LE
Posted By
Larry_Emke
Apr 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am running P.S.Elements V3.0 – on an AMD – 1G ram/ WIN2k – SP4. I had a 40Gig partition with 1Gig free, when I started.

I have been trying to:
1. full backup
2. move (w. delete) to CDROM.
3. Some times, always during the "delete" phase (which tends to be "long", the program reports that it "cannot continue" and then closes down.
4. Some of the images have been marked with the "CD" icon.
Others remain on disk.
5 I have not done any other work on the partition except backups and Moves. My disk is now down to 50M of free space.

How can I clean up this mess (where is the extra space being used?) What is causing the abnormal endings? Seems to me something is wrong with this application?

Basicly the only (majority) data on te partiton is TIF,JPB,PSD images (over 35G).

Thanks,

Larry Emke

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

LE
Larry_Emke
Apr 28, 2005
More information on this.
It seems there are two different constraints working.
1) backing up MOV type files.
2) Filling up hard drive
a) target drive
b) Windows (program files) drive.

I have partitioned my 120Gig drive into several partitions for backup purposes and error isolation.
My pictures are stored on the "J" partition.
The PS Elements software is stored the Windows drive (F).

After removeing all MOV files from my catalog, I attempted to MOVE all "images" not already moved. My windows drive started out with 1.6Gig of free diskspace. My target drive started with
5.6 Gig of free space. The "Move" was successful in copying all
data to disk. However the "delete" phase (i.e. create thumbnails and remove version sets) failed, with the following error message:

———————————————————— ——– Adobe Photoshop Elements

(x) The ODBC data source reported for the following error:

"[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Record is deleted."

[ ] Don’t Show Again.
———————————————————— ———

When I checked free space on the computer, (before ending the PS Elements program) I found the target drive had 5.7G free and the windows drive had ZERO (0) free space. After terminating the PS Elements program, the Windows drive now shows 34.1M free.

I checked the TEMP directory on the WINDOWS disk, but it was empty. How can I clean up the extra data left on the WINDOWS partition after this error?
How can I direct PS Elements to use a different drive for its work space, without moving the program off of the windows partition.

Thanks,

Larry Emke
N
narya
May 1, 2005
Larry, I’m not at all sure about your problems, as I myself have never used the move or archive command to put images on CDs or DVDs, but I suspect that the small amount of free space on your hard drive is causing your problems. I’d try to free up some more space temporarily (at least 10% free) on your Windows drive and try again.

To find the recently added temp files by PSE I’d try the Windows search function and look for files and folders created within the last day/week …

Alexander.

Canon Ixus 430 (aka S410) | x86 with XP Pro | PSE v3.0.1 with 3k images | 12" Powerbook soon 🙂
N
narya
May 1, 2005
How can I direct PS Elements to use a different drive for its work space, without moving the program off of the windows partition.

I don’t think that’s possible, not even by installing PSE on another partition. I’d guess it would still use the default Windows temp folders.
LE
Larry_Emke
May 2, 2005
I found the files under the "%TEMP%" file definition, and deleted them.

It may be that the MOVE process needs some additional
thought put into it, in terms of error processing.

At this stage in its development, it looks like most software. It seems to assume all things will finish without
running into any system limits – a very poor assumption!

Thanks for your help,

Larry Emke

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections