Posted By
Ted Kerin
Dec 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

I need to download BMP images from a proprietary program, then copy/paste them into an imaging program. I’m surprised by the inconsistencies between PS Elements and other programs (including Photoshop) in this task, and I hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

If I copy one of the images, then paste it into a "new" file in any full version of Photoshop — or even into PS LE 5, or even into Irfanview, or even into MS Paint(!) — I
get a proper image, like this (which I have re-saved as a jpg instead of a BMP, for purposes of the web):

http://home.earthlink.net/~tfkerin/repdog-irfan.jpg

However, if I try the same thing in PS Elements 2 or 3, I get a bad image like this (again, re-saved here as a jpg):

http://home.earthlink.net/~tfkerin/repdog-pse3.jpg

I have tried various settings in PS Elements before pasting the clipboard contents into the "new" image, trying different Modes for the "New" file, transparent-or-white backgrounds, etc,….and nothing seems to make a difference, although I cannot be sure whether I’ve missed some magic combination. The puzzling thing is, it seems to easily work fine in any imaging or image-viewing program I’ve tried, except PS Elements (2 or 3).

My problem, incidentally, is that although I have full Photoshop at one work site, I am limited to PS Elements at the other.

I should also mention that the downloading program does not let me save the ..bmp directly to disc. I can only copy/paste.

One work-around, for example, is to first copy/paste the image into Word (or Irfanview), then, from there, re-copy it and paste into Elements. This works OK. But it seems surprising that such steps should be necessary, especially when a program as primitive as MS Paint lets me paste the original BMP directly into the program, without this problem.

Any thoughts as to the cause of this quirk of PS Elements, would be much appreciated. It would be great to learn if there are settings in PS Elements (I have both 3 and 2) that would avoid the need for using other programs as a middle-man. But, even if that’s not possible, I’m just very curious as to why this difference in functionality exists between PS Elements and all other versions of Photoshop, even the old PS LE, regarding these .BMP files.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

PD
postman delivers
Dec 2, 2004
"Ted Kerin" wrote in message
Hi all,

I need to download BMP images from a proprietary program, then copy/paste them into an imaging program. I’m surprised by the inconsistencies between PS Elements and other programs (including Photoshop) in this task, and I hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

If I copy one of the images, then paste it into a "new" file in any full version of Photoshop — or even into PS LE 5, or even into Irfanview, or even into MS Paint(!) — I
get a proper image, like this (which I have re-saved as a jpg instead of a BMP, for purposes of the web):

http://home.earthlink.net/~tfkerin/repdog-irfan.jpg

However, if I try the same thing in PS Elements 2 or 3, I get a bad image like this (again, re-saved here as a jpg):

http://home.earthlink.net/~tfkerin/repdog-pse3.jpg

I have tried various settings in PS Elements before pasting the clipboard contents into the "new" image, trying different Modes for the "New" file, transparent-or-white backgrounds, etc,….and nothing seems to make a difference, although I cannot be sure whether I’ve missed some magic combination. The puzzling thing is, it seems to easily work fine in any imaging or image-viewing program I’ve tried, except PS Elements (2 or 3).
My problem, incidentally, is that although I have full Photoshop at one
work
site, I am limited to PS Elements at the other.

I should also mention that the downloading program does not let me save
the
.bmp directly to disc. I can only copy/paste.

One work-around, for example, is to first copy/paste the image into Word
(or
Irfanview), then, from there, re-copy it and paste into Elements. This
works
OK. But it seems surprising that such steps should be necessary,
especially
when a program as primitive as MS Paint lets me paste the original BMP directly into the program, without this problem.

Any thoughts as to the cause of this quirk of PS Elements, would be much appreciated. It would be great to learn if there are settings in PS
Elements
(I have both 3 and 2) that would avoid the need for using other programs
as
a middle-man. But, even if that’s not possible, I’m just very curious as
to
why this difference in functionality exists between PS Elements and all other versions of Photoshop, even the old PS LE, regarding these .BMP
files.

Ted,

I am going to post a screen capture program I have has for many years – runs in all windows I have tested these 95, 98, 98se, XP home, XP professional. I have not tried it with, so do not know about 2000 or NT –

I am going to post the zip file to another newsgroup where it will be an on-topic post
alt dot binaries dot pictures dot utilities (dot = . – it is spelled that way to preventing Usenet bots from discovering and spamming the newsgroup)

Try that program and see if you can accomplish what you want. I know it is not the same as understanding what is wrong, but it should allow you a alternative test along the way to solving your problem using the clipboard/print screen.

sseize is posted (4 Ted)

JR the postman

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections