CH
Posted By
Chris_Hughes
Apr 29, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am wondering if I will have problems with my Elements 2.0 for Mac when I upgrade to Tiger? I was expecting Adobe to have a statement on the main Elements page, but didn’t see one.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MD
malcolm_denton
Apr 29, 2005
MacFixit have set up a Tiger compatibility section on their forums

< http://www.macfixitforums.com/php/postlist.php?Cat=&Boar d=Forum36>
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 29, 2005
Well, until the macfixit one gets going, here’s a slightly more comprehensive list of programs and the updates, if any, that have been published for Tiger:

<http://www.macintouch.com/tigercompat.html>
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 29, 2005
Chris, if you wait a few hours, I know a lot of people here are getting Tiger today and will be reinstalling all their apps, so they should be able to tell you soon. I know that PE 3 works, and I’m assuming there’s no reason why PE 2 wouldn’t.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 29, 2005
I will be installing Tiger as soon as it gets here, which should be in a couple of hours. So, I’ll you know how it goes.

Ray
JC
Jane Carter
Apr 29, 2005
Whew, we have to reinstall all our apps?
I wonder if our Mail and settings will all have to be done over again too? I think I will wait for a bit also.
Jane
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 29, 2005
No, Jane. The only report I saw so far about reinstalling was for Photoshop CS, and it only was for one user… can’t say it’s a common thing.

Ray
JC
Jane Carter
Apr 29, 2005
Thats great, whew,
Thanks,
Jane
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 29, 2005
Hi, Jane. Sorry, I couldn’t post before. If you archive/install you don’t have to reinstall, but I’ve never trusted A/I.
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 29, 2005
From what I could gather from the Apple support docs, an archive and install isn’t recommended if you’re moving from one operating system to the next. I thought about doing it that way when I went from Jaguar to Panther but chickened out. Face it, Jane, you probably need to do some housecleaning by now anyway, don’t ya? There’s nothing to get a person reorganized like wiping the hard drive. πŸ™‚
JC
Jane Carter
Apr 30, 2005
Hi Beth and Barbara, I do indeed have tons of photos, but with this computer I have been very careful about adding ‘extras’, like those third party goodies. Not like my poor OS 9 G4 tower, its packed with stuff, no wonder it acts funny sometimes. But this one Ive been very good with.

I do try to always get the latest software update for what I need. Checked it just now and Ive got only two for me, Garage Band and QuickTime. The others I dont use, like iSight, iPod, or Airport. Checked the Java and Ive got that one already. Its installing now,,,,,
And I do the repair permissions, and the weekly, monthly thingies too with OnyX.

Oh, that reminds me, I give our dog her monthly heartworm pill when I do the computer monthly maintenance. Sunday is their day.

I guess I might just wait and get the new Mac this fall, my husband is hinting for this one a lot. Then I wouldnt have to go thru wiping the HD or Reinstalling all the stuff on this one.
It works like a charm, and my husband wouldnt need all the new goodies right away. By next fall I would know more about this process????
I’m not good at the tech stuff.
Jane
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 30, 2005
Ok, here goes…

I’ve installed Tiger a few moments ago on my PowerBook (G4 1Ghz, 768 MB Ram, ATI Radeon 32MB, AirPort + Bluetooth). Pick the Upgrade option (wanted to test this, as my Powerbook isn’t a production machine).

Installer took about 50 minutes to install, but after the reboot, the login menu never appeared. So, I force the machine off, it rebooted and all was ok. I don’t know what caused this. Other issue is that 10.4 registration assumes you’re an American citizen. So, I now live in AK with a ZIP code of 09090 (I just hope it’s not in the middle of an aligator reserve.. !!)

Computer is definitively more responsive then before. I can’t tell you it’s 47% or 22.5%, but it feels and acts faster. I’ve tested the following applications and in all cases, they started ok, shutdown ok, and I was able to work / open a document or save one :

– Photoshop Elements 2
– Photoshop Elements 3
– Photoshop Elements 5 (just kidding!)
– Photoshop CS
– CorelDraw 11 (it’s as lovely as before, though faster) – Terragen (registered and unregistered version)
– Corel Painter 8
– Corel Bryce 5 (I’ll admit, I’m Bryce’s single male user north of New-York..) – Carrara 3D Basic
– iPhoto 4, iTunes 4
– Office 2004 (Excel and Word, Excel took a certain time to start, but Word was blazingly fast!), Entourage
– Netscape
– Mac Classic and Internet Explorer 5.01 for OS 9.
– Virtual PC 7 – an issue occured with the Virtual Switched Network, but it didn’t prevent Windows XP from running, nor did it cause problems with accessing the Internet from Virtual PC.
– Adobe Dreamweaver MX 2004 (formerly Macromedia’s)
– Adobe Acrobat 6.03

That’s a preliminary list, and I haven’t test every function of all those applications. There coudl still be glitches or problems.

Also, Dashboard is totally out of this world! But, as you’ve guessed, Spotlight worths its weight in gold, I assure you. It takes some time the first time you boot to index everything, but then… You type a word, and voilΓ ! all is there! There weren’t real digital pictures on my Powerbook (only fabricated Terragen and Bryce worlds), so I didn’t have the chance to test the IPTC / EXIF searching (if it exists).

I’ll upgrade the PowerMac tomorrow morning, that’s when the real test will occur.

If you have questions about Tiger, don’t hesitate to ask.

Ray
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 30, 2005
All of the alligator preserves are down in Florida with Barbara; you’re probably in the middle of an Eskimo village – or maybe a moose preserve. πŸ™‚

Glad it went well for you Ray. And thank you for the report!
R
RobertHJones
Apr 30, 2005
So, I now live in AK with a ZIP code of 09090 (I just hope it’s not in the middle of an aligator reserve.. !!)

Ray,

It’s not likely you’re in an aligator reserve. AK is the postal abbreviation for Alaska (just a tad too far north for gators I’d reckon).

But, your zip code says you are in the military stationed in Europe. That’s an army post office zip.

Hope your enlistment is short πŸ™‚

Bob
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 30, 2005
LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had thought of entering 90210 but it would have been too expensive to even sit there for a while, not to mention living there.. πŸ™‚

But, your zip code says you are in the military stationed in Europe. That’s an army post office zip.

Hope your enlistment is short πŸ™‚
CH
Chris_Hughes
Apr 30, 2005
Thanks Ray thats useful info for sure. Keep us posted. Beth is correct about the aligator preserves. If you are in rural Alaska, you may notice some oil derricks popping up soon. They are getting ready to drill ANWR soon.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 30, 2005
I just upgraded the PowerMac this morning. All is well so far, Photoshop CS, Entourage, Mail (which is gorgeous!) are all ok. I’m in the Indexing Volumes modes (the Spotlight tool) which makes my computer a little sluggish (that was to be expected).

I’ll keep on playing !!

Ray
JC
Jane Carter
Apr 30, 2005
Hi Ray, Thank you! Now after reading (and saving) your instructions, I feel a whole lot easier about this Big Cat.
Just knowing you all are here,,,,,,,
I have 10.3.9, so when I purchase Tiger, I will go right ahead and install it.

Ive been using Firefox, its really really nice.
Jane
JC
Jane Carter
Apr 30, 2005
Speaking of Bryce, the upgrade to version 5.5 is announced. Jane
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 30, 2005
The first automator actions for use with PS have been posted here:

<http://www.completedigitalphotography.com/index.php?p=339>

AFAIK they don’t work with PE, though.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 30, 2005
Ok… On the Hardware side this time :

– Canon LiDE 35 works as well as before.
– Canon iP6000D is also ok (from both Mac OS apps as well as Virtual PC) * – Canon PowerShot A510 (through Image Capture, via USB cable) is ok – Canon EOS 10D (through Image Capture, via USB cable) is ok – iSight works well (and the iGlasses extra plug-in I bought also still operates well).
– Wacom tablet is ok (both the driver and the pen itself) – Cruzer Micro SanDisk USB key is ok
– Card reader (Compact Flash type) in iP6000D is ok
– Palm Zire 71 synchronized well.
– iPod 3rd Generation, 15Gb, connected via its dock (FireWire) mounted and showed up on both the Desktop and in iTunes.

I didn’t have the time to test the camcoder in FireWire. Later on this.

I also lost Norton. I thought it worked well, at first, but then it crashed.

* At first, right after the installation was complete, the printer didn’t show up. I rebooted, and the printer was there (in the Printer Utility) and it was functioning. No driver re-installing was required.

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 30, 2005
Hi, Ray. Norton and Virex are not compatible with Tiger.
CS
Cliff_Skidmore
Apr 30, 2005
I’ve got a Tiger in my tank (Buck Owens, I thnik?)

It went very smoothly and everything works, except
I lost one font that I had downloaded and lost my
Spyder monitor profile.

eMac 1ghz with 1G memory

PE3, Nikon Capture, Wacom tablet, Lexar card reader,
Canon i950 printer, Canon 5000f scanner, Lacie external
DVD all working fine.

All preferences, contacts, photos, music and desktop
were retained. I noticed a slight speed increase in PE3, and Safari .

Cliff
JC
Jane Carter
Apr 30, 2005
"Ive Got a TIger in my Tank" was sung by Muddy Waters at a blues concert I was at years and years and years ago. Terriffic rendition of that song, perhaps the best ever.
I have a 33rpm record here somewhere with it,(a shortened version), gotta find it and put it in my iTunes library.
Thanks for reminding me!!
Jane
GB
Gerald Bilodeau
Apr 30, 2005
I just finished upgrading my PowerBook G4. It went flawlessly and I have no problems with any of my software.
TM
Tom Murray 1
May 1, 2005
33rpm?
How about Highway 61 in Mono.
JC
Jane Carter
May 1, 2005
Somewhere maybe?
I still have some old 78rpms believe it or not!
But unfortunately most of them were used as targets way back when my brothers and I used to shoot in a local sand quarry.
Jane
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 1, 2005
Back to Tiger compatibility and PE: Has anyone actually tried installing PE since installing Tiger? I’ve been hearing from a lot of people, most of whom have imac G5s, that they get the gray filters or the "style is bad or corrupted" message after installing in Tiger. Standard troubleshooting doesn’t help.
JC
Jane Carter
May 1, 2005
Ive been reading something about our Graphics Cards and if they will support Core Image.

I am not sure if this has anything to do with this problem, but I thought I would mention it though. In case it would help troubleshoot this.

And did find this also. I am going to read more before I Tigerize my iMac. Jane
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 1, 2005
Hi, Jane. No, it has nothing to do with that, fortunately. If your graphics card is not up to all of Core Image, the processor takes over some of the functions instead, just like in Panther and lower. The most notable difference is that you won’t see the ripple effect on an unsupported card.

The answer to my question in the previous post appears, for some reason, to be that you may need to run repair permissions more than once before the install will take correctly.
JC
Jane Carter
May 1, 2005
Thanks Barbara, Ive been reading so much that I am a bit confused. I did look up the ripple effect, its neat.
Ive been repairing permissions weekly just for good measure. I guess It can hurt.

I forgot to put this link in,
<http://www.macfixit.com/>
SO much to read!
Jane
LM
Lou_M
May 1, 2005
Barbara,

I got a new machine (with Panther) and used Apple’s transfer software to move all my settings and applications over to the new Mac (dual 2 GHz). Then I upgraded to Tiger. I was getting an error (warning?) message when I started Elements–something about Effects or Filters I think. After running it a few times (and trying out Grant’s add-ins) I no longer get any error messages. Maybe it just needed to rebuild the cache?
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 1, 2005
I’ve installed it on an iMac G5, freshly upgraded from Panther to Tiger and it worked from the first time (filter menu was ok).

Ray
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 1, 2005
Lou,

I don’t know if I said it before… Congratulations on the new Mac ! You’re gonna love it πŸ™‚

Ray
LM
Lou_M
May 1, 2005
Thanks, Ray. She’s sweet so far. You inspired me!
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 1, 2005
Oh my God… I just hope you’re not into trouble for that πŸ™‚

I was with a friend, last week, and suddenly I realized it’s been a year (more than, actually) since I got my Mac. And even though I upgraded the OS, it doesn’t show. Now, on the other brand of computer, any OS upgrade, and if you keep the same machine, you already see speed depreciation of some form. I have to say.. I love mine, more than ever!

Ray
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 3, 2005
Back to Tiger with Adobe… PSE is ok, PSCS is kinda slow… sometimes (not all of the times), it’ll take a few seconds to pause and reflect upon its past life and what lies ahead before it finds its Way.. πŸ™‚

Also, Acrobat 7.01 has, so far, been very consistent : it loads fine, display documents just fine as well, but requires force quit, else only the menu and document close down, the option bar remains on the screen with the SBOD. A Force Quit of this app works 100% of the cases.

Barbara : I’ve download the Automator actions for PS CS. Auto Levels didn’t work, but blur, add noise, unsharp mask worked quite well (and very fast!). Thanks for posting the link πŸ™‚

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 3, 2005
BTW, y’all, did you know you can make simple image adjustments right in Preview in Tiger. Go to Tools>Image Correction and you’ll get a floating palette where you can set Gamma, brightness, contrast, etc. (It’s roughly what’s available in iphoto for image editing.)
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 3, 2005
….and that Preview now saves in PNG instead of PDF. I don’t know if the files are either smaller or larger, though.

Ray
JH
Joe Henry1000
May 3, 2005
Hi Ray,

Actually you could save PDF’s in quite a few different formats from Preview with Panther.

JOe
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 3, 2005
Oops… that’s not what I meant.. (running low on coffee again!) The Screen Captures (Command – Shift – 3 and Command – Shift – 4) are now in PNG instead of PDF.

Ray
JC
Jane Carter
May 3, 2005
Hi Ray,
I was reading this and wondering why PNG rather than PDF. I take Screen Captures all the time, and then open them in PSE if I need to. I use either just the Mac way, ? shift 4, but I also use the Snapz Pro, with the ? shift 3.
I find PDFs so easy to use in many ways. Multi page and so forth.

So I Googled it, and found that PNG is able to be put into a web page. And they are lossless images.
I wonder what the pros and cons of having screen shots either PNG or PDF are. This is interesting, here I go learning something new, thank you, Jane
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 3, 2005
I also use SnapzPro X 2 which saves in every major format there is. It’s quite helpful.

Someone with better graphics file format could explain the different between PNG and PDF, and why the swicth (obviously, not me !!)

Ray
LM
Lou_M
May 3, 2005
When an image is embedded in a PDF, it can be zip (losslessly) compressed or JPEG (lossy) compressed. I’m not sure which one Jaguar’s screen capture did. I use SnapzPro X 2, too.
JH
Joe Henry1000
May 3, 2005
Yipee! New iMacs are out and I just ordered mine. G5, iLife 05 and Tiger here I come…… πŸ™‚

Lou,

I’m pretty sure (I’ve been wrong plenty of times in the past, however so feel free to correct me if I’m wrong) that OS X screen shots have always resulted in PDF’s, until Tiger. Grab might have allowed other file types but I never used it so don’t know for sure. And yes, I use SnapzPro as well.

Joe
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 3, 2005
For my entire life, all the Mac Screen Captures were PDF. Well, my entire Mac life, that is… 14 months πŸ™‚

Ray
JC
Jane Carter
May 3, 2005
For all of my Mac OS X life, they’ve been PDF. But back in the OS 7,8, +9 days they were SimpleText Pictures but there was no .whatever after the "Picture 3" Not Picture3.xxx
But you can open them in GC, PSE or any program you want. Then turn them into .jpg or what you want.
I love SnapzPro too. What would it do with a picture when you are using Tiger?

There must be some interesting reason that this has been changed in Tiger. I just got my new MacWorld issue today, could be in there? Jane
TM
Tom Murray 1
May 3, 2005
You can change the file type with OS X, using File>Export.
JC
Jane Carter
May 3, 2005
Hi Tom, But I am wondering why they changed the file type for Tiger. In other words, why leave PDF? I will be going to a Tiger demo this weekend in Rhode Island if we don’t have guests here at home.
This will be one of the questions perhaps. I hope I can go,,,,,,,,as there is an arboretum open for photographers on Saturday. RI is not really that far, couple hours over.

Your pictures are wonderful, I’ve never seen the desert bloom. Must travel out your way next spring. But I did see some of the thirsty plants on Anguilla bloom.
Jane
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 3, 2005
Congratulations !!!

On 03/05/05 3:41 PM, in , « Joe Henry1000 »
wroteΒ :

Yipee! New iMacs are out and I just ordered mine. G5, iLife 05 and Tiger here I come…… πŸ™‚
JH
Joe Henry1000
May 4, 2005
Thanks Ray. Now I if I can just make it through the next 10 or so days. The anticipation is killing me! Nothing like that new computer smell. πŸ˜‰

Joe
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 4, 2005
There’s one sitting just 3 feet from me, on my friend’s desk. It’s white, pure, simple, elegant, tall, quiet (most of the times, that’s when it’s not running iTunes or The Sims or Sim City.. Hehe!)

Coupled this computer with a Bluetooth kit (keyboard + mouse) and this beauty really delivers all it is meant to be : simplicity, in every possible senses.

(This ad was brought to you buy… Hahaha!)

Ray
SW
Steven_Wolfe
May 5, 2005
I installed Tiger and then Photoshop Elements 2.0. I can’t open any files or create any new ones. I get the response that PE can’t do the task because there is a program error.

This is the only problem I’ve encountered so far with Tiger (which was installed the day it came out).
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 5, 2005
Have you tried to repair permissions a couple of times ?

Ray
LM
Lou_M
May 5, 2005
Joe,

Congrats on the new machine. You’ll love it I’m sure–they’re fast and gorgeous. What’s not to like? πŸ˜‰ I love those family slideshows you’ve done. Now you can burn ’em to DVD in iLife 05 (if you couldn’t before).

Everyone,

Regarding my comment about screen captures in OS X:

When an image is embedded in a PDF, it can be zip (losslessly) compressed or JPEG (lossy) compressed. I’m not sure which one Jaguar’s screen capture did

I was agreeing with you guys that Jaguar saved screen shots as PDFs. But then, what is a PDF? A PDF can contain text, images, drawings, etc. So the way that images (bitmaps, screenshots, etc.) are stored in a PDF can vary. They can be stored compressed as a JPEG or zip within a PDF file. It’s like storing an image in a Word doc.
SW
Steven_Wolfe
May 6, 2005
Have you tried to repair permissions a couple of times ? <<

Ray, I had repaired them once, but I went back a repaired 2 more times (and it showed no errors).

Didn’t make a difference. I still get the "program error" message. I also tried re-installing PE, but I’m not sure how effective that was since I couldn’t find an un-install capability so just installed over top of the previous install.

PE looks just fine. All the menus seem to function. If I try to create a new file, it shows me the window where I can select the dimensions of the new file. It’s after continuing from that window that the error message arrives.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 6, 2005
Steven, to uninstall a program on the mac, just drag the application’s folder from the Applications folder to the trash, or click once on the closed folder and press command+delete to send it there. Also go to your user>library>preferences file and delete com.adobe.Photoshop.Elements.plist and the PE preferences and paths folders. PE 2 should work in Tiger.
SW
Steven_Wolfe
May 7, 2005
Barbara,

Since the change to OSX, I’ve become a fan of uninstallers. I figure that only the software builder knows where they tucked all the invisible and temp files and folders, as well as things tucked in various libraries and prefs folders.

That said, I removed it following your directions (I had done this before, but didn’t catcht he prefs and paths folders). Result: no change.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 7, 2005
Well, if they followed the developer guidelines (PE 3 sure doesn’t!) everything is either in the app package or your user library>prefs folder unless the application needs to install frameworks in Library.
G
gusnyc
May 10, 2005
Hi,

Do you have problems using Export as a PDF in Tiger? I have some trouble with the fonts.

Any workaround?

Gus

Raymond Robillard wrote:
Ok, here goes…

I’ve installed Tiger a few moments ago on my PowerBook (G4 1Ghz, 768
MB Ram, ATI Radeon 32MB, AirPort + Bluetooth). Pick the Upgrade option (wanted to test this, as my Powerbook isn’t a production machine).
Installer took about 50 minutes to install, but after the reboot, the
login menu never appeared. So, I force the machine off, it rebooted and all was ok. I don’t know what caused this. Other issue is that 10.4 registration assumes you’re an American citizen. So, I now live in AK with a ZIP code of 09090 (I just hope it’s not in the middle of an aligator reserve.. !!)
Computer is definitively more responsive then before. I can’t tell
you it’s 47% or 22.5%, but it feels and acts faster. I’ve tested the following applications and in all cases, they started ok, shutdown ok, and I was able to work / open a document or save one :
– Photoshop Elements 2
– Photoshop Elements 3
– Photoshop Elements 5 (just kidding!)
– Photoshop CS
– CorelDraw 11 (it’s as lovely as before, though faster) – Terragen (registered and unregistered version)
– Corel Painter 8
– Corel Bryce 5 (I’ll admit, I’m Bryce’s single male user north of
New-York..)
– Carrara 3D Basic
– iPhoto 4, iTunes 4
– Office 2004 (Excel and Word, Excel took a certain time to start,
but Word was blazingly fast!), Entourage
– Netscape
– Mac Classic and Internet Explorer 5.01 for OS 9.
– Virtual PC 7 – an issue occured with the Virtual Switched Network,
but it didn’t prevent Windows XP from running, nor did it cause problems with accessing the Internet from Virtual PC.
– Adobe Dreamweaver MX 2004 (formerly Macromedia’s)
– Adobe Acrobat 6.03

That’s a preliminary list, and I haven’t test every function of all
those applications. There coudl still be glitches or problems.
Also, Dashboard is totally out of this world! But, as you’ve guessed,
Spotlight worths its weight in gold, I assure you. It takes some time the first time you boot to index everything, but then… You type a word, and voilΓ ! all is there! There weren’t real digital pictures on my Powerbook (only fabricated Terragen and Bryce worlds), so I didn’t have the chance to test the IPTC / EXIF searching (if it exists).
I’ll upgrade the PowerMac tomorrow morning, that’s when the real test
will occur.
If you have questions about Tiger, don’t hesitate to ask.
Ray

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections