil

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections