Posted By
Frank_V_Mitchell
Apr 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Colin
I had tried both of your suggestions ar high magnification. I had also tried the ‘box’ idea except that my selection box was circular (ie ‘the circle’ I referred to)

Barbara
I tried the highlight idea. The original highlights were pinkish and not as white as the whites of the eye. So I tried making the highlights pure white first. Didn’t help.

I had tried a pupil size down to 15%. Reducing the pupil size further to 1% improved it somewhat but the black area was still too large.

Ken
The duplicate layer idea sounds as if it should work. I’ll try that next.

If that doesn’t work it looks as if I might have to fix it one pixel at a time 8^)

Thanks to all for your help

Frank

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CW
Colin_Walls
Apr 25, 2005
my selection box was circular

Maybe that’s a PC vs Mac difference … Odd.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 25, 2005
Hi, Colin. No, it’s not a PC/Mac thing.

Frank, changing the highlights would actually make the tool work worse. First of all, it doesn’t sound like you’re using it correctly. As Colin said in an earlier post, you zoom in on the eyes and click once with the tool. If you decide to drag across the eye instead, you do it with the red eye tool, which makes a rectangular selection (I personally do not think the dragging method works well). As I said, sometimes the red eye tool just doesn’t get it and you have to use an alternate method.
FV
Frank_V_Mitchell
Apr 26, 2005
Colin
I meant that I made a circulat selection around the pupil instead of a rectangular one before trying to use the red eye tool. I thought it might prevent the ‘correction’ from extending outside the selected circle.

Barbara
You are right, of course. I didn’t realise I could make the rectangular selection with the red eye tool itself!

That works a lot better. Far from perfect – but probably acceptable in this case.

Thank you very much for the tip – now I must go and look for your book 8^)

Frank
MH
mandi_humphrey
Apr 26, 2005
this probably sounds crazy but I had the same problem. This is what I started doing and it works wonders…
use the lasso tool to outline the eye area
make tool small enough to fit the pupil
use the clone tool and click on something dark…I use their hair color click on the pupil and viola! you have a dark pupil.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 26, 2005
Mandi,

Another way of removing red eye manually is:

Select the red area plus a few pixels … feather a little. Enhance>colour>Hue & Sat> … select red from the edit box and reduce saturation to zero or thereabouts
Enhance>Brightness & contrast>levels .. move the left hand marker in about a third of the way and move the centre marker over to the right until the area goes dark … not too far or it will look artificial.

I find that it gives me more control over the results 🙂

Wendy

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections