DA
Posted By
Dawnm_Attebery
Apr 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am unable to use the incremental backup in Adobe Photoshop Elements 3. My CD burner (or burner software) requires empty disks. So I have to do a full backup every time. Please help!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 28, 2005
You might want to hop over to the forum for Organizer (at the top of the list on the page where you posted this.) There are some threads about incremental backup. I don’t use Organizer, but it looks to me like the consensus is that you’re better off not using that feature anyway.
O
o3v3tz
Apr 28, 2005
You do need to use a new disc each time you do a Backup of any kind for Elements 3 – as you have experienced. I strongly doubt that your CD burner or its software is imposing a restriction – this restriction comes from Elements.

Now I realize that you may not want to use a new disc for an Incremental Backup – especially if the incremental backup is a small number of files. However, that is not a choice available in the Elements 3 backup.

Two options that might be more practical –

1) Use Elements 3 Backup (full and incremental) to a folder on an external hard drive (or any hard drive different from where your photo files and your Elements catalog resides). You must have a new folder for each incremental backup – but that is better than a new CD disc each time.

OR

2) If you have "regular" backup software for your files, check that the locations for your photo files are being backed up by your current scheme of backup. Then it is also very important to check that your Elements Organizer catalog is backed up. Its default file name is My Catalog.psa and its default folder location on Windows XP is

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Catalogs

(Be careful when locating this folder – do NOT use any file that you find under the Program Files; it is not your real catalog and does not contain your tag information. If you have questions or problems locating your catalog post back so we can discuss more.)

Additionally, if you have any photos in your catalog that are offline (CD icon on top of your thumbnails in the Photo Browser) come back so we can discuss backing up the proxies for these offline photos.

Barb Olson
O
o3v3tz
Apr 28, 2005
Hi Beth,

Obviously our posts crossed. I have been thinking that it would be good to have an FAQ about this area of backing up as well as moving to a new computer. So when Jim Jutte finishes his school session, I figured that he, Colin Walls and I could create such an FAQ.

Barb
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 28, 2005
Ah, the rumor is that Jim has finished school and is off playing!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections