Posted By
Janet_Anderson
Apr 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Every time I work in 3.0, I find I have more questions! Here’s the latest:

When I used to do a "Save As" in Elements 1.0, I could choose to save it as a copy. When I did so (which was regularly), the file name would change to automatically include the word "copy." I liked that because I didn’t have to change it manually, but the word "copy" in the file name allowed me to easily differentiate it from the original file. However, 3.0 does not do this, which means that I must manually alter the file name. This takes up time that I don’t want to spend. Is there any way to change this?

Also, though I usually work with JPEG’s, I just did an edit on a TIFF file and wanted to save it as a JPEG, so I selected JPEG from the drop-down list in the "Save As" box. However, the file extension remained ".tif" after I did this. A check of the properties of the newly saved file showed that it was still in TIFF format instead of JPEG, as I selected. What did I do wrong? (When I did the same thing in 1.0, the file was successfully saved as a JPEG.)

TIA for your help,
Janet

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

LM
Lou_M
Apr 25, 2005
Hi, Janet.

Yes, Save As… does not append ‘copy’ to the filename. You can use File->Duplicate… which will append ‘copy’ and then do a File->Save.

As for the Save As… different file format, I find that in the Save As… dialog box, as soon as I choose a different file type, the file extension changes immediately. Does that work for you?
JA
Janet_Anderson
Apr 26, 2005
Lou, I did "File>Duplicate" first, and it added the word "copy" to the filename, as you said. I will do this from now on. I wonder why 3.0 requires this extra step? It seems odd that the procedure was simpler in 1.0!

I once again attempted selecting a different file type in "Save As," but the new file type did not automatically appear in the file name. I had to manually change it from ".tif" to ".jpg" and then it did save as a JPEG. I wonder why it changes automatically for you and not for me??

Anyway, thanks for the helpful info!

Janet

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections