J
Posted By
Jack
Apr 11, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just purchased Photoshop elements 3.0 and notice that in the browser window, the pictures are displayed with the date. Is there any way to display the filename instead.

I used a search in this forum and there was one other post with this question but the response was that you can change it by clicking on an arrow in the bottom of the screen. I have no such buttons available and nothig any any menu that allows a different sort. Was that a different version

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
jfitz
Apr 11, 2005
"Jack" wrote in message
I just purchased Photoshop elements 3.0 and notice that in the browser window, the pictures are displayed with the date. Is there any way to display the filename instead.

If by "browser window" you mean the Organizer got to EDIT>PREFERENCES.GENERAL. Click on the box marked SHOW FILE NAMES IN DETAILS, then click on OK. Your pictures will now display with the date and the filename.

You can turn the name/date display off or on by checking or unchecking the details box at the bottom left of the toolbar below the main organizer window – the toolbar with the slider to select how many images to show in the organizer window.
J
Jack
Apr 11, 2005
I did that (checked the box "Show filenames in Details")and still only the date appears in the organizer window. If I click the details checkbox on the bottom left as you mentioned, it turns the date on /off but still no file name appears. Is there some other setting I am missing? Also, I dont find any "Sort" option on the menus Thanks for any suggestions
Jack

"jfitz" wrote in message
"Jack" wrote in message

If by "browser window" you mean the Organizer got to EDIT>PREFERENCES.GENERAL. Click on the box marked SHOW FILE NAMES IN DETAILS, then click on OK. Your pictures will now display with the date and the filename.

You can turn the name/date display off or on by checking or unchecking the details box at the bottom left of the toolbar below the main organizer window – the toolbar with the slider to select how many images to show in the organizer window.

J
jfitz
Apr 11, 2005
"Jack" wrote in message
I did that (checked the box "Show filenames in Details")and still only the date appears in the organizer window. If I click the details checkbox on the bottom left as you mentioned, it turns the date on /off but still no file name appears. Is there some other setting I am missing?

Regardless of setting, the filename disappears, at 1024 x 768 screen res, when more than six thumbnails are displayed per row. Try moving the slider, bottom right, to display six or less thumbnails per row. This number may vary with screen resolution. If this does not work, Elements settings may be scambled and need a reset. To reset, follow the reset insturctions found here: http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2005/03/30/PE3forWindows.htm l

Also, I dont find any "Sort" option on the menus

The "sort" option is in the window to the left of the details checkbox.
J
jfitz
Apr 11, 2005
"jfitz" wrote
If this does not work, Elements settings may be scambled and need a reset. To reset, follow the reset insturctions found here:
http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2005/03/30/PE3forWindows.htm l

If the ctl+alt+shift method does not work for you, the preferences files in Windows XP can be located at C:\Documents and Settings\******\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\3.0\Editor\Photoshop Elements 3.0 Prefs.psp where ****** is the name of the user. With Elements closed, rename this file (don’t delete it until you are sure the fix works!!), then launch Elements. Elements will rebuild the preferences file with the default settings.
J
Jack
Apr 11, 2005
That was it. Moving the slider to change the number of thumbnails, displays the filename. In my case if I have more than 2, the filenames disappear. I have my resolution at 1152 X 864. I can live with that. As for the sort option that appears in the bottom, it looks like I can only sort by date or folder, not by filename.
I appreciate your help. There was no way that I could have figured that out.
Thanks.
Jack

"jfitz" wrote in message
"Jack" wrote in message
I did that (checked the box "Show filenames in Details")and still only the date appears in the organizer window. If I click the details checkbox on the bottom left as you mentioned, it turns the date on /off but still no file name appears. Is there some other setting I am missing?

Regardless of setting, the filename disappears, at 1024 x 768 screen res, when more than six thumbnails are displayed per row. Try moving the slider, bottom right, to display six or less thumbnails per row. This number may vary with screen resolution. If this does not work, Elements settings may be scambled and need a reset. To reset, follow the reset insturctions found here:
http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2005/03/30/PE3forWindows.htm l
Also, I dont find any "Sort" option on the menus

The "sort" option is in the window to the left of the details checkbox.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections