Posted By
Trevor Smithson
Mar 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all

I’m looking for recommendation for a Windows XP-compatible video/picture player organizer. I’ve been using Ulead Photoexplorer but it keeps crashes and locks up constantly. A free/shareware program would be ideal but I’d be willing to pay up to $50 or so.

The feature I want most is the ability to display thumbnails of digital videos in a Windows-explorer-like format, with the simultaneous ability to play videos within the application.

Thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

D
Dave
Mar 9, 2005
On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 19:38:25 -0600, Trevor Smithson
wrote:

Hi all

I’m looking for recommendation for a Windows XP-compatible video/picture player organizer. I’ve been using Ulead Photoexplorer but it keeps crashes and locks up constantly. A free/shareware program would be ideal but I’d be willing to pay up to $50 or so.
The feature I want most is the ability to display thumbnails of digital videos in a Windows-explorer-like format, with the simultaneous ability to play videos within the application.
Thanks!

Free: http://www.irfanview.com/

Dave
PD
postman delivers
Mar 11, 2005
"Trevor Smithson" wrote in message
Hi all

Thanks!
Trevor,

I have use ACDSee for years, and I currently running version 6, it is not the latest release, and it will play some of the videos I download. If windows media player will play it, then version 6 will play perform, and it does a few more garden varieties. However, an avid media collector will install many different codec for their viewers, and I do not know if ADCSee will have that advanced codec ability. It does show a thumbnail of the many video in a directory, but not all of them, I haven’t used version 7, nor its update.

However, Quicktime, Real player junk, or a film recorded with divx or other less used codecs and it will choke, and make version 6 behave badly. I stopped using any of the Adobe, Jasc, Roxio or ArchSoft organizers as they have a long way to go, to match ACDSee, Compupic, Thumbs or the free Irfanview software. It seems every graphic package distributor now has its own organizer or program that pretends to be an organizer.

I should announce up front, I do not like any organizer that deviates from a Folder based filing system. Adobe, and Jasc software is almost adequate or ok, and they give you a million reasons why folder based organization is slow and out of date. Using any product deviating from Folder based organization makes you dependent on their product to locate images. We will all be in the position of trying to locate the irreplaceable, family, or current work after your hard drive has tossed it MBR, or crashed one day. Using anything outside of Folder based organization and you will never recover your photos without spend the big money & lots of time with a drive recovery service

Deviating from Folder based Organization makes it an impossible task to create an efficient auto back-up procedure. If you are a photographer, videographer, or a digital artists you know that hourly, daily or weekly back-up of your files is a job/business and hobbyist requirement.

I would try the free 15 or 30 day trials, to see if the latest version of some of the mentioned programs can accomplish your needs…

JR the postman
PD
postman delivers
Mar 13, 2005
"postman delivers" wrote in message
"Trevor Smithson" wrote in message
Hi all
<snip>
Trevor,

This information is from a reliable fellow poster –
Not a organizer, but all in one player.

"Try this one, it’s called Crystal Player at http://crystalplayer.com/." He continues, "Plays everything I’ve ever tried to play. Get the 1.85 — rev it’s free."

JR the postman
HM
Helmut M
Mar 20, 2005
The graphic viewer XnView (http:/www.xnview.com) is good for organizing images. It is fast, uses the folder based approach, intuitive to use, and free.

A video player is also included, but compared to "real" video players it is very limited.

Helmut

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections