Posted By
williamconifer
Sep 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greets,

Does anyone have the guide settings for both pages of a 3 payne folded brochure? Or a template?

Thanks
Jack

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MH
Mark Hiers
Sep 4, 2003
what size paper?
MS
Mike Saxon
Sep 5, 2003
For A4 size payper, put the vertycal guydes at 9.9 centymeters and 19.8 centymeters to get both of the three payges of your "3 payne folded brochure"

Myke
W
williamconifer
Sep 5, 2003
Sorry for the lack of detail. I’m using 8.5" x 11" in landscape.

Thanks
Jack
M
Matt
Sep 5, 2003
You might want to take typographic errors within a newsgroup with a grain of salt, English is not always the primary language for some people in them. The fact that he misspelled it twice must count for something.
W
williamconifer
Sep 5, 2003
Sorry for the lack of detail. I’m using 8.5" x 11" in landscape.

Thanks
Jack
P
Phosphor
Sep 5, 2003
How do people double-post with a time-stamp difference of 11 hours? Do they leave their browser windows open to the message compostion window open that long or what?
============================================

Bill-Jack…

The reason you haven’t gotten much response to your question is that you leave so much open to trying to guess what you want. We have no idea whether your brochure is to be finished as a Z-fold or a C-fold (panel sizes are different for each), what sort of margins you might want, whether you’ll be using more than one column per panel, whether anything will spread across two panels, etc.

There are two ways to go here that will provide MUCH more benefit for you than just getting a stock answer. One would be for you to go hit up Google and dig around for templates that will suit your needs. You might not find many for Photoshop, per se, but you can import EPS layouts that will work for you. Secondly, get out some 8.5" X 11" paper and fold it up on your own, then get out a ruler and a pencil. Measure the panel sizes, and physically draw the lines to designate margins and column widths. This will give you hands-on insight to how tri-fold brochures get built, and will teach you the things you need to consider when designing them. Look at brochures that are similar to the one you want to put together. Figure out the elements that you can apply to yours; look for measurements that you must adapt and customize for your specific needs. Your first few efforts will be time-consuming, but it’ll give you knowledge that will stick forever in your brain.

Try this, and if you get stuck on specifics, return here and ask more pointed questions that demonstrate that you have made a go of it on your own. More respect and attention will be paid to your questions and you’ll get more direct—and detailed—answers.
W
williamconifer
Sep 5, 2003
I’ll answer my own query. Guide settings for "tri-fold" brochure using 8.5×11 paper in landscape:

outside 3.6" & 7.3"
inside 3.7" & 7.4"

I found this info from another forum which I have forgotten the name and the poster.

Sorry if my spelling was a real payne.
jack
MS
Mike Saxon
Sep 6, 2003
Apologies, Jack, for my gentle dig at your spelling; but I do feel strongly that if you are designing a brochure for a client, whether that be a school newsletter or a large corporation, the client will expect you to be meticulous in both design and text details. And that includes checking all spelling and grammar.

I do agree with Phosphor about the benefits of the empirical approach as a learning tool.

Mike

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections