FS
Posted By
Fred Scuttle
Apr 14, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, hoping someone can clear up an area of confusion for me – when sharpening photo’s which is the better process?. I have been using Elements
2.0 Unsharp mask & setting the threshold to around 1, radius to approx 0.7,
& amount variable depending on the subject matter. I have recently been on a short course for digital photography which recommended using (on a background copy layer) Filter/Other/High pass – set to radius of 10, then going to the layer copy/change from Normal to hard light; then adjusting the Opacity to whatever suits (average around 36%). Managed to get all that in four lines!! Many thanks for any information, Regards Alan…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

LH
Larry Horse
Apr 14, 2005
"Fred Scuttle" wrote in message
| Hi, hoping someone can clear up an area of confusion for me – when | sharpening photo’s which is the better process?. I have been using Elements | 2.0 Unsharp mask & setting the threshold to around 1, radius to approx 0.7, | & amount variable depending on the subject matter. I have recently been on a | short course for digital photography which recommended using (on a | background copy layer) Filter/Other/High pass – set to radius of 10, then | going to the layer copy/change from Normal to hard light; then adjusting the | Opacity to whatever suits (average around 36%). Managed to get all that in | four lines!! Many thanks for any information, Regards Alan… |
|

I’ve been using the Unsharp Mask in 3.0. I’d never heard about the High-Pass Filter method so I tried it. I like it! Thank you for the post.
R
Roy
Apr 15, 2005
Hi, hoping someone can clear up an area of confusion for me – when sharpening photo’s which is the better process?. I have been using Elements
2.0 Unsharp mask & setting the threshold to around 1, radius to approx
& amount variable depending on the subject matter. I have recently been on a
short course for digital photography which recommended using (on a background copy layer) Filter/Other/High pass – set to radius of 10, then going to the layer copy/change from Normal to hard light; then adjusting the
Opacity to whatever suits (average around 36%). Managed to get all that in four lines!! Many thanks for any information, Regards Alan…
I have been using the High Pass Filter method for some time now and much prefer it to Unsharp Mask.

It is very simple to go back and alter the amount of sharpening, right up until layers are flattened.

Roy G
DA
Donald Allen
Apr 15, 2005
I have PE3. I don’t have "layer/copy/" change from normal to hard light. Help please.
Thanks

Hi, hoping someone can clear up an area of confusion for me – when sharpening photo’s which is the better process?. I have been using
Elements
2.0 Unsharp mask & setting the threshold to around 1, radius to approx

& amount variable depending on the subject matter. I have recently been on
a
short course for digital photography which recommended using (on a background copy layer) Filter/Other/High pass – set to radius of 10, then going to the layer copy/change from Normal to hard light; then adjusting
the
Opacity to whatever suits (average around 36%). Managed to get all that in four lines!! Many thanks for any information, Regards Alan…
BP
Bill P
Apr 16, 2005
Thanks for that fred. I like it.

Bill P
Sometimes known as Bill Payer.

Fred Scuttle wrote:
2.0 Unsharp mask & setting the threshold to around 1, radius to approx 0.7, & amount variable depending on the subject matter. I have recently been on a short course for digital photography which recommended using (on a background copy layer) Filter/Other/High pass – set to radius of 10, then going to the layer copy/change from Normal to hard light; then adjusting the Opacity to whatever suits (average around 36%). Managed to get all that in four lines!! Many thanks for any information, Regards Alan…
J
jfitz
Apr 17, 2005
"HP" wrote in message
I have PE3. I don’t have "layer/copy/" change from normal to hard light. Help please.
Thanks

In the Palette Bin, select the Layers Tab, click on the newly created layer to which the High Pass Filter has been applied, choose Hard Light from the left drop down box, set the opacity using the slider that will appear when you click on the right drop down box.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections