Posted By
Joseph Meehan
Dec 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Stinkweed wrote:
At reflection in ice, only I could not find out how to make the reflection less noticable.

A couple of things I might suggest. The reflection looks too small and I would also expect it to be stretched out a little. It also needs to look more like the real reflections. It would work better if the original image were made on a very calm day so you did not get the ripple effect. You might be able to edit the skater image to mimic the ripple effect better using some sort of painting effect on it.

Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It’s Irish Math

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
Charley
Dec 19, 2004
When you create the layer with the reflection you need to free transform it to give it a skew and also size it to be more realistic. Then reduce the opacity of this layer to make it transparent. You could also adjust brightness and contrast of the reflection layer to make it more like a shadow, but with some color remaining like a reflection would have.

Charley

"Stinkweed" wrote in message
At reflection in ice, only I could not find out how to make the reflection less noticable.

S
Stinkweed
Dec 19, 2004
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Stinkweed wrote:

A couple of things I might suggest. The reflection looks too small and I would also expect it to be stretched out a little. It also needs to look more like the real reflections. It would work better if the original image were made on a very calm day so you did not get the ripple effect. You might be able to edit the skater image to mimic the ripple effect better using some sort of painting effect on it.

Joseph Meehan

Ok, I thought I was wrong with the size of the image, just wasn’t sure. I understand what you are saying. The picture is taken out my front window, actually this fall. I could go out now and take another picture and get ice. But I am trying to learn new things and I wanted to learn to make the water look like ice and I used a filter for that. Right now I’m not sure which one I used. How would you have made the water into ice?
S
Stinkweed
Dec 19, 2004
Could you explain "free transform" I could not find where to reduce the opacity. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements. I looked for it and could not find it. I’m saving both your suggestions as I’m really enjoying working with the pictures. But as you can see, I have much to learn. Thanks for the advise.

"Charley" wrote in message
When you create the layer with the reflection you need to free transform it
to give it a skew and also size it to be more realistic. Then reduce the opacity of this layer to make it transparent. You could also adjust brightness and contrast of the reflection layer to make it more like a shadow, but with some color remaining like a reflection would have.

Charley

At reflection in ice, only I could not find out how to make the reflection
less noticable.

JM
Joseph Meehan
Dec 19, 2004
Stinkweed wrote:
Stinkweed wrote:

A couple of things I might suggest. The reflection looks too small and I would also expect it to be stretched out a little. It also needs to look more like the real reflections. It would work better if the original image were made on a very calm day so you did not get the ripple effect. You might be able to edit the skater image to mimic the ripple effect better using some sort of painting effect on it. —
Joseph Meehan

Ok, I thought I was wrong with the size of the image, just wasn’t sure. I understand what you are saying. The picture is taken out my front window, actually this fall. I could go out now and take another picture and get ice. But I am trying to learn new things and I wanted to learn to make the water look like ice and I used a filter for that. Right now I’m not sure which one I used. How would you have made the water into ice?

I would suggest waiting for a dead calm day so there are no ripples on the water. Then a little reduction in contrast and brightness should help it. As an alternative, shoot it over where there is ice there, like you suggested. It might be possible to clean it up and make it look more like ice, but it would seem to me that would be a lot of work.

Joseph Meehan

S
Stinkweed
Dec 19, 2004
Stinkweed wrote:
Stinkweed wrote:

A couple of things I might suggest. The reflection looks too small and I would also expect it to be stretched out a little. It also needs to look more like the real reflections. It would work better if the original image were made on a very calm day so you did not get the ripple effect. You might be able to edit the skater image to mimic the ripple effect better using some sort of painting effect on it. —
Joseph Meehan

I would suggest waiting for a dead calm day so there are no ripples on the water. Then a little reduction in contrast and brightness should help it. As an alternative, shoot it over where there is ice there, like you suggested. It might be possible to clean it up and make it look more like ice, but it would seem to me that would be a lot of work.

Joseph Meehan

It is almost impossible for me to get the lake totally calm as the lake is aerated, I had some pictures of it calm when the power was off but I have lost the pictures. I think I will just go out tomorrow and take a picture of the lake frozen. I’m not sure how you got the picture? I thought I posted it in another group but it isn’t there and it isn’t here that I can see. I’m kind of scratching my head on this one. I frequently post in the wrong group but this one has me really puzzled.
C
Corey
Dec 20, 2004
Stinkweed wrote:
Stinkweed wrote:

Joseph Meehan

I would suggest waiting for a dead calm day so there are no ripples
on
the water. Then a little reduction in contrast and brightness should
help
it. As an alternative, shoot it over where there is ice there, like you suggested. It might be possible to clean it up and make it look more
ice, but it would seem to me that would be a lot of work.

Joseph Meehan

It is almost impossible for me to get the lake totally calm as the lake is aerated, I had some pictures of it calm when the power was off but I
have
lost the pictures. I think I will just go out tomorrow and take a picture of the lake frozen. I’m not sure how you got the picture? I thought I posted it in another group but it isn’t there and it isn’t here that I can see. I’m kind of scratching my head on this one. I frequently post in
the
wrong group but this one has me really puzzled.

Hey Stinkweed,

You might be able to simulate calmer water by making a selection around the lake and applying a slight motion blur in the horizontal direction. In fact you might first try feathering the selection a tiny bit and copying and pasting it into a new layer. Then make a selection of the empty pixels surrounding your original selection, Select > Inverse, and then apply the motion blur. The selection will limit the boundaries of the blur. If that doesn’t do it, adding a bit of Gaussian Blur might. Then adjust the opacity of this layer to blend with the original one beneath it. The opacity control should be at the top of your layers palette.

Peadge 🙂
S
Stinkweed
Dec 20, 2004
"Peadge" wrote in message
Stinkweed wrote:
Stinkweed wrote:

Joseph Meehan

I would suggest waiting for a dead calm day so there are no ripples
on
help
it. As an alternative, shoot it over where there is ice there, like you
suggested. It might be possible to clean it up and make it look more

Joseph Meehan

It is almost impossible for me to get the lake totally calm as the lake is
aerated, I had some pictures of it calm when the power was off but I
have
lost the pictures. I think I will just go out tomorrow and take a picture
of the lake frozen. I’m not sure how you got the picture? I thought I posted it in another group but it isn’t there and it isn’t here that I can
see. I’m kind of scratching my head on this one. I frequently post in
the

Hey Stinkweed,

You might be able to simulate calmer water by making a selection around the
lake and applying a slight motion blur in the horizontal direction. In fact
you might first try feathering the selection a tiny bit and copying and pasting it into a new layer. Then make a selection of the empty pixels surrounding your original selection, Select > Inverse, and then apply the motion blur. The selection will limit the boundaries of the blur. If that doesn’t do it, adding a bit of Gaussian Blur might. Then adjust the opacity
of this layer to blend with the original one beneath it. The opacity control
should be at the top of your layers palette.

Peadge 🙂

Hey Peadge,

This is getting complicated, but I will keep trying, I’m determined to get this right. For sure I am going to learn a lot. 🙂 Thanks I sure am enjoying the graphics group.
PD
postman delivers
Dec 20, 2004
Stinkweed wrote:
Stinkweed wrote:

A couple of things I might suggest. The reflection looks too small and I would also expect it to be stretched out a little. It also needs to look more like the real reflections. It would work better if the original image were made on a very calm day so you
did
not get the ripple effect. You might be able to edit the skater image to mimic the ripple effect better using some sort of painting effect on it. —
Joseph Meehan

Ok, I thought I was wrong with the size of the image, just wasn’t sure. I understand what you are saying. The picture is taken out
my
front window, actually this fall. I could go out now and take another picture and get ice. But I am trying to learn new things
and
I wanted to learn to make the water look like ice and I used a
filter
for that. Right now I’m not sure which one I used. How would you have made the water into ice?

I would suggest waiting for a dead calm day so there are no
ripples
on
help

Joseph Meehan

It is almost impossible for me to get the lake totally calm as the lake is
have
of the lake frozen. I’m not sure how you got the picture? I thought
I
posted it in another group but it isn’t there and it isn’t here that I can
the

Hey Stinkweed,

you might first try feathering the selection a tiny bit and copying and pasting it into a new layer. Then make a selection of the empty pixels surrounding your original selection, Select > Inverse, and then apply
the
motion blur. The selection will limit the boundaries of the blur. If
that
doesn’t do it, adding a bit of Gaussian Blur might. Then adjust the opacity

Peadge 🙂

Hey Peadge,

This is getting complicated, but I will keep trying, I’m determined to get this right. For sure I am going to learn a lot. 🙂 Thanks I sure am enjoying the graphics group.
Stinkweed,

I am glad the alt.binaries.comp-graphics has been good for you. it is a great place to improve and meet some wonderful people…

I thank you for this newsgroup.

JR the postman
S
Stinkweed
Dec 20, 2004
"postman delivers" wrote in message
Stinkweed wrote:
Stinkweed wrote:

A couple of things I might suggest. The reflection looks too small and I would also expect it to be stretched out a little. It also needs to look more like the real reflections. It would work better if the original image were made on a very calm day so you
did
not get the ripple effect. You might be able to edit the skater image to mimic the ripple effect better using some sort of painting
effect on it. —
Joseph Meehan

Ok, I thought I was wrong with the size of the image, just wasn’t sure. I understand what you are saying. The picture is taken out
my
front window, actually this fall. I could go out now and take another picture and get ice. But I am trying to learn new things
and
I wanted to learn to make the water look like ice and I used a
filter
for that. Right now I’m not sure which one I used. How would you
have made the water into ice?

I would suggest waiting for a dead calm day so there are no
ripples
on
help

Joseph Meehan

It is almost impossible for me to get the lake totally calm as the lake
is
have
of the lake frozen. I’m not sure how you got the picture? I thought
I
posted it in another group but it isn’t there and it isn’t here that I can
the

Hey Stinkweed,

you might first try feathering the selection a tiny bit and copying and pasting it into a new layer. Then make a selection of the empty pixels surrounding your original selection, Select > Inverse, and then apply
the
motion blur. The selection will limit the boundaries of the blur. If
that
doesn’t do it, adding a bit of Gaussian Blur might. Then adjust the opacity

Peadge 🙂

Hey Peadge,

This is getting complicated, but I will keep trying, I’m determined to get
this right. For sure I am going to learn a lot. 🙂 Thanks I sure am enjoying the graphics group.
Stinkweed,

I am glad the alt.binaries.comp-graphics has been good for you. it is a great place to improve and meet some wonderful people…
I thank you for this newsgroup.

JR the postman
Thanks for sending me there. I am enjoying it, I’m trying to learn what someone put up and that is the reflection on ice, I got the reflection but have to improve on it and the ice.
C
Corey
Dec 20, 2004

Thanks for sending me there. I am enjoying it, I’m trying to learn what someone put up and that is the reflection on ice, I got the reflection but have to improve on it and the ice.

Beware. Photoshopping reflections on ice can be a very slippery slope!

Actually, if Elements has Filter > Distort > Glass, it might give a nice effect to the reflection.

Peadge 🙂
S
Stinkweed
Dec 20, 2004

Thanks for sending me there. I am enjoying it, I’m trying to learn what someone put up and that is the reflection on ice, I got the reflection but
have to improve on it and the ice.

Beware. Photoshopping reflections on ice can be a very slippery slope!
Actually, if Elements has Filter > Distort > Glass, it might give a nice effect to the reflection.

Peadge 🙂

I have been messing with it and I will post what I come up with in graphics. "hopefully".
PD
postman delivers
Dec 20, 2004
Peadge & Stinkweed,

Did you get the Osca textures and things that Gunn@ posted for him in ABP.wallpaper.duplicates

I made an announcement in comp-graphics – and here

Osca, has assembled a competent collection of textures, you need to capture them if you can take the time…

Peadge I did not announce in other graphic newsgroups (Photoshop – nor in the official Adobe groups)

JR the postman

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections