BC
Posted By
Bill_Costello
Apr 26, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know how to usefully print panorama images (other than in segments) with Adobe software?

I’ve mounted roll paper on my printer, but the best I’ve been able to get with either Album, Elements, or Photoshop 7 is a short, narrow strip about an inch wide on one edge of the roll. The software that came with my Olympus digital camera has no clue on printing them, even though it can very nicely stitch the pieces together.

If not Adobe, then is there some other software that can do this.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CW
Colin_Walls
Apr 26, 2005
Broadly, all you need to do is define a custom paper size that corresponds to what you’re going to print. Then do print preview and see what it shows.
BC
Bill_Costello
Apr 26, 2005
How would you choose the custom size, given I’m using roll paper? Is there a way to convert from the pixel dimensions to the size?
CW
Colin_Walls
Apr 26, 2005
Is there a way to convert from the pixel dimensions to the size?

Use Imag/Resize/Image size. With resampling unchecked, set the height to the width of your paper, the image width will then be th elength of paper you will use.

Now check the PPI value. Is it more than say 180? If not, come back here.
BC
Bill_Costello
Apr 26, 2005
I did as you suggested, finding a size of 26.831" x 4", then saved the image. On trying to print this in Elements 3.0, I tried to set the print size using these numbers, and it complains "The value you’ve entered is outside the available range. The closest valid value will be used." It gives me 4" x 11" as a result. Any suggestions here?
CW
Colin_Walls
Apr 26, 2005
The available range is determined by the printer [driver]. Do you need to set an option on the printer to enable printing on roll stock?
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 26, 2005
There should be settings within your printer software. Have you gone into Page Setup at the bottom of the Print screen? You don’t say which version of Elements you’re using, so the Page Setup option might be along the right side of the Print Preview screen if you’re using PSE 2.0. Whichever, you need to be within your printer settings in order to set the option to make use of the roll paper.

If you post some information about your printer, there might be someone else with the same model who can be more specific.
CW
Colin_Walls
Apr 26, 2005
Beth and I seem to be on the same track. Always a good sign. 🙂
BC
Bill_Costello
Apr 26, 2005
I’m using PSE 3.0, and I did set the printer to roll paper using Page Setup. The printer is Epson Sylus Photo 875DC. In Page Setup, I’ve set the paper source to Roll Paper. However, I didn’t change the paper size away from 8.5 x 11 Letter. The other options didn’t seem to match – the most interesting are 4 x 6 (100 mm x 152 mm), Panoramic (210 mm x 594 mm), User Defined, and several others which seem irrelevant. Also, on the main print screen, I’ve selected Individual Prints for the type, and a drop-down of Print Sizes, such as Actual Size, 4 x 6, Fit on Page, and Custom. Custom was where I tried to set the 26+ in. size on my last trial. I trued Acutal Size, and got the thin strip again.
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 26, 2005
I don’t know about my alter ego, Colin, but I’m now going to sit back and wait for an Epson user to show up! I’m an HP and Canon gal myself. 🙂
BB
brent bertram
Apr 26, 2005
I can’t remember the specifics of the settings, but I have successfully done 24 and 28 inch panoramas on my Epson 890, by selecting roll paper, and creating a custom paper size for the image. It’s been a couple years since I’ve done it, but the work has to be done in the print driver, for sure . Keep plugging away. I’m at work right now, and don’t have the driver on my laptop, or I’d have more info.

🙂

Brent
BC
Bill_Costello
Apr 27, 2005
Good news! I’ve found a way to actually print these panorama images.

First, I edit the image size to 4" height by whatever the program calculates. For all this, I’m using Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0, the Standard Editor (not the simple one).

Second, in the Print Preview dialog, select Print Size as Actual Size, the resized values will appear. Then click Page Setup and select the printer.

Third, select the Printer Properties Dialog for my Epson 875DC ink jet printer, on the Main tab, set the Media Type to Epson Photo Quality Ink Jet Paper.

Fourth, on the Paper tab, select Paper Source – Roll Paper, then select Page Size as User Defined.

Fifth, a User Defined Paper Size dialog comes up. Enter a name for this custom page size. Choose units, either .01 cm or .01 in. I used the cm units. The roll paper box from Epson lists the size as 100 mm x 8 m. Then enter the Paper Width as 1000 units, and the Paper Height as the maximum value 32767 (8 m. is more than this).

Sixth, I chose Landscape Mode, the final key element in getting the right print.

The result was quite beautiful. I printed one that was taken along the Mohawk Trail in Massachusetts last Fall, with great foliage colors. Another was of on Cape Cod last week, a panorama from Chatham Light to Morris Is. taken from the barrier sand dune on South Beach. I suppose framing will be a custom job.

Thanks to all for your help.
BB
brent bertram
Apr 27, 2005
Congratulations,
And thanks for the step-by-step explanation. I suspect it will help others in the future.

🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections