AK
Posted By
A_Kirk
Apr 27, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Barbara, I just bought your book, the Missing Manual. I wanted to say thanks. It’s a great book for me. I’ve learned a lot on this forum about PSE 3. I have a few books on Elements, too.

But, your book has tons of details on things that I use in Elements, and that’s very helpful to have. You know–in case I need to refresh my memory on a tool that I hadn’t used for a while. :<)

I’ll recommend it to my friends.

Al

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 27, 2005
Why, thank you, Al. ;^)
AT
Anne_Twitchell
Apr 27, 2005
Barbara, I want to ditto what Al says. You’ve done a terrific job. I do have a specific question though. I wasn’t able to locate the downloadable images for the book’s tutorials on the Missing Manuals website. I found the free chapter and various other useful things, but not the tutorial images. How exactly can I find them?

Anne
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 27, 2005
HI, Anne. Please email me at bbrundageATmac.com. Thanks.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Apr 27, 2005
Considering all the glowing comments I’ve read on this forum regarding Barbara’s new book, I’m wondering if folks know where to go to leave their comments at a somewhat popular online bookstore so that many others will have the benefit of their impression of Barbara’s recent book. Hint, Hint. 😉
MD
malcolm_denton
Apr 27, 2005
Barbara….

Because your excellent book has now taken up permanent residence alongside my keyboard,can I make a plea for future editions – change the binding to spiral bound.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 27, 2005
Thanks, everyone. I don’t want to push Jim’s forbearance too far, so it’s probably better from now on if you have a book-specific question or comment to e-mail me directly. My address is in my profile. (Just click on my name.)
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 27, 2005
I asked it myself this countless times… The publisher always have the same argument : it would boost the price so high that people wouldn’t buy it.

Strangely.. I remember a long time ago, when I was studying in college, we had those Lotus 1-2-3 books with spirals… not having to put a brick on the book to keep it open!

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 27, 2005
Barbara …

Jim is on holiday until the 29th 🙂 🙂 .. 🙂

Wendy
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 27, 2005
Well, you never know – he may have somebody lurking to make sure we behave!

Let’s just either let thread drift move this to complaints about book binding or let it die off completely before Barbara gets in trouble. 🙂 We sure wouldn’t want her banned; that would be disaster!
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 27, 2005
Speaking of lurking and thread drift – is anybody besides me old enough to remember "taking names" from grade school?! Do teachers still single out kids to do that?

I always thought that was cruel; the teacher would pick one of the quiet, geeky kids (like me) to rat on the others when s/he left the room. You had to do it, because the teacher knew exactly which ones in the class would go out of control. If you wrote down their names, you were toast with the kids because you ratted on them. If you didn’t write down any names, you were toast with the teacher, because they already knew whose name should be on the list when they came back!

It’s no wonder I never liked school.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Apr 27, 2005
Beth, adults can be cruel…I have some stories as well about teachers of the past…I’ll spare you the details. All I will say is that I learned something in Grade 5 that made me realize that teachers were far from perfect..what a let down that was. One bad apple did spoil the bunch for me….Altho I did have a wicked crush on my English teacher in grade 10 😉
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 27, 2005
Beth & Jodi,

Teachers on this side of the Atlantic were just the same … and I didn’t like school much either 🙂

Wendy
JC
Jane Carter
Apr 28, 2005
I liked school, we were in rural Florida, a long, really long time ago. And I could beat up everybody who picked on my brothers or me. But things really changed and I became more civilized and loved math and science when we moved north. Missed the warm lovely weather though, and all my friends.
But isn’t it fun to live all over the USA and learn all over again when we move. Every little town is different and we fit in so differently. Our interests change with where we are.
And my brothers became teachers!
And I became a model student.
Thanks to the internet and you all, I still am. Retirement is wonderful!

Barbara’s book is just one of the things that make life great, its so easy to read, so easy to understand, like I said earlier, Im going to get some more copies and put them in our school libraries.
Jane
KG
Kerri_Garrison
Apr 28, 2005
Back to book binding…. 🙂

I don’t have my book yet, it’s in the mail, but depending how far the text is away from the current binding, you might be able to run it in to a print shop and have it spiral bound for a couple bucks. I’ve had this done to some piano music and cookbooks on occasion.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 28, 2005
I know this is going to be a stupid question… Do you have to manually remove all the pages from the book yourself or do you simply hand them the book (and praying that it’ll come back ok) ?

Ray
KG
Kerri_Garrison
Apr 28, 2005
I’ve just handed them them book. They usually flip through the pages, I suppose checking to make sure the text isn’t too close to the edge. I suppose they use their big "slicer" and just cut off the glued edge. There is no longer any title on the spine, of course. I’ve been very happy with what I’ve had done. Wonderful for thick piano books or cookbooks that don’t stay open on the piano or counter top. In fact, maybe I’ll go have my Kelby book done that way, now that I think about it!
M
maccie
Apr 28, 2005
I’ve had 5 books made with spiral bindings and what a difference its made when I need to use them when I do some of the tutorials. They work great.

I took them to Staples (have no affiliation with them) and each book came out to about $3. Worth every penny.

BTW, Love Barbara’s book and intend to do the spiral thing also.

Maccie
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 28, 2005
Well, thanks for the information! I’ll check that option out. It sure sounds like something I’m gonna be doing for quite a number of books.

Ray
P.S. I just love this forum… it’s always full of unvaluable tips and tricks!
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 28, 2005
"Raymond Robillard" wrote
P.S. I just love this forum… it’s always full of unvaluable tips and
tricks!

Ray,

And invaluable ones, too! LOL!!!

Byron
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 28, 2005
Did I made a booboo again ???? I should just shut the h..k up when I’m not near a dictionary. My appologies.

Ray
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 28, 2005
"Raymond Robillard" wrote
Did I made a booboo again ???? I should just shut the h..k up when I’m not
near a dictionary. My appologies.

Ray,

You have nothing for which to apologize!! Your meaning was clear. The typo simply made a convenient joke.

Sorry for posting the way I did.

Byron
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 28, 2005
We forgive you Ray. 🙂 I’m still amazed at your command of the language, especially when you’re writing. I know a lot of well educated people (with English as their primary language) who can’t compose a sentence as well as you. Although, I guess there are a lot of us who know all the rules of grammar but don’t always apply them in casual settings like this.
JC
Jane Carter
Apr 28, 2005
Hi Ray, You are wonderful! You add some of the best humor to this forum.

I just called my local Staples store to see if they would do this for my copy too. They said that we have to get permission from the author or publisher for them to spiral any textbook or a book like Barbara’s. Anything copyrighted.

It sure would be easier to have them lie flat on my desk,,,,,,,, Jane
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 28, 2005
Byron : I forgot to add a smiley at the end of my message…

🙂

I really wasn’t offended by your message… In fact, I laughed a lot when I realized I had said exactly the opposite of what I meant. Only me can do that!! I’m suffering from a "reverse personality syndrom" today 🙂 Mac OS Tiger is too near, I’m getting too excited !!! (My copy should be delivered tomorrow at noon)

At work, I have an old (1998) Dell Beige box. It’s not exactly state of the art (any 18 months old PC isn’t state of the art nowadays, imagine my work pc now.. !), so I can’t use my dictionary because it’s too slow, too demanding and it takes an awful lot of time to find anything. So, when I’m at work, I need to rely on my knowledge.

And now, they plan on rolling out Windows XP on those same machine. I plan on commiting suicide shortly after (just kidding) 🙂

Beth : Thank you 🙂

Ray
KG
Kerri_Garrison
Apr 28, 2005
Jane,
That’s amazing! (I’d try a different printer.)

My Barbara book just arrived today.
On the copyright page it says:
"This book uses RepKover(TM), a durable and flexible lay-flat binding."

Can’t wait to dig in and see how it works! (First I’ll go sit in my easy chair and read a bit.)
JF
Jodi_Frye
Apr 28, 2005
Ray, time to switch jobs. Any company that is still using old computers like that isn’t going to be any good for you 🙂
M
maccie
Apr 28, 2005
I took Mikkel Aaland, Richard Lynch, Katrin Eismann, Gregory Georges books and had them ‘spiralled’

I would just bring them in and I bet not one book will be questioned. When I called my local Staples to see if they do this kind of thing and they said ‘sure, just bring them in’

Maccie
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 28, 2005
Well, I’m sitting here with the book laying open (and pretty flat!) on the table next to the computer. I suppose the spiral binding might be an advantage if you were tight on space, because you could fold half the book back, but this is pretty good for a book!
D
DeLynn
Apr 28, 2005
Barbara,

I spent 15 minutes browsing your book yesterday==it looks terrific! I didn’t purchase it because my birthday is coming up, and it is a perfect thing to go on my list. If I don’t receive it for a gift, I will buy it myself! 🙂

I wanted to echo the comments about getting books spiral bound. It is worth the cost! I am so surprised about the answer from the first Staples–I would just try another printer if they won’t do it. I have taken many books to my local printer to have them spiral bound. My daughter is a pianist–you can’t imagine the music she has that won’t stay open on the rack on the piano.

Bravo, Barbara on the book!

DeLynn
M
maccie
Apr 28, 2005
Beth you are quite right about Barbara’s book laying flat which I discovered today. I won’t do the spiral thing on hers.

However, the books I had spiraled would lose some of their pages when I tried to keep them flat with whatever I could put on top of them to keep them flat. It was a real pain and I was glad to find out about the spiraling bit.

Maccie
AM
Al_Millstein
Apr 30, 2005
Barbara-

Received your book a week or two ago, and love it. I have used many how to do it computer books, and can say yours is tops among books; readable, understandable, comprehendable, and lovable. The illustrations are beautiful, and right to the point being made.

However, I tried to download Grant’s plug in tools at
"http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Challenge/Tools/index.html" Got back a message they couldn’t find the site.

Any answer or explanation?

TIA

Al
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 30, 2005
EDIT No, the URL is fine. I just tried it and it worked for me.
AM
Al_Millstein
Apr 30, 2005
By gosh, it worked this time for me too.

Oh, well, ces’t la guerre.

Al

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections