Why AMD chips better than Pentium in PC use for web designing and related chores

K
Posted By
kopohui
Oct 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there,

l would like to express my greatest appreciation to those replied to my previous posting "What type of PC configuration are DW, Photoshop and etc fit into??", thank you so much, from those replies l somehow more or less, got a clue what to get for my PC, in its coming upgrading..

However, from almost all the feedback l’d gather, l noticed most user preferred AMD chips to Pentium, whereas large number of my pals a nd associates recommend Pentium processor.. caught in a middle.. any folks outhere could kindly enlight me??

thanks n have a nice day ahead…

Best Regards

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

WT
William Tasso
Oct 11, 2003
Ko Po Hui wrote:

However, from almost all the feedback l’d gather, l noticed most user preferred AMD chips to Pentium, whereas large number of my pals a nd associates recommend Pentium processor.. caught in a middle.. any folks outhere could kindly enlight me??

I would suggest your choice on motherboard would be more important. Once that decision is made, then go with the processor it supports – either will be fine.

William Tasso – http://WilliamTasso.com
DD
Dan DeVincent
Oct 11, 2003

"Ko Po Hui" wrote in message Hi there,

l would like to express my greatest appreciation to those replied to my previous posting "What type of PC configuration are DW, Photoshop and etc fit into??", thank you so much, from those replies l somehow more or less, got a clue what to get for my PC, in its coming upgrading..

Best Regards

If I were recommending something to you for image editing, I would definately recommend a Pentium 4 or Xeon. Things I have found out, are that AMD’s tend to beat Pentiums in gaming, but Pentiums always beat AMD in multimedia like image/video editing and so on.

Right now, for my workstation (just for image editing/web development/casual things), im running on a dual 2.4ghz Intel Xeon. All I can say is, Its great, been everything I wanted. Plus windows detects my dual xeons really as 4 processors (: .

So flat out for what your doing, I would say get a Pentium, Then , like william said, get a good motherboard to match it. Many underestimate the power of the motherboard, it is the thing in your computer that connects all of those little parts. For a motherboard, I would definately recommend nothing less than a Giga-Byte/Asus.

Thanks,
Dan
Hosting for the New Age
www.DynamoHosting.net
R
rekilowatt
Oct 11, 2003

I prefer Pentium over AMD, though I’ve used both and not run into any real problems. I don’t trust the speed claims that AMD makes and the way they rate their chips. Does an AMD XP 2000+ run as fast or faster than a P4 2GB? I’m not so sure about that.

Also AMD’s use more power and run hotter.

Red E. Kilowatt
Advertise your webmaster-related products
and services in news:alt.www.webmaster.ads
Read the FAQs at: http://aww-faq.org and http://awwa.aww-faq.org/
A
Ange
Oct 11, 2003
"Ko Po Hui" wrote in message
Hi there,

However, from almost all the feedback l’d gather, l noticed most user preferred AMD chips to Pentium, whereas large number of my pals a nd associates recommend Pentium processor.. caught in a middle.. any folks outhere could kindly enlight me??<

I agree with Red – AMD chips seem burn hotter, esp for imaging apps. I distinctly recall replacing a couple of motherboards with AMD chips (this was 4 or 5 years ago, so I don’t know if they’ve improved). Heatsinks were literally fried out and the case fans worked overtime. Again, this was several years ago, so it may have improved, but I don’t know that I’d bet my system on it yet when using imaging and design applications.

YMMV.

~ange
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
PF
Paul Furman
Oct 11, 2003
Unless things have changed recently the main difference is price. AMD is less expensive and probably not quite as stable. Perhaps that allows you to afford a dual versus single or a faster chip.

Ko Po Hui wrote:

Hi there,

l would like to express my greatest appreciation to those replied to my previous posting *"What type of PC configuration are DW, Photoshop and etc fit into??"*, thank you so much, from those replies l somehow more or less, got a clue what to get for my PC, in its coming upgrading..

Best Regards

A
a?n?g?e?l
Oct 11, 2003
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:44:44 +0800, "Ko Po Hui" wrote:

However, from almost all the feedback l’d gather, l noticed most user = preferred AMD chips to Pentium, whereas large number of my pals a nd = associates recommend Pentium processor.. caught in a middle.. any folks = outhere could kindly enlight me??

It depends on who and what. Generally, people who aren’t too familiar with what they are using, tend to recommend Intel because of the marketing.

While AMD are pretty good all round, especially in terms of responsiveness and pricing. For the case of multimedia stuff, I have to say the Pentium 4s are probably a better choice in terms of performance, especially the HT enabled processor should allow you to get some other stuff done while waiting for those minute long filters.

Though as mentioned, the motherboard is more important than the chip if you want to talk about stability & reliability. In most cases, the board is more likely to die on you before the CPU.

However, if your CPU does die, Intel does have one benefit over AMD. At least in .SG where we both are, Intel does a direct exchange thru Fedex(or UPS), for AMD it takes ages.

As for AMD running hotter, it’s not really true. Part of the problem was due to an infamous video as well as Intel’s deliberate fudging of their thermal figures to make their chips look cooler. If you compare performance equivalent processor grades, their thermal dissipation are largely similar.

Current boards generally come with thermal protection so neither are likely to burn and die on you… unless you’re the kind that enjoy ripping off your heatsink while playing a 3D game or using PS.

Frankly, if I were you, I’ll take my budget, splurge on 1GB of RAM, a pair of large 120GB or bigger HDD with a RAID 1 card, then a 19" or bigger screen, then whatever’s left, goes to the board and processor :PppPp

L.Angel: I’m looking for web design work.
If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me 🙂 Standard HTML, SHTML, MySQL + PHP or ASP, Javascript.
If you really want, FrontPage & DreamWeaver too.
But keep in mind you pay extra bandwidth for their bloated code
PD
Paul Davis
Oct 11, 2003
Ko Po Hui wrote:

Hi there,

Doesn’t really matter all that much, AMDs and Intels are good product. I own both CPUs (2.4ghz each) and they are comparable for what I do with them. The real critical factor is the motherboard. The same CPU with excellent components in the system with the wrong motherboard is throwing away money.
Paul

—–= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =—– http://www.newsfeeds.com – The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! —–== Over 100,000 Newsgroups – 19 Different Servers! =—–
F
Faolan
Oct 11, 2003
In article <bm8f2c$b1r$
says…
Hi there,

Best Regards

For chip speeds. AMD are about equal or better up to about the 2800/2.8Ghz mark then Intel are better.

Hyperthreading, a feature that’s only use on the higher 875 Mobo’s and you pay the price. Some mobo’s bypass this with their 865 mobo’s, but it’s not official. It’s a nice feature that can speed up the processor but it really depends on the processes, and can actually slow down the system in some cases!.

AMD also have a new chip called the Opteron, there are several variants for the markets (Desktop, Gaming/Workstation and server). It’s actually faster than many of the equivalent speed Intels. Also the great advantage it’s a 64Bit Processor, but Windows won’t support it till next year. Linux already does. However as it’s a new product the market is still developing to take advantage of it, but looks promising, but is rather expensive at present. Benchmarks depending on which chip it excels in 3d gfx work.

When buying a new system, concentrate on the mobo. Giga-Byte give a lot of bang for the buck, and usually well recommended as the most stable mobo around.

Summary, AMD is usually cheaper and well regarded (ignore people who say that they run hot, are unstable etc that’s partially Intel propaganda). AMD is seen the gamers/over clockers choice but makes a good workstation.

Intel you have to spend a lot of money to the full features of the P4 (Hyperthreading) by getting a 875 Mobo rather than a 865. The main ‘image’ of the chip is it’s a ‘corporate’ chip aimed at the business market.

Order of precedence for spending money on a system:

Mobo
RAM
Processor
Hard drive
Gfx card
Any other devices (sound, LAN, SCSI)

Check out www.TomsHardware.com for info on the chips and variants.

Personally I run both of my workstations (one with dual Athlon and the other single processor) with AMD. Ironically the main workstation is only running a 1.4 Athlon but I get by with it. I spent most of my money on the Mobo and the RAM (1.3Gb) as I work with largish images. Also SCSI helps a *lot*.

Scottish Heritage:
http://www.CelticShadows.co.uk
J
john
Oct 12, 2003
good post there

seems like you really know your stuff
What motherboard do you recommend with HT chips ?

I am thinking of getting a DIY but prices of DELL is really attractive Any idea what sort of motherboard DELL uses ?

"The little lost angel" <a?n?g?e?> wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:44:44 +0800, "Ko Po Hui" wrote:

However, from almost all the feedback l’d gather, l noticed most user = preferred AMD chips to Pentium, whereas large number of my pals a nd = associates recommend Pentium processor.. caught in a middle.. any folks = outhere could kindly enlight me??

It depends on who and what. Generally, people who aren’t too familiar with what they are using, tend to recommend Intel because of the marketing.

While AMD are pretty good all round, especially in terms of responsiveness and pricing. For the case of multimedia stuff, I have to say the Pentium 4s are probably a better choice in terms of performance, especially the HT enabled processor should allow you to get some other stuff done while waiting for those minute long filters.
Though as mentioned, the motherboard is more important than the chip if you want to talk about stability & reliability. In most cases, the board is more likely to die on you before the CPU.

However, if your CPU does die, Intel does have one benefit over AMD. At least in .SG where we both are, Intel does a direct exchange thru Fedex(or UPS), for AMD it takes ages.

As for AMD running hotter, it’s not really true. Part of the problem was due to an infamous video as well as Intel’s deliberate fudging of their thermal figures to make their chips look cooler. If you compare performance equivalent processor grades, their thermal dissipation are largely similar.

Current boards generally come with thermal protection so neither are likely to burn and die on you… unless you’re the kind that enjoy ripping off your heatsink while playing a 3D game or using PS.
Frankly, if I were you, I’ll take my budget, splurge on 1GB of RAM, a pair of large 120GB or bigger HDD with a RAID 1 card, then a 19" or bigger screen, then whatever’s left, goes to the board and processor :PppPp

If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me
🙂
Standard HTML, SHTML, MySQL + PHP or ASP, Javascript.
F
Fred
Oct 12, 2003
AMD or Intel cpu? Excuse, but that’s a ridiculous question. Doesn’t matter at all, both are great.
Just *don’t* buy the *fastest* model of either product; they are hilariously overpriced.

The motherboard matters in terms of stability. And you want a reputable company that will still supply you with BIOS updates in two or three years from now.

You want at least 512 MB RAM, better 1 GB or more. Don’t buy the cheapest no-name RAM.

Because you have to save your work often (Photoshop), you want a fast harddisk drive (IDE), or two or three of the same in an IDE RAID array. It’s just no fun to sit still and wait for 15 seconds while you’re saving your work – because when you’re correcting a photo you might do this every other minute.

BTW: you don’t need a fast graphics card for Photoshop. You don’t need any 3d hardware support for Photoshop. This is a common misconception. Any cheap graphics card will do, as long as it gives a good quality signal and has enough RAM for your screen size (e.g. 8 MB for 1600 x 1200 pixels @ 32 bit ‘color depth’ per pixel).

the gloomy future of computing: TCPA/TCG/Palladium/NGSCB/DRM FAQ

– english (original) http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html – deutsch (transl.) http://moon.hipjoint.de/tcpa-palladium-faq-de.html
W
Wipkip
Oct 12, 2003
Fred wrote:
<snip>
BTW: you don’t need a fast graphics card for Photoshop. You don’t need any 3d hardware support for Photoshop. This is a common misconception. Any cheap graphics card will do, as long as it gives a good quality signal and has enough RAM for your screen size (e.g. 8 MB for 1600 x 1200 pixels @ 32 bit ‘color depth’ per pixel).

Maxtor G450 is about the best for the money for Photoshop.

Duende
A
a?n?g?e?l
Oct 12, 2003
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 08:17:43 +0800, wrote:
seems like you really know your stuff
What motherboard do you recommend with HT chips ?

It would depend on what exactly you need. Generally I’ll suggest you look for the reliable brand names and see which one fits your budget and feature set. Since you’re looking to push the system like the way gamers do, almost any board from a reputable manufacturer (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI) would be good enough.

Avoid the enthusiast brands like Abit, Epox etc. While they might give a tad "more" performance with lotsa of gizmos & tweaking functions, I haven’t really heard good things ahout their reliability & stability.

I am thinking of getting a DIY but prices of DELL is really attractive Any idea what sort of motherboard DELL uses ?

They change from time to time, last I heard, MSI’s supposed to be doing the manufacturering. Just not sure when they are taking over the current manufacturer. If you’re not familiar with DIY, a Dell might be a viable option. Though personally, I’d never buy one for myself :PPpppP

If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me 🙂 Standard HTML, SHTML, MySQL + PHP or ASP, Javascript.
D
dello
Oct 13, 2003
The little lost angel wrote:

They change from time to time, last I heard, MSI’s supposed to be doing the manufacturering. Just not sure when they are taking over the current manufacturer. If you’re not familiar with DIY, a Dell might be a viable option. Though personally, I’d never buy one for myself

One advantage of Dell is that you get a legal copy of Windows XP, which can be the most expensive item for a DIY.
R
rfgdxm
Oct 13, 2003
wrote:

One advantage of Dell is that you get a legal copy of Windows XP, which can be the most expensive item for a DIY.

Of course, for those who have no ethical qualms about piracy, and are sure they won’t get caught… 😉

http://www.dextromethorphan.ws/
For information about the psychedelic drug DXM, including dangers. Yet another murder by someone on Coricidin:
http://www.coricidin.org/kansas-coricidin-murder.htm
WT
William Tasso
Oct 13, 2003
rfgdxm/Robert F. Golaszewski wrote:
wrote:

Of course, for those who have no ethical qualms about piracy, and are sure they won’t get caught… 😉

and subscribers to MSDN – oh but you already implied that ;o)

William Tasso – http://WilliamTasso.com
DV
David Venn-Brown
Oct 13, 2003
wrote:

They change from time to time, last I heard, MSI’s supposed to be doing the manufacturering. Just not sure when they are taking over the current manufacturer. If you’re not familiar with DIY, a Dell might be a viable option. Though personally, I’d never buy one for myself

Imagine how much it would cost if it wasn’t crap.
PF
Paul Furman
Oct 14, 2003
You can get an OEM OS from a lot of parts suppliers if you also get some parts from them. I don’t know the legality but I’ve heard it’s pretty common. Seems a reasonable loophole, perhaps.

wrote:

A
a?n?g?e?l
Oct 14, 2003
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:44:01 GMT, wrote:

Yah, another good reason to avoid them… :ppPpP
DIY’ing a new system usually means you can get a copy of OEM OS only to be sold with a "new system" (last i heard defined as a board + CPU or something) for relatively cheaper prices than a retail one. Or re-use an older OS.

Of course, one could just defy The Evil Empire and go straight to a Linux setup.

D
dello
Oct 14, 2003
Who are these suppliers?

Paul Furman wrote:
You can get an OEM OS from a lot of parts suppliers if you also get some parts from them. I don’t know the legality but I’ve heard it’s pretty common. Seems a reasonable loophole, perhaps.

wrote:

PF
Paul Furman
Oct 14, 2003
Sorry, I only know this second hand. I think it’s pretty common though.

wrote:

Who are these suppliers?

Paul Furman wrote:

wrote:

H
Hecate
Oct 14, 2003
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:42:47 +1000, "GB"
wrote:

I saw a few tests where there was a tiny decrease, but this is normally fairly insignificant, and easily traded off against the larger number off applications that gain much more enhancements from it. Many of my apps have speed up, and I’ve benchmarked my own real world usage improvements in TMPGEnc up to a 45% speed increase.
It’s variable, but, usually, the speed increases involved are minute as well and really only work for multithread aware, HT aware applications, particularly those that are 3D. For 2D applications, there is a speed decrease, which is also small. Consequently, if you are using mainly 2D applications, you’re better off without HT. Further, HT speed increases are less than purchasing a mobo and Athlon 64 processor, though those increases are small as well (albeit larger than with an Intel 32 bit HT processor.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections