Posted By
boxofws
Mar 16, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

Before I started using Photoshop Elements 3.0, I was using Canon software to get pictures from my digital camera, and Canon downloads the pictures into folders named by the date the pictures were taken on. I don’t see how to do that with Photoshop, but I’d really like to. It makes it far easier for me to find the right picture from different applications since I can just go by the dates on the folders. Is there any way to make Photoshop do this? Until and unless I can, I have reluctantly begun to use the Canon software again because I just can’t stand Adobe’s cataloguing system of filing the pictures into folders of "date downloaded" – who cares about that? I link the pictures to the dates they were taken. Thanks for any info and/or advice!

Michelle
(SeaShel)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JM
Joseph Meehan
Mar 16, 2005
boxofws wrote:
Hi,

Before I started using Photoshop Elements 3.0, I was using Canon software to get pictures from my digital camera, and Canon downloads the pictures into folders named by the date the pictures were taken on. I don’t see how to do that with Photoshop, but I’d really like to. It makes it far easier for me to find the right picture from different applications since I can just go by the dates on the folders. Is there any way to make Photoshop do this? Until and unless I can, I have reluctantly begun to use the Canon software again because I just can’t stand Adobe’s cataloguing system of filing the pictures into folders of "date downloaded" – who cares about that? I link the pictures to the dates they were taken. Thanks for any info and/or advice!

Michelle
(SeaShel)

I also have a Cannon (20D) and using it’s software it downloads it to the dated directory. I have parent directory set as a watched folder so when I finish Elements opens up ready to import those new photos. I would think that would work for you, but I guess I am not sure how you are working.

I don’t generally leave them in those folders. In part because I generally only keep about 10% of what I take and I have a different system of organization for my folders. Elements makes it reasonable easy to move them to other folders however so it fits my method of working.

Maybe I just don’t understand what you are doing or want to do?

Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It’s Irish Math
B
boxofws
Mar 16, 2005
I could import the photos using Elements, the date taken is always retained, that’s not the problem. It’s when I want to find photos using other applications or just Windows Explorer that I have to click through two extra folders to get to the pictures as catalogued by Adobe. I don’t usually mess with the pictures’ organization, although I may delete some duplicates or bad shots, I leave them in the folders they were downloaded in. It isn’t such a big deal, but it is a peeve I guess.
M
mick
Mar 17, 2005
In article ,
says…
Hi,

Michelle
(SeaShel)
Having just borrowed a book today from the library to read up on PE 3, with the view to upgrading from Elements 2, I too have started to question the ability of the photo Organiser. Like you, my photos are on my hard drive in Year/Month/Day folders by date "taken". Reading the book it appears that you can either let the program put the photos in a folder labeled by a date/time stamp (ie the date/time of the download, not when the photo was taken) or by a name that you assign to them. So it looks as though you are still going to have to use the canon software if you want the year/month/day format automatically. OR, as I have done:

I ditched the canon software and use a small program called Downloader from Breezesys.com. That just uploads straight from the camera to windows with the time stamp of the file in the camera. I have also used ThumbsPlus for many years for organising photos. I once bought Photo Album 2.0 and hated it, Photo Organiser looks much the same from the pictures, perhaps a little prettier, so I don’t see much point in upgrading to PE 3.0

There is an interesting thread here about photo organisers http://www.robgalbraith.com/ubbthreads/printthread.php?Cat=& amp;Board=UBB11 &main=293120&type=thread
that I came across an hour ago about photo organising which might interest you.

BTW Downloader http://www.breezesys.com/Downloader/index.htm
Mick
M
mick
Mar 17, 2005
In article ,
says…

http://www.robgalbraith.com/ubbthreads/printthread.php?Cat=& amp;Board=UBB11 &main=293120&type=thread

The two lines above need to be entered as one line in your browser to work properly.

Mick

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections